Resident Evil Needs A Reboot

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
the earlier are obvious more horror than from part 4 on. but i have to say, that the revelation series were more horror than the main games from 4-6. are they great, no but i had lots of fun with them and it creeped me out too. which part 4-6 never did. as action games they were still fun.
i certainly enjoyed the remakes as well. got them both on day one and had a blast, since i never had the chance to play them at that time because i play on pc only. played the remake 3 times with jill, stopped half way with chris. lol. zero was still good but played it so far only twice.
part 2 is more then welcome and i cant wait for it. if they can do that with dino crisis 1 as well, that would be great.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
I agree with the most of the points in the article, this series would benefit greatly from a reboot.
I do think that Raccoon City needs to come back and stay. After playing the Tomb Raider reboots I think a open world Raccoon City where you have to travel through the city squiring keys and clearing areas obtaining new items to access new areas... essentially bringing the Metroid formula to Resident Evil, get rid of all the evil corporation and mad scientist zombie weapon crap make it into a city escape/survival... oh and make the whole series focus around Jill and Leon, everyone else sucks

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Ambient_Malice said:
RE6 has the best controls in the series. They distill complex combat mechanics into a handful of functions. Every classic RE that wasn't RE2 or Outbreak had bad controls. RE4 had bad controls. RE5 had bad controls. RE6 was like RE2 N64's control system reimagined as a third person character action game. The game integrates melee, movement, and shooting into a holistic package that few games have done anywhere near as well.
I just remembered a memorable discerning opinion about it...

EDIT: Wrong block of the quote.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
Dango said:
I actually like Resident Evil 6 quite a a bit. I'd rank it, or at most of it, above 5, which became a pretty tedious slog. I never really understood the hate for 6, which I think mostly came from bitterness over being focused more on action than survival-horror. To me Resident Evil never was survival-horror though, it was a series of adventure games wrapped up in nonsense. I didn't mind 6 because it was just another silly game in a series of games that were always hard for me to take seriously, not to mention 6 is somehow the peak of writing for the series, as it actually feels the dialog was written by humans who at some point have interacted with other humans.
Actually, I agree with you. I liked Resident Evil 6 quite a bit, and there are some genuine criticisms that can be leveled at it, but for all of those critiques (which I'll fairly address), the only thing I heard people bitching about when the demo first came out was the increased level of action. "It has tanks! It's become Call of Duty!" which is what everyone used to say about everything back then if the game happened to have guns in it. Did you think the BSAA would be under-equipped for the task of fighting bio-terrorism? At this point in the canon, everyone knows what they're up against. Tanks would be mandatory. A team of soldiers armed with automatic weapons? Makes sense to me.

Now what you could rightfully hate about the game is it's inconsistent difficulty level and goddamned quick-time events that can't be stopped by your partner, even if they're right goddamn there. And the failures for said QTEs are a long cut-scene where we are shown without a doubt that our character is now surely dead. Some of these sequences took as long as 45 seconds, and I already know I'm fucking dead just let me hit continue so I can try your stupid QTE bullshit again. I think the most infamous of these set pieces for me was the one where the discount Regenerator attempts to shove Leon into a meat grinder, and you gotta waggle that analogue stick like you're going to break it if you don't want to be met with a fucking long death-sequence.

But lets face facts - Resident Evil has been pretty stupid for a long time now. Resident Evil 4 may have been a great game all on it's own, but that's where shit got goofy for the series as a whole. Helicopter support, running from boulders all Indiana Jones style, a villain who was seriously just a Spanish Napoleon, and a weird hooded cult with unclear motivations, complete with a castle filled with death traps.

I'm not so sure a reboot would save the franchise however, since Capcom seems pretty intent to ride the Revelations series and continue to sell the older games back to us as many times as they can. I mean, this is a company that knows for a fact that there is a huge fanbase chomping at the bit for a new Mega Man game so hard that they were willing to Kickstart a new franchise just to get it, but Capcom would rather hold a grudge than release any new content.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
Johnny Novgorod said:
Ambient_Malice said:
snip
If I may just interject for whatever it's worth....
I also found RE6 controls to be the best. Lot's of variables, impact/priority frames in attacks, set up counters and huge melees, very complex and rewarding when you get the hang of it. BUT, it is a ***** to get the hang of it. When it all gels together though, you feel like quite a badass mixing up the melee attacks with slides and picking your shots nicely. Watch some high-level mercenaries gameplay and you'll see what I mean.

However, I'll just say if you're even bothering to use the cover system, you're doing it wrong - because it sucks fucking badly. At least the game doesn't force you to use it for the most part, I think there's one fight with the Ustanak/Nemesis guy where you're trying to shoot from a doorway of a plane (Sherry/Jake campaign) and that had me quite literally on the verge of rage quit, and I've never even come close to rage quitting an RE game in my life.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
Yes, yes. My God, yes. Look. Zombies, okay. Zombies is all you need. Zombies and a company trying to weaponize the zombies. And S.T.A.R.S. That's it though.