Resident Evil 8 is nothing like 4 - here's why.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
After a short hiatus from gaming, I recently got the chance to play RE8, so I was very late to the party.

Having completely it once I found myself wanting to replay it immediately afterwards, which I don't do very often.

I would like to share some of my thoughts on the game as I don't think they jell with a lot of the received wisdom about it.

I have seen a lot of people compare village to RE4, some even saying it follows it's formula beat for beat. I did not find this to be the case. The similarities are superficial, such as the merchant and the introductory lycan attack.

Playing this game on hardcore on my first run (as I feel is appropriate for the survival horror RE games) this did not feel like an action-horror game at all to me until the very end segment with Chris (apart from the bosses). It felt much more like survival horror to me. Much of my playthrough was spent running or fighting in confined spaces with limited ammo.

Taking the most action heavy areas... The opening attack, I spent most of my time running and hiding.

The next very heavy 'non-boss' action section is the stronghold (which is a very long time after the opening section). I literally ran through chunks of that area to conserve ammo. That felt A BIT like RE4 except the enemies move much more erratically so it's feels a lot more horror to me. Plus I didn't fight them for the most part. You literally have to fight enemies to move on in those sorts of areas in RE4.

After the stronghold, you are back to survival horror in the factory. To me that area feels like an old school resident evil area with the backtracking etc and the mechanical horror guys to get passed in the dark. It's good stuff. Some might compare that to the guys you have to shoot on their weak points on RE4 with the heat scope on. That, however, was the most survival horror-y part RE4.

At the end of the game, it does becomes action heavy with Chris, but for the rest, it wasn't (except the bosses). Yes you can upgrade your stuff and the merchant can make you overpowered after repeat playthroughs. But that's literally for replay value.

If you play RE8 on hardcore the first time around, it feels like a proper old school RE game. The village, the castle, house Beneviento, the mines and the factory are all very survival horror. Most of the other sections are run and/or hide on hardcore, with some defending yourself.

I suspect that most people played on standard first time. I would say it's best not to do this in RE games as it takes away the fun and tension of surviving and makes the game feel completely different.

(Although I would imagine the psychological horror of house Beneviento is scary no matter what difficulty you play,the first time).

Last edited:
Reactions: Drathnoxis

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I didn't play RE8, but I watched a playthrough of it. It's definitely not a straight copy of RE4, but it draws inspiration from it for sure. But you're right, merchant and all that stuff is just superficial wrapping surrounding the true core of the RE8 experience... horrific hand injury. That's the thing that will always set RE8 apart for me. Like that one time his hand gets cut off, and the little cuff of his shirt is still attached to his arm, and then when he reattaches his hand his shirt gets reattached too!

Reactions: BrawlMan

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I didn't play RE8, but I watched a playthrough of it. It's definitely not a straight copy of RE4, but it draws inspiration from it for sure. But you're right, merchant and all that stuff is just superficial wrapping surrounding the true core of the RE8 experience... horrific hand injury. That's the thing that will always set RE8 apart for me. Like that one time his hand gets cut off, and the little cuff of his shirt is still attached to his arm, and then when he reattaches his hand his shirt gets reattached too!
I wasn't really shocked or anything by stuff like his hand getting chopped off. I really don't think watching someone else play a horror game gives you a good idea of the feeling you get because you aren't an active participant. It's all about decision-making in tough spots. I was pleasantly surprised with the game in that sense (even though a lot of reviewers disagreed). I think, as I say, a lot of people started on a standard which completely changes the gameplay.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I will get the Gold Edition just for 3rd person mode and all the bonus DLC. If it was not for that, I would not be interested. Call me shallow on this one, but I do not care.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I will get the Gold Edition just for 3rd person mode and all the bonus DLC. If it was not for that, I would not be interested. Call me shallow on this one, but I do not care.
It's genuinely really good. It's a lot of fun. I am an old-school fan really. Bu having played every game, it is up there for me - better than 5 and 6 by a country mile for me. Also thinks it beats 7, 4, Zero and the remake of 3 for me (although I still like those games a lot). Still not as good as the original trilogy, Code Veronica, or the remakes of 1 and 2, in my opinion.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It's genuinely really good. It's a lot of fun. I am an old-school fan really. Bu having played every game, it is up there for me - better than 5 and 6 by a country mile for me. Also thinks it beats 7, 4, Zero and the remake of 3 for me (although I still like those games a lot). Still not as good as the original trilogy, Code Veronica, or the remakes of 1 and 2, in my opinion.
I can tell it's better than five and six, but that wasn't a big justification for me to buy the game in it's original release. Even though I have not played RE8, I will play it any day over CV. When the 8th game is literally just the fourth game, but a different character and different type of monsters, you have to do more for me. Especially when we're already getting a remake of 4. 8 definitely has more content going for it, compared to RE3 Remake, but I already know I played 3 more than 8, even when I get the Gold Edition.

For me, the gold standard of modern survival horror is RE2 REMAKE and Evil Within 2.

I'll take your views in consideration.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I can tell it's better than five and six, but that wasn't a big justification for me to buy the game in it's original release. Even though I have not played RE8, I will play it any day over CV. When the 8th game is literally just the fourth game, but a different character and different type of monsters, you have to do more for me. Especially when we're already getting a remake of 4. 8 definitely has more content going for it, compared to RE3 Remake, but I already know I played 3 more than 8, even when I get the Gold Edition.

For me, the gold standard of modern survival horror is RE2 REMAKE and Evil Within 2.

I'll take your views in consideration.
Well, I don't think it does play like 4, as I talked about extensively on this thread. That was the point I was trying to make to get people to try it who have watched footage or listened to reviewers. It is its own thing I think. If it wasn't an RE game there's no way it would get compared to RE4, it just does because it's a resident evil game. Some superficial similarities is why people are comparing it (having a merchant and loot, opening having an attack sequence etc). Mentioned this higher up. Only one man's opinion but I have played most RE games.

I've still never played Evil Within 2 as I didn't finish the first one. I might give that a go.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Well, I don't think it does play like 4, as I talked about extensively on this thread. That was the point I was trying to make to get people to try it who have watched footage or listened to reviewers. It is its own thing I think. If it wasn't an RE game there's no way it would get compared to RE4, it just does because it's a resident evil game. Some superficial similarities is why people are comparing it (having a merchant and loot, opening having an attack sequence etc). Mentioned this higher up. Only one man's opinion but I have played most RE games.

I've still never played Evil Within 2 as I didn't finish the first one. I might give that a go.
I didn't say it played exactly like RE4, but it cribs plenty from it. I know there's a lot of intentional similarities, but the game does play differently. My point being, is that it's still a remake of RE4, just in a different way. RE8 taking elements from the series itself, EW2, and even RE: Revelations 2 with the Rose DLC.

Please do. I do recommend you go through and try to complete the first game again. There are lots of patch updates, but if you want to play on easy, just play on easy. I don't blame you. Either that, or just YouTube a playthrough with no commentary. Then immediately go to the second game. I'm doing a playthrough on the Xbox One X now. My first time playing that version, as I did a majority of my playthroughs on the PS4 version. If you have an upgraded console/next-gen console, you can play the game at 60 FPS