Resident Evil 7 Review - Welcome to the Family

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
TheFinish said:
I've been playing it for a while and I really like it. I feared it would be like Amnesia or Outlast, but it's actually a lot like Alien:Isolation, except Inventory management is a much, much more important aspect of this game.

I mean I rage about the character being a slowpoke and some parts of the game took me out by being unintentionally hilarious, but its still a very enjoyable game.
I played alien but quickly got bored when I felt like I was playing hide and seek with an unkillable monster. I've down loaded Outlast but never played it. Could I ask what you mean with your comparisons as Ive not played much of the games you have mentioned.

TheFinish

Grand Admiral
May 17, 2010
bjj hero said:
TheFinish said:
I've been playing it for a while and I really like it. I feared it would be like Amnesia or Outlast, but it's actually a lot like Alien:Isolation, except Inventory management is a much, much more important aspect of this game.

I mean I rage about the character being a slowpoke and some parts of the game took me out by being unintentionally hilarious, but its still a very enjoyable game.
I played alien but quickly got bored when I felt like I was playing hide and seek with an unkillable monster. I've down loaded Outlast but never played it. Could I ask what you mean with your comparisons as Ive not played much of the games you have mentioned.
Sure thing man

I dislike Outlast because it is, essentially, a first person adventure game. Except you can die, which is something I don't like. And aside from puzzles, gameplay is very much "hide and seek from invincible monster" which gets boring fast. You have no way of fighting back, no weapons, no nothin.

Alien Isolation, despite having the Alien around, was much more dynamic. You had tools, you had weapons, you could craft items, etc. Besides, the Alien was not the only enemy, there were humans and synthethics to deal with as well. Stealth played a big part, but you could go loud if needed, it just ate a lot of resources.

Resident Evil 7 is very much like Alien Isolation: the emphasis is on exploring and resource management. But you're also armed, and capable of taking on most enemies. There's very, very few instances in the entire game where you can't "beat" an enemy roaming around (you can pummel it down to give you a breather, but not disable it permanently) and they are very short as well. Plus, the enemy follows a preset pattern, unlike the Alien which could be incredibly random. Oh and the game is also much more lenient, since it has automatic checkpoints and safe rooms where you can save your game/manage your items without being worried of a monster eating you.

Now, I don't know when you got bored in Alien: Isolation, but the Alien sequences in that game can be very long sometimes, which doesn't happen here in RE7. So if you think you could endure 10 minutes of hide and seek two or three times in the game, go for it.

Oh and you didn't aske me, but it took me 8 hours to complete the game on Normal. I got most, but not all, of the collectibles too.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
TheFinish said:
bjj hero said:
TheFinish said:

Sure thing man

I dislike Outlast because it is, essentially, a first person adventure game. Except you can die, which is something I don't like. And aside from puzzles, gameplay is very much "hide and seek from invincible monster" which gets boring fast. You have no way of fighting back, no weapons, no nothin.

Alien Isolation, despite having the Alien around, was much more dynamic. You had tools, you had weapons, you could craft items, etc. Besides, the Alien was not the only enemy, there were humans and synthethics to deal with as well. Stealth played a big part, but you could go loud if needed, it just ate a lot of resources.

Resident Evil 7 is very much like Alien Isolation: the emphasis is on exploring and resource management. But you're also armed, and capable of taking on most enemies. There's very, very few instances in the entire game where you can't "beat" an enemy roaming around (you can pummel it down to give you a breather, but not disable it permanently) and they are very short as well. Plus, the enemy follows a preset pattern, unlike the Alien which could be incredibly random. Oh and the game is also much more lenient, since it has automatic checkpoints and safe rooms where you can save your game/manage your items without being worried of a monster eating you.

Now, I don't know when you got bored in Alien: Isolation, but the Alien sequences in that game can be very long sometimes, which doesn't happen here in RE7. So if you think you could endure 10 minutes of hide and seek two or three times in the game, go for it.

Oh and you didn't aske me, but it took me 8 hours to complete the game on Normal. I got most, but not all, of the collectibles too.
Thanks. Thats really helpful. I liked alien until the alien really:)

TheFinish

Grand Admiral
May 17, 2010
bjj hero said:
Glad to be of help. Regarding Isolation, a guy on the steam forums posted a file that essentially disables the Alien AI during gameplay (you still get cutscenes and scripted interactions, but the Alien leaves you alone for actual gameplay) which you can find here:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/214490/discussions/0/620695877286051362/

I didn't use it myself, but a friend was very much like you and hated those sections. After he used that modified file he loved the game, for the story and enviroments mostly. So, you know, maybe give it a whirl if you're feeling like it.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
TheFinish said:
bjj hero said:
Glad to be of help. Regarding Isolation, a guy on the steam forums posted a file that essentially disables the Alien AI during gameplay (you still get cutscenes and scripted interactions, but the Alien leaves you alone for actual gameplay) which you can find here:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/214490/discussions/0/620695877286051362/

I didn't use it myself, but a friend was very much like you and hated those sections. After he used that modified file he loved the game, for the story and enviroments mostly. So, you know, maybe give it a whirl if you're feeling like it.
That sounds ideal for me. Unfortunately I got it cheap on a black Friday sale as a download for my xbone. If it's cheap enough on steam at somepoint I may give it a go.