Resident Evil 8 spoiler thread

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
So anyway I just finished the new Resident Evil game and I want to give my thoughts upon it and discuss it with you guys.

Basic non spoilers
overall I really did enjoy the game. It's hard to say how much I can compare it to the other Resident Evil games but it's damn fun and decently difficult on normal settings. Okay basic stuff out of the way let's get to story discussion because oh boy.

I will say one minor problem I have with the game is that it seems to be going through similar motions as the previous entries particularly 4 and 7 especially the beginning the plot isn't a rip-off but it does feel like it's running out of ideas evil cult, hold out in a village, villains that have an aspect of family that you fight one at a time in their own areas I would have liked something at least a little bit different from 7 set up

there's a cast a Villages that you meet up with. I had an assumption that they would be Side characters but nope they all immediately get murdered even the nice daughter character who seems like could be the only one to survive die.

Her areas really well done very similar to Jack section in baker family house. She also has by her three daughters. One minor writing complaint I have it's how you figure out the daughters weaknesses. When you're being chased by one of them a window randomly breaks. It doesn't come out of nowhere because you can read notes foreshadowing it but Ethan doesn't figure it out themself the will of God just decides to bail his ass out by breaking a window.

Anyway big boob lady surprisingly doesn't have much to do with the plot. She is the first of the four siblings you take out, I expected her the poor Jack and come back near the end especially since a monster body doesn't disintegrate but that doesn't happen,

her deal is messing with you mentally and oh boy she good at it. The entire section you don't have your inventory but besides that it seems rather come as you solve puzzles. And then you go down that well and then the game becomes Silent Hill for 10 to 20 minutes as the personification of your fears of losing your daughter Chase's you which is a giant fetus monster that mimics your daughter's cries as you're forced to hide from it. It may be the scariest moment of any Resident Evil game I've ever played and so utterly bizarre, Ethan doesn't even comment about it and it's never mentioned again. We don't even know if it's real or not. Anyway after that crazy doll tries to scare us with more crazy dolls but after the fetus I'm scarred for life so it has no effect on me and we kill her.

probably my least favorite section of the game, it was still pretty fun but didn't stand out as much as the other sections. It did have some decent story stuff mostly with Fishman it was a decent character that I accidentally felt sorry for, his boss was also the first one they gave me trouble.

it's always the science areas where the game throws up its hands up into the air and becomes action, most of it is still trying to be horror but then you get to the jetpack minions you have to fight and you're still stretching believability but it still seems all right. But by the end you're having a Mecha robot fight with the discount cowboy Cyborg and I wondered how we got here. Also shout out to Blade propeller man, he was great but also probably the easiest boss in the game. I also kind of liked horses character, having the same goal of taking out the witch character but being an insane assholes so we still have to stop him, give some bit of depth to a character I thought would be a 1 note villain.

Granted they do discuss that Chris was a moron but seriously you show up to Ethan's house, kill his wife ( actually the main villain in disguise and she also survives.) Take his child and knock him out without explaining anything a thing. And your reasoning for not telling him what you would doing was because he would want to be involved. So instead of Ethan being prepared for this he's Dazed and Confused about what is going on, pissed at you and what in this dangerous situation because you refused to tell him, god dammit Chris.

the villain's plan is she lost her daughter to the Spanish Flu and ever since then she's been trying to bring it back to life, her for fake children were failed attempts at doing this apparently roses the key to bring her daughter back, it's also heavily implied she is the creator of the original mold that was in 7 it's not a bad motivation and the villain motivated by her own personal tragedies rather than just evil is refreshing

so anyway after having a Megazord fight the main villain shows herself and Temple of Doom's Ethan's heart killing him. Chris gets pissed and bring some of his friends the stop the main villain and her weird fetus thing but there's a twist

Ethan is a molded being who died at the beginning of 7 and has been a Walking Corpse ever since my problem with this twist is that it's not a twist, we knew Ethan was infected by the mold a while ago, there is another implied with that Rose may be a Reincarnation of Evelyn but they don't really confirm that.

After defeating the boss the writers decide since the game is over they can actually kill Ethan off, as he sacrifices his life to stop the witches creation. I will say it was a ballsy move to kill off a protagonist in a Resident Evil game and Ethan as a character did grow on me a lot in this so I did feel bad for him

Okay any other spoilers you guys want to talk about

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
1. The sheer disappointment for the people that thought the tall lady was the main villain is hilarious.

EVIL DEMON FETUS BABY, RUN!!!

I was expecting Bloodborne looking sunglasses guy to be the Tyrant of the franchise. Stalking you through out the game, instead he turns into a Bayformers Decepticon.

So I guess we are now far into the future now that Rose is a fully grown woman. So that means all the veteran main characters of Resident Evil are now in their 40s-60s and possibly a tease for an RE 9?

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
The plot is so stupid. Chris should have just told Ethan what was going on, like what the heck? "Just go home Ethan, don't get involved!" What are you talking about Chris?! You brought him here! What even was Chris doing for the whole game while Ethan was killing all the major baddies? And Ethan didn't need to stay behind, what the heck? He can walk back toward the heart of the fungus but just can't keep going forward toward the chopper? Yeah, ok. Why was Rose broken up into four pieces and scattered to the four henchmen anyway? What was the point of anything in this game?

What the heck is BSAA anyway? Am I supposed to have any idea who they are? The game was way better before Chris got involved and started 'explaining' things. Resident Evil is at its best when it doesn't have anything to do with the rest of the Resident Evil canon.

I liked how they never actually show Ethan's face, even in the third person cutscenes the camera always goes out of its way to show him from the side or the back. It's just funny. The game had quite a few silly moments like that, like when Ethan glues his hand back on with health drink (and also the cuff of his shirt that was still on his severed arm.) Or the lame fish boss that screams at you that 'he's the BEST'. Or the flame lantern physics puzzles where Ethan just bumps the lantern with his head until it lights a torch on fire.

Frankly, RE7 was just a lot better. Even if that game couldn't stick the landing either.

Last edited:

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
The plot is so stupid. Chris should have just told Ethan what was going on, like what the heck?
"I shot your wife and took your kid but if I told you what that was all about it would make far too much sense so I'm just gonna leave you in the dark for much of the game for SUSPENSE!"-Chris, being a dumbass

Also, is it considered a spoiler if it makes no sense?

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I liked how they never actually show Ethan's face, even in the third person cutscenes the camera always goes out of its way to show him from the side or the back. It's just funny. The game had quite a few silly moments like that, like when Ethan glues his hand back on with health drink (and also the cuff of his shirt that was still on his severed arm.) Or the lame fish boss that screams at you that 'he's the BEST'. Or the flame lantern physics puzzles where Ethan just bumps the lantern with his head until it lights a torch on fire.
Funny you should mention that.

Reactions: Drathnoxis