Researchers unleash genophage on...mosquitoes

nyttyn

Sep 9, 2008
Oh dear. There's all SORTS of ways this could go horribly, horribly wrong. Here's hoping that it doesnt.
eyesonflux said:
Ok, I've read that creepypasta before, and I must beg the question: What in the seven hells does that have to do with this? Last I checked, mosquitos weren't satanic spawned shadows from a creepypasta.

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
NightHawk21 said:
Bastards my group suggested this as a method of counteracting the spread of invasive species here in Ontario (not mosquitos) and our instructors gave us a 70% and said it wasn't possible.
Take the article, print it out, wrap it around your fist and go punch him in the face... with FACTS! A bloody nose is just a weaker beings way of apologizing for being wrong!

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
NightHawk21 said:
Bastards my group suggested this as a method of counteracting the spread of invasive species here in Ontario (not mosquitos) and our instructors gave us a 70% and said it wasn't possible.
Were you after the sea lamprey? Those things creep me out, they're like leech-fish.

They've gotten into the Great Lakes and I hear they kill quite a bit of fish

Gavmando

Feb 3, 2009
jpoon said:
Gavmando said:
cthulhumythos said:
Gavmando said:
What right do we have to wipe something out because we dont like it?

Sure, mozzies kill a fair few people every year, but that's nature's population control. We already have far too many people in this world and yet we keep breeding without thought to lessening our impact on the environment. And now we are going to royaly fuck with it?

We have no right to arbitrarily kill something simply because we dont like it.

People die.

It's nature.

Get over it.
we're humans

we murder shit we don't like

get over it.
I have nothing but pitty for you.
I'm pretty sure if there were a few compelling reasons to keep the little shits around the scientists that are debating this would reconsider. I would be more than happy to know that they are out of the foodchain and since there are so many other critters that are far less threatening waiting to take their place, there are few reasons to object.

I say do it....FOR SCIENCE!
Just because you can do something doesnt automatically mean that you should.
Once you start going down the route of pure science, you start to prove religious people right in their view that science is "evil." As someone who grew up as an atheiest, I dont want the religious nut jobs to "win." You can still use science, but you dont have to loose your humanity to do it.
I grew up not believing in some celestial teapot and I have a good set of morals. The only reason we're contemplating killing these mozzies is because they're inconveniencing us. And that is not living in harmony with the planet.

hydroblitz

May 15, 2009
Gavmando said:
jpoon said:
Gavmando said:
cthulhumythos said:
Gavmando said:

Sure, mozzies kill a fair few people every year, but that's nature's population control. We already have far too many people in this world and yet we keep breeding without thought to lessening our impact on the environment. And now we are going to royaly fuck with it?

People die.

It's nature.

Get over it.
we're humans

get over it.
I'm pretty sure if there were a few compelling reasons to keep the little shits around the scientists that are debating this would reconsider. I would be more than happy to know that they are out of the foodchain and since there are so many other critters that are far less threatening waiting to take their place, there are few reasons to object.

Um, they aren't doing it "just because they can" they are doing it because the mosquito is a annoying, infuriating, disease spreading, inconsequential parasite that the world would be better off without! in case you haven't noticed, humans are not good at "living in harmony with nature." that computer you're sitting at? the electricity that's powering it? the (probably) air conditioned building you're sitting in (presumably) they are all products of humanity adapting our environment to suit us, as opposed to the other way around like other animals on the planet.

Gavmando

Feb 3, 2009
hydroblitz said:
Gavmando said:
jpoon said:
Gavmando said:
cthulhumythos said:
Gavmando said:

People die.

It's nature.

Get over it.
we're humans

get over it.

Um, they aren't doing it "just because they can" they are doing it because the mosquito is a annoying, infuriating, disease spreading, inconsequential parasite that the world would be better off without! in case you haven't noticed, humans are not good at "living in harmony with nature." that computer you're sitting at? the electricity that's powering it? the (probably) air conditioned building you're sitting in (presumably) they are all products of humanity adapting our environment to suit us, as opposed to the other way around like other animals on the planet.
And how's that working out for us?
Floods, droughts, tsunamis, earthquakes, extinctions, global warming, food shortages and more.

We are not better than nature no matter how hard we try. If we fuck with it, it will find some way to fuck us back. And we're not going to enjoy it.

hydroblitz

May 15, 2009
Gavmando said:
hydroblitz said:
Gavmando said:
jpoon said:
Gavmando said:
cthulhumythos said:
Gavmando said:

People die.

It's nature.

Get over it.
we're humans

get over it.

Floods, droughts, tsunamis, earthquakes, extinctions, global warming, food shortages and more.

We are not better than nature no matter how hard we try. If we fuck with it, it will find some way to fuck us back. And we're not going to enjoy it.
You act as if nature is some conscious, vengeful being with the capacity for hate. doesn't sound very atheistic to me. also, your post implies that none of those problems existed before we were here, which is frankly, ridiculous.

tehlordofmyownworld

Jun 12, 2011
The things that eat mosquitos, and stuff..And... like..I can't explain it, but killing off most of any species just seems to me like a terrible thing to do, even something like a mosquito.

GodofCider

Nov 16, 2010
...How will this even work?

So...they are expecting the relatively infertile mosquitoes to outproduce the fertile ones, thus lowering the overall mosquito population?

Perhaps it's simply because it's late, but how will this function in the desired manner?

Gavmando

Feb 3, 2009
hydroblitz said:
Gavmando said:
hydroblitz said:
Gavmando said:
jpoon said:
Gavmando said:
cthulhumythos said:
Gavmando said:

People die.

It's nature.

Get over it.
we're humans

get over it.

You act as if nature is some conscious, vengeful being with the capacity for hate. doesn't sound very atheistic to me. also, your post implies that none of those problems existed before we were here, which is frankly, ridiculous.
Heh. I grew up atheist, but then became a Buddhist. (Which is not a religion.) As Buddhisim has an excellent set of moral guide lines that dont require you to believe in imaginary beings.

And you're attempting to put human emotions on something that just doesnt work that way. Vengeance and hate are concepts created by humans. That's not how nature sees things. Something is out of balance, therefor it must be put back into balance.

Dieseases, natural disasters, predators and limited food sources are population control. But we have become smart enough that we can bypass these factors, thus putting us out of harmony with the world. And nature doesnt like things being out of harmony.

A simple way to look at it is, "Dont shit where you eat." And we're shitting all over our kitchen table.

There is nothing in atheisim that says you cant live in harmony with the world. There's nothing in atheisim that says that you should kill something because it's in your way or that you want to see what happens. It just means that you dont believe in a magical sky god. And atheisim does not mean that you must worship science. You can still have morals and not believe in a god.

And of course those problems existed before we came along. But we're speeding the processes up. We're making things worse. And if we intentionally make a species extinct because it inconveniences us, then we are no where near as smart as we think we are. And we deserve to be made extinct.

NinjaDuckie

Sep 9, 2009
Man, this seems so much like we're playing God that it might actually be dangerous. Isn't the ecosystem in place for a reason?

Also, I assume it's now plausible to breed a race of sterile Bieber fangirls in order to prevent the bloodline from continuing any further?

hydroblitz

May 15, 2009
Gavmando said:
hydroblitz said:
Gavmando said:
hydroblitz said:
Gavmando said:
jpoon said:
Gavmando said:
cthulhumythos said:
Gavmando said:

People die.

It's nature.

Get over it.
we're humans

get over it.

Heh. I grew up atheist, but then became a Buddhist. (Which is not a religion.) As Buddhisim has an excellent set of moral guide lines that dont require you to believe in imaginary beings.

And you're attempting to put human emotions on something that just doesnt work that way. Vengeance and hate are concepts created by humans. That's not how nature sees things. Something is out of balance, therefor it must be put back into balance.

Dieseases, natural disasters, predators and limited food sources are population control. But we have become smart enough that we can bypass these factors, thus putting us out of harmony with the world. And nature doesnt like things being out of harmony.

A simple way to look at it is, "Dont shit where you eat." And we're shitting all over our kitchen table.

There is nothing in atheisim that says you cant live in harmony with the world. There's nothing in atheisim that says that you should kill something because it's in your way or that you want to see what happens. It just means that you dont believe in a magical sky god. And atheisim does not mean that you must worship science. You can still have morals and not believe in a god.

And of course those problems existed before we came along. But we're speeding the processes up. We're making things worse. And if we intentionally make a species extinct because it inconveniences us, then we are no where near as smart as we think we are. And we deserve to be made extinct.
I am familiar with the concept of equilibrium, but name one thing the mosquito adds to any given ecosystem that another creature cannot provide just as well. you spoon some water out of a glass, the rest moves to take its place. nature is adaptable, it's tough.

I'm an agnostic, and I have my own set of moral guidelines, having been raised atheist. I'm not saying atheism has anything to do with "not being in harmony with nature" I'm saying that humanity just doesn't work that way. the fact is, west nile, malaria, and a host of other diseases kill hundreds of thousands of people a year. (781,000 people died in 2010, just from malaria) I see no good reason for us to suffer their existence any longer.

I don't "worship science" but I like to think "what would *blank* do to make the world a better place to live in" and you had better bet that a lot of people in third world countries run the risk of dying due to mosquitoes every day. I just don't think its right to deny them help because "nature wont like it". I doubt the loss of mosquitoes would cause floods, droughts, tsunamis, and the like, because all of those are caused by tectonic plates shifting, excessive rainfall or lack of it! I don't look at nature as an entity that can be pissed off, that's all. but again, I'm agnostic, so I cant show bias and say it's not a possibility.

cthulhumythos

Aug 28, 2009
Gavmando said:
cthulhumythos said:
Gavmando said:

People die.

It's nature.

Get over it.
we're humans

get over it.
'kay.

now all we need next is some sort of force field that only repels spiders. as much as i detest the little monsters, i must begrudgingly admit they have some purpose in that they kill a ton of other bugs.

i don't know if you noticed, but i'm not a bug person.

Sarah Frazier

Dec 7, 2010
I'd rather they get an effective way to keep skeeters from carrying malaria, but failing that I don't see too much harm in sterilizing a few. After all, the female may get mated with a fertile male afterwards and still pop out viable eggs.

Let's just sit back for a while and see how a 20% drop in population affects things and not try to go for lower just yet.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
80% is huge that may sound like alot but mosquitoe over population is a huge thing in Mannatoba they have to spray down entire fields and forests just to try and keep them from getting to out of hand its so bad