Resident Evil: Not Scary

cjspyres

Oct 12, 2011
So I've realized that, while on my journey to find some of the scariest games, Resident Evil is a common factor among many of the gaming population. What I don't understand is, why? In all the years that I've played the RE series, not a single one has been scary. The most that has every happened is maybe a jump or two from the earlier games, but that's it. So why do people insist on the series being scary?

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
When did we insist they were scary? I thought we unanimously decided it's no longer a horror game.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Things being scary is a very subjective thing. Some people hate playing Skyrim because there is giant spiders in it, doesn't mean everyone should find it scary. Also, if you play the original it really isn't that scary technically, because the voice acting and graphics are both crap. Whereas the updated gamecube version is really scary, because it doesn't have any of the camp that ruined the original.

oplinger

Sep 2, 2010
like I've said in numerous threads about scary games. None of them are scary. They can't be. They pose no threat to you. You have to scare yourself. The games can create tension and an atmosphere you let yourself get caught up in, but they cannot be scary.

The scary level is up to you and you alone.

As for jump scares. Those are scary. People with giant egos and a false sense of pride say they aren't because they'd be admitting they let the game get to them.

If you weren't in a tense situation when the jump scare happened...you would not have jumped.

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
Have you played the Remake on the cube? That's the most scariest one of the lot (and possibly the only truly scary one), and it features the Crimson Heads who are zombie who are much faster and powerful once they have been shot. Seriously, I used to shit bricks when I heard the footsteps of a crimson head running up the stairs.

Also, Resident Evil 3 can get very tense and kinda scary if you don't shoot the Nemesis, and always run away. Mainly because he keeps showing up all the time, even in the least likely of places. Once you think your safe, bang, thud, heeeeere's... Nemesis!!!

No matter what though, Resident Evil never get's as scary as Silent Hill does, or hell even Eternal Darkness.

cjspyres

Oct 12, 2011
There's a difference between being startled and being tense all of the time. You can be happy go lucky in your house and someone sneak up on you and startle you. Doesn't mean you were tense. But let me re-word my former post. The Resident Evil series doesn't add any tension to allow yourself to freak yourself out. It just depends on cheap jump tactics. Which, IMO, are just not fulfilling.

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
Let me alert the press.

No, wait, no one ever thought Resident Evil was scary.

Fuck, RE5 was gorram hilarious.

Shinigami Fire

Oct 5, 2010
The scare of RE came from the survival, not the terror. It was the unnerving tenseness of knowing something will show up, and back in the days when they paced RE well, it was the times when nothing happened that scared you even more.

Look at a game like Amnesia: The Dark Descent. Everyone has heard this, but it and its predecessor (Penumbra) had horror down. They create an atmosphere of tension and heightened awareness, and then use everything at their disposal to fuck with you.

RE, on the other hand, has now become an action game. Part of the terror of the originals was how poorly you controlled your character. You weren't Solid Snake. You were 'guy with handgun and a bit of training so he knows how to reload'. With the demand for better handling, you lose the tension bad controls created. Silent Hill Homecomings (Origin? One of the two) added a dodgeroll, and removed all horror from the game because you could dodgeroll away from EVERYTHING. All the different aspects need to work together to make horror work. We as an industry have ruined it by demanding HD graphics, super slick controls and a hand to walk us through.

Lawnmooer

Apr 15, 2009
RE 1-3 were not scary as such, but built up a lot of tension with not a lot of supplies, room for said supplies, possibilities of being jumped constantly immovable cameras and unexpected groaning.

RE 5 was just an action game... (I haven't played 4 so can't comment...)

Dr Namgge

Oct 21, 2009
cjspyres said:
So I've realized that, while on my journey to find some of the scariest games, Resident Evil is a common factor among many of the gaming population. What I don't understand is, why? In all the years that I've played the RE series, not a single one has been scary. The most that has every happened is maybe a jump or two from the earlier games, but that's it. So why do people insist on the series being scary?
Looks like someone reads Cracked [http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-video-games-that-just-didnt-get-it-and-6-that-did/]

Busdriver580

Dec 22, 2009
The remake of Resident evil(the first one) on game cube rates as one of the only 4 games that's ever scared me(and i don't scare easily from games). The originals are far too cheesy and everything afterwards is too action oriented.

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
Necromancer Jim said:
Let me alert the press.

No, wait, no one ever thought Resident Evil was scary.

Fuck, RE5 was gorram hilarious.
Your avatar makes this my post of the week. :)

OT - Well, I never really found RE scary. Maybe scarily convoluted and stupid.

Arkley

Mar 12, 2009
Warning: Essay post incoming, but perhaps worth a read for fans of survival horror.

Most of the Resident Evil games aren't scary in the slightest, and after a while, they just stopped trying. The series was already trying to be an action game with the wrong controls by Resident Evil 3. When Code Veronica rolled out, Capcom had gotten it into their heads (as only Japanese developers and Western comic book writers do) that people were actually interested in a huge, convoluted canon that runs head-first into the player's already thinly-stretched suspension of disbelief, and all pretences of horror were abandoned at the door of the University of Metal Gear Solid Plot Writing. Resident Evil 4 abandoned the batshit plot and gave the game the controls it needed to actually be an action game with great results (and even managed a few rather tense moments), but Resident Evil 5 stumbled back into old habits.

There was a brief reprieve, however, in the genuinely tense, frightening, overbearingly atmospheric and utterly unforgiving GameCube remake. It put you in the position of a vulnerable, lost and underpowered person. It starved you of ammo and pitted you against enemies you probably couldn't kill if you fought and probably couldn't escape if you ran. And if you do put down an enemy, out of desperation or necessity, god help you when you walk by its corpse later on, because it may well get back up, faster, stronger, and extremely annoyed.

The game kept its plot mostly out of the way, telling only the bare essentials to justify the events in cutscenes and keeping the rest in collectible files for those who want them. It also does something quite special by using the pacing of its gameplay (in the form of weapons and ammo available) to manipulate players' feelings of unease, rather than depending wholly on exposition. You'll be torturously underpowered, and then you'll find a new, powerful weapon - perhaps a shotgun. You'll feel a brief reprieve, but the game yanks that feeling away as you advance and discover ammo for it is more scarce than you could have imagined. Then you'll begin finding more and more ammo for it, and feel a little safer behind your boomstick. Then the game promptly introduces enemies that will stroll right through your buckshot like it's a cloud of bubbles and rip your head off for having the audacity to not immediately flee. Then you'll find a more powerful weapon still, enough to give you an edge against those creatures. Then new enemies arrive, enemies that scale the walls and dash unseen along the ceiling, lashing out at you from above, too fast to gun down.

This habit of making the player feel just a little bit safer before tearing it all away can wear at you, break you down and make you really fear turning the next corner - not least because dying means going back to your last save. That you saved at one of the very few, far-apart save points. A save point that requires you to use a rare, finite item in order to be allowed to save. The game doesn't need Silent Hill's version of story-based psychological horror (although it certainly has some in the form of the tragic Lisa Trevor) - this Resident Evil's psychological horror is borne largely of its gameplay, and is all the more potent for it.

Combined with beautifully looming, atmospheric scenery (it can still stand with some current generation games thanks to pre-rendered scenery and various graphical trickery) and the appearance of enemies - both gruesome and intimidating - it made for an excellent horror experience.

It was effectively the Demon's/Dark Souls of its day in terms of not giving a shit about whether you succeed, and doing everything in its power to prevent your success. If you're a fan of survival horror - real survival horror - you absolute must play the Resident Evil remake if you haven't already. Boot it up, set the difficulty to Normal (called "Mountain Climbing" at the difficulty selection) and welcome yourself to the world of survival horror.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
The first one was scary when I played it when I was like 13 OR 14. Now I can't believe that the voice acting was actually that bad back then.

How the hell was I not laughing my head off at it....some one must have changed it since then i tells you! ;_;

So wierd.

EmperorSubcutaneous

Dec 22, 2010
Dr Namgge said:
cjspyres said:
Looks like someone reads Cracked [http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-video-games-that-just-didnt-get-it-and-6-that-did/]
I was thinking the same thing when I read the thread title.

Anyway, I was feeling very smug when I read that article because a few acquaintances of mine were insisting that Resident Evil was terrifying and Silent Hill wasn't, because the monsters in Silent Hill didn't look gross enough and didn't jump out at you. It depressed me.

I mean, it's true that what people find scary is subjective. But being unable to allow a game to get into your head enough to make you scare yourself (as Silent Hill does) and instead requiring it to make gross-looking things jump out at you (as Resident Evil does) demonstrates a sad lack of imagination.