Researcher Creates Skin Based Touch Technology

CaptainCrunch

Imp-imation Department
Jul 21, 2008
WestMountain said:
How does it work in bright sunlight?
It's acoustically activated. It works without the presence of light - the display is only to help the user navigate. Bright sunlight would probably make the display harder to read, but it would still function to spec.

Audioave10

Mar 24, 2010
I'd rather play on my big screen. It might be useful for portable devices however.
It should be noted that using skin for this could cause long term cancer.

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
Old news.
______
OT: That aside, I was hoping this article was about something that piggy backed our nervous system and detected touch instead of sound or light.

I'm still waiting for a neural nanonic interface dangnabbit!

Sadly that will be done when episode 3 is done :p

Hyrulian Hero

May 20, 2009
ok, so, some people are debating whether or not this is old news when what you should be focusing on is... HOLY Flying Car Space Age Technology Batman! That is freaking amazing! Fuck the DS's touch screen, you can use your whole damn arm! Imagine having video games projected to your arm... I can't wait until this is readily available in devices.

syndicated44

Apr 25, 2009
How bizare would it be if your just walking down the street tapping on your arm and getting music to play!

BabySinclair

Apr 15, 2009
Old yes, awesome nevertheless. Of course to me implanting into the arm and then adding additional perks are the first steps into cyber-technology. Mini-projector in the eye and a bluetooth receiver attached to a micro-processing chip and we have true portable computers. Image forms on the retina (or projects out)and somatic gestures control the interface.

Evil ideas are forming...

Jingermanoo

Mar 7, 2009
It's definitely a step in an interesting direction.
The actual practicality of this particular model and the arm projector thing is questionable though.

Allan Foe

Dec 20, 2007
Jingermanoo said:
It's definitely a step in an interesting direction.
The actual practicality of this particular model and the arm projector thing is questionable though.
But of course, it's a prototype after all. In fact you should be surprised how well it works at this stage.

Drof

Apr 17, 2009
There are already computer input devices that can detect where your looking and interpret brainwaves as key presses, though I think at the moment they are a little tempramental and buggy and require a LOT of calibration , however the technology is available commercially, Combine the two...

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
Brotherofwill said:
The tetris bit was neat.
My first thought: "OH MY GOD I WANT THAT TETRIS GAME"

This looks pretty cool, and probably more useful than, say, the iPad