Resident Evil Portable Gets A Little Less Mysterious

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Resident Evil Portable Gets A Little Less Mysterious

Capcom's looking to do something "totally different" for its upcoming Resident Evil title on the PSP, the company said today.

Capcom's super-confidential Resident Evil Portable had such a bare bones announcement during E3 that you'd be forgiven for forgetting that the game even existed. Now Capcom's Chris Kramer has divulged [http://www.capcom-unity.com/kramez/blog/2009/06/08/capcom_e3_mystery_title_2_resident_evil_psp] some info on the game, but it's more likely to simply fuel even more groundless speculation than anything else. But hey, it's something.

Kramer can't tell us much, but he "can tell you that Capcom is working very closely with Sony on this title, as it's something that both companies have wanted on the PSP for quite some time."

Here's some good news: it's not a remake of a previous RE game (phew) but "an all-new title created specifically for the PSP platform, with the PSP Go in mind." Huh, so something that's designed for hardware that's defined by its lack of a physical disc drive? Maybe something downloadable, episodic? Maybe "Chris Redfield vs. A Boulder [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xuXkVzBdJQ]" the game? "I've managed to sneak a look at a very early game design document for this title and all I am allowed to say is: Wow. Totally different for a Resident Evil game," Kramer said.

As for when the game's going to be coming around, don't hold your breath. "The game is some ways off, so don't be expecting this one to come home with you when you upgrade to the PSP Go in the fall," Kramer said. If we upgrade to the PSP Go in the fall, that is. If.

bue519

Oct 3, 2007
So much for hoping for an RE2 remake. Oh well it'll probably be pretty fun regardless.

xHipaboo420x

Apr 22, 2009
I was hoping for a classic RE experience, so this is a little disappointing.

What 'totally different' direction could they go in though? They've already done survival horror, on-rails lightgun, action and first person shooting. RE Kart maybe?

Xbowhyena

Jan 26, 2009
bue519 said:
So much for hoping for an RE2 remake. Oh well it'll probably be pretty fun regardless.
You can already download RE1-3 for the PSP, if you have CFW.

bue519

Oct 3, 2007
Xbowhyena said:
bue519 said:
You can already download RE1-3 for the PSP, if you have CFW.
Wow thanks for the info man. Raccoon City here I come.

Ashbax

Jan 7, 2009
MaxChaos said:
RE Kart maybe?
Dibs on weskers matrix-box-set shaped kart!

On topic: I think it might be an FPS. But still, its on the PSP and I still hold on to my opinion that the PSP was just something they fed the fanboys while continuously postponing the release of the PS3.

I got a PSP months before it even came out in ireland (I pre-ordered it from a japanese shop over the internet...) And sold it fairly recently, after realising I only played it every few months.

Ashbax

Jan 7, 2009
Psychosocial said:
Chris Redfield vs A Boulder would be an epic video game, indeed.

Ah well, finally PSP gets a second game incoming that's somewhat interesting!
Just keep playing the last level of RE5 until your eyes plop out ^^