Resident Evil 6 Details Spill Out Of Captivate 2012

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Resident Evil 6 Details Spill Out Of Captivate 2012

Plot details, new screenshots and a new, earlier release date have all been unveiled for Capcom's upcoming Resident Evil 6.

Now scheduled for release on November 20 for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 (with a PC version "to follow"), Resident Evil 6 continues the seemingly endless tale of biological horror run rampant in a world where doctors have been entirely replaced by color-coded weeds.

Capcom claims the game is the "most ambitious, immersive and feature rich title of the series to date and promises to be the dramatic horror experience of the year," but that's to be expected, isn't it?

As for solid details on the game's plot, I'll let the company's official press release explain:

It has been ten years since the Raccoon City incident and the President of the United States has decided to reveal the truth behind what took place in the belief that it will curb the current resurgence in bioterrorist activity. Due to be by the President's side is his personal friend and Raccoon City survivor, Leon S. Kennedy, but when the venue suffers a bioterrorist attack, Leon is forced to face a President transformed beyond recognition and make his hardest ever decision. At the same time, Bioterrorism Security Assessment Alliance member Chris Redfield arrives in China, itself under threat of a bioterrorist attack. With no country safe from these attacks and the ensuing outbreaks, the entire world's population is united by a common fear that there is no hope left.

That same PR blurb also breathlessly trumpets the fact that RE6 finally sees Leon Kennedy and Chris Redfield join forces in what we can only presume is the most masculine Resident Evil to date. Granted, both characters team with female supporting cast members, but I've got my fingers crossed for at least one macho, yet subtly homoerotic embrace from our male leads. Is that weird?

Alongside this info dump, the trailer above and the gallery of screens you can find attached below, Capcom also revealed info on the game's pre-order bonuses. GameStop, Best Buy and Amazon will each offer exclusive maps to attract prospective fans, though details on how these maps will differ or what each might offer remain a secret.

Personally I'm a huge fan of the Resident Evil universe, and will continue playing sequels until Capcom finally decides that the series has become unprofitable, but how do the rest of you feel? Are you miffed at the speed with which Capcom unveils new zombie shooting simulators, or do you find this series' longevity to be a sly nod to its inclusion of enemies that simply refuse to die?

[gallery=695]

JokerboyJordan

Sep 6, 2009
Damn... I didn't think he'd be Wesker's son, I was expecting him to be Alex. Well I guess they can't tie up all their loose ends...

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Now upgrading from passive interest to active interest, good job Capcom.

Earnest Cavalli said:
Now scheduled for release on November 20 for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3...
October 2nd, not November 20th.

Not doing well today are you?

robert022614

meeeoooow
Dec 1, 2009
I hope chris doesnt just go around shooting asians in China because that would be racist. /poor joke

Looks good, just hoping it will be scary at least a little.

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
gigastar said:
Now upgrading from passive interest to active interest, good job Capcom.

Earnest Cavalli said:
Now scheduled for release on November 20 for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3...
October 2nd, not November 20th.

Not doing well today are you?
No, no I'm not.

*sniffle* I need a hug.

Mindless1

Feb 29, 2012
I'm pretty stoked. I hear alot of flames from how far we from the originals and Capcom is just pumping out more and more bastardizations of its classics. Personally I'm okay, it's like the game has been infected with T/V/G virus and is mutating at a rapid rate with every installment.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I'm still a fan of the Resident Evil franchise, even with crappy spinoffs and such, I still think it's a good franchise, even if it's already past beyond ridiculousness.

I may be one of the few people of earth that liked Resident Evil 5, I thought it was a tad bit better than 4 regarding difficulty and overall it was pretty hectic, even it it's not a horror game anymore.

Also, c'mon, Chris and Leon together is waaaay more manly than Marcus and Dom's homoerotic relationship.

VonKlaw

Jan 30, 2012
Pretty exited for this, loved playing through RE5 with my dad. Do they really expect us to pre-order it from 3 different places to get all the pre-order content though? >.>

Frontastic

Aug 3, 2010
'C' Virus? Wesker Jr? Jesus Capcom, I'm seriously looking forward to this but wow, even by your standards; this is an impressive level of stupid. Though, stupid is part of the reason I love Resi so... Good job! :D

But on the other hand...
In-canon acknowledgement that was Wesker was an idiot? Sherry? Chris vs. Leon?! Ok, I may be fangirling-out a little inside now.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
as long as I get to shoot monsters, I'm good. This was probably the best thing that came out of Captivate since all they had was Lost Planet 3 and NT's tepid attempt at DMC that we'll sweep under the rug a month after it comes out.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
So the franchise went all Alien cacoon on us (well that what it look like before the thing emerge out of it). Also I don't like the new style as I barely recongise Leon until they said his name.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
...Why are they suddenly throwing in that Wesker had a son? Wouldn't it just be so much easier to say that he's Alex Wesker?

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
I've always liked RE. I like RE Zero, and Re 2 the most; re 3 I give a miss, and RE 4 was a nice update to the mechanics. Re 5, I only played a little, but I found little to enjoy there, and did not buy. I always yearn for it to go back to the ambiance of RE 2: the exploration, the fear, the rattles at the window every time you pass when SUDDENLY the monsters finally burst through...

RE 2 was like metroid with zombies. I miss that.

Frontastic said:
'C' Virus? Wesker Jr? Jesus Capcom, I'm seriously looking forward to this but wow, even by your standards; this is an impressive level of stupid. Though, stupid is part of the reason I love Resi so... Good job! :D
I was thinking the same thing. My great grandchildren will be playing resident evil games where leon finally stops the release of the Z virus.

ServebotFrank

Jul 1, 2010
Scarim Coral said:
So the franchise went all Alien cacoon on us (well that what it look like before the thing emerge out of it). Also I don't like the new style as I barely recongise Leon until they said his name.
I guess he's supposed to be really old or something since Sherry seems to be in her 20s and she was how old in RE2?

OT: Return of zombies? This might actually be really good. If this is going to be RE4 combined with the horror elements and desperation of RE2 and 3 then I'll definitely buy.

Frontastic said:

But on the other hand...
In-canon acknowledgement that was Wesker was an idiot? Sherry? Chris vs. Leon?! Ok, I may be fangirling-out a little inside now.
Capcom is not exactly known for great storytelling.

FamoFunk

Dad, I'm in space.
Mar 10, 2010
SupahGamuh said:
I may be one of the few people of earth that liked Resident Evil 5, I thought it was a tad bit better than 4 regarding difficulty and overall it was pretty hectic, even it it's not a horror game anymore.
I'll join you, I actually really liked 5; even though the split screen pissed me off because it didn't take up the whole screen.

Looking forward to this, looks a bit more darker too which is good.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
FamoFunk said:
SupahGamuh said:
I'll join you, I actually really liked 5; even though the split screen pissed me off because it didn't take up the whole screen.

Looking forward to this, looks a bit more darker too which is good.
I played the PC version here, while it sadly doesn't support splitscreen, I was somehow lucky to find a cooperative stranger to play co-op with :p, for more difficulty, play alone, you'll may even throw away your controller in frustration, if you know what I mean ;)