Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Max's time with the game.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Well, I just finished it and quite enjoyed it. Not as good as the high points of RE7, but better none of the low points are as low as they were in that and on average I think the game is stronger if less creepy.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Well, I just finished it and quite enjoyed it. Not as good as the high points of RE7, but better none of the low points are as low as they were in that and on average I think the game is stronger if less creepy.
I'd say the only low point in RE7 is the
tanker section
, which was really just a redundant level to make the game longer. If they ended the game with the
mutant Jack fight
it would have been on the shorter side but perfect.

The gimmicky boss fights in RE7 also suited the controls better. In RE8 bosses are like regular enemies and with the sluggish controls and movement like your walking through molasses makes every boss fight a war of attrition. You just empty your entire arsenal in them often with very little visual feedback while using healing items when your health drops too low. Just compare it to the super intense
chainsaw fight with Jack
in RE7, and there is really nothing like that in RE8.

I enjoyed RE8 but I think moving away from the slow paced, horror style of RE8 was a mistake. Not just because of personal preference but also b/c the controls and movement suited the slow pace much, much better. RE8 tries to do too many things at the same time which often doesn't fit the controls making the sum actually worse than it's parts.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
tanker section
, which was really just a redundant level to make the game longer. If they ended the game with the
mutant Jack fight

The gimmicky boss fights in RE7 also suited the controls better. In RE8 bosses are like regular enemies and with the sluggish controls and movement like your walking through molasses makes every boss fight a war of attrition. You just empty your entire arsenal in them often with very little visual feedback while using healing items when your health drops too low. Just compare it to the super intense
chainsaw fight with Jack

I enjoyed RE8 but I think moving away from the slow paced, horror style of RE8 was a mistake. Not just because of personal preference but also b/c the controls and movement suited the slow pace much, much better. RE8 tries to do too many things at the same time which often doesn't fit the controls making the sum actually worse than it's parts.

Did you mean horror style of REVII?

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Did you mean horror style of REVII?
Yeah, but more as in horror means slow pace. The style of game that suited the controls better. In RE7 the gameplay served the horror rather than the other way around. It was really more about atmosphere and exploration rather than fighting. Games that are more action-y also need excellent mechanics. RE8 is mostly just a sluggish FPS. It isn't remarkable in the gameplay department and it also lacks what made RE7 so good. The game is mostly just really pretty graphics.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
there's a pretty good argument to be made that Miranda still had her conscience back then when he saves Alex from freezing to death. That's something she would not do in the present day. And maybe starting a relationship with each other would have helped both of their loneliness. What I'm saying is if they both had sex the entire Resident Evil series wouldn't have happened and their would be a lot less dead people
I highly doubt that personally. If Miranda cared even that much from him, she would have told Oswald from the start. They're high functioning sociopaths, that while in love, still would have made people miserable. Not to mention, Oswald was a horrible father. Ask Wesker.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
tanker section
mutant Jack fight

chainsaw fight with Jack

I would say that the whole initial mansion was the strongest part of RE7. The other family members were good, but the mansion was best. I thought the tanker was fine, it was ok, the part after it where you were running through mine shafts with tons of enemies around ended up just getting annoying, which is something that didn't happen with RE8.
When they did start bumping up the enemies in RE8 you had better feeling weapons to deal with them so it just felt better

RE8 was much less horror if only for the fact that everything took place during the day and there were only a few dark times, also that
baby thing

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
Play Resident Evil 8 again on hardcore, still loved it. I would not recommend playing the game on Hardcore for your first time. the game kicked my ass a lot even though I was playing New Game Plus. That beginning section is one of the hardest parts of the game.

I would say that the whole initial mansion was the strongest part of RE7. The other family members were good, but the mansion was best. I thought the tanker was fine, it was ok, the part after it where you were running through mine shafts with tons of enemies around ended up just getting annoying, which is something that didn't happen with RE8.
When they did start bumping up the enemies in RE8 you had better feeling weapons to deal with them so it just felt better
Resident Evil 8 is the more consistent experience and Resident Evil 7 was a little bit more ambitious, I can see why someone prefer 7 or 8 but I'm with you in liking 8 more than 7

RE8 was much less horror if only for the fact that everything took place during the day and there were only a few dark times, also that
baby thing
on my second playthrough, I actually have somewhat mixed feelings about it.
don't get me wrong it's one of the best levels in an RE game the FIRST TIME you play it, however, it's one of the slowest parts on replays because you know the puzzle and you can only skip 3 parts of it, the 2 door chest and the ring code and you not going to remember the ring code. The baby part either something you don't want to experience again or just not that scary anymore but more of a tedious waiting game.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Play Resident Evil 8 again on hardcore, still loved it. I would not recommend playing the game on Hardcore for your first time. the game kicked my ass a lot even though I was playing New Game Plus. That beginning section is one of the hardest parts of the game.

Resident Evil 8 is the more consistent experience and Resident Evil 7 was a little bit more ambitious, I can see why someone prefer 7 or 8 but I'm with you in liking 8 more than 7

on my second playthrough, I actually have somewhat mixed feelings about it.
don't get me wrong it's one of the best levels in an RE game the FIRST TIME you play it, however, it's one of the slowest parts on replays because you know the puzzle and you can only skip 3 parts of it, the 2 door chest and the ring code and you not going to remember the ring code. The baby part either something you don't want to experience again or just not that scary anymore but more of a tedious waiting game.
Yeah, I agree.

I didn't have much trouble with the baby part my first time, I found I didn't even have to wait long or anything like that. It only took me time since I kept looking around for stuff, but since there is no stuff I feel like I could blow through that part my next run.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Hate to break it to you, but I already posted Sphere Hunter's review.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
So after fully finishing the game myself, I'm of two different minds.

One: I rather enjoyed the direction the game went, and where most RE games turn into dogshit towards the end as the dev team runs out of ideas, I was actually rather surprised and really enjoying the final moments with this game. The Call of Duty bit was a fun little diversion that didn't overstate its welcome and sets up the twist ending rather well honestly.

So I think this is by far the best RE story they've ever made.

However there are some spots where the game is just annoying. Maybe because it tried so hard to follow the RE4 formula that it actually took attention away from ideas that the game had that were really good.

Overall I'd say that this game is a better game that RE7 which was one of the best RE games overall. But worse than series highlights like 2 and 4. So maybe the 3rd best RE game?

That seems fair.

I think RE8 also suffers from a lack of consistant tone overall in the world of RE. The problem is that there isn't really a decent cannon that runs through all these games, they all have gone off the bullshit rails so much that everytime they try a "reboot" of the series, they basically act like brand new IP's because of how destroied the original cannon is from RE3. Re4 was great because it started a whole new thread of games, but 5 and 6 try to tie everything back together with the original cannon bullshit that they don't have any identity anymore.

Re7 and 8 are doing the same thing.

Personally I feel like they should have made each "trilogy" focus on something completely different. Some other aspect of Evil that might have had the same thematic elements they aren't trying to link themselves together. That way Capcom could have a very set story that didn't have to worry about always tying back to Umbrella, and allow each set of games to have their own follow without convolution and nonsense retcons.

Reactions: Drathnoxis

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Re4 was great because it started a whole new thread of games, but 5 and 6 try to tie everything back together with the original cannon bullshit that they don't have any identity anymore.
It's this criticism from Yahtzee, Movie Bob, and Jim Sterling I never get. The whole RE4 was trying to start a new thread and abandon the Umbrella plot line. When Wesker is implied and outright stated to be partially responsible for what was going on with Los Illuminados, that's still ties back to Umbrella in some way. Even if Umbrella is dead and involves an ex-employee. Even I knew, that Resident Evil 5 was going to involve Wesker as the main antagonist, since they had been building it up since Code Veronica. I don't know why some people were acting so surprised Wesker showed up for 5. RE6 is where it got really ridiculous, and they started retconning saying it's actually a different part of Umbrella called Neo Umbrella. The series has always had this issue of setting up plot threads that either end anti-climatically, or ignored the very next game. It's why I don't consider the Revelations games canon; especially the first one. None of the plot lines, other than for RE5, factor into the future games in Revelations 1.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
It's this criticism from Yahtzee, Movie Bob, and Jim Sterling I never get. The whole RE4 was trying to start a new thread and abandon the Umbrella plot line. When Wesker is implied and outright stated to be partially responsible for what was going on with Los Illuminados, that's still ties back to Umbrella in some way. Even if Umbrella is dead and involves an ex-employee. Even I knew, that Resident Evil 5 was going to involve Wesker as the main antagonist, since they had been building it up since Code Veronica. I don't know why some people were acting so surprised Wesker showed up for 5. RE6 is where it got really ridiculous, and they started retconning saying it's actually a different part of Umbrella called Neo Umbrella. The series has always had this issue of setting up plot threads that either end anti-climatically, or ignored the very next game. It's why I don't consider the Revelations games canon; especially the first one. None of the plot lines, other than for RE5, factor into the future games in Revelations 1.
I'm not surprised that they did that. Umbrella is the core of the series as it stands.

My point is that they shouldn't have. Or if they wanted to keep the link to Umbrella, then make it seem like a different division working with completely different Bioweapons. Raccoon city and SPencer was the Virus. Then have a different group working with Parasites for RE4. Then yet another division working with the Mold shit for RE7.

That way you can have your core enemy, but also diverse yourself into a new cast of characters that don't always have to tie into the original cannon for no fucking reason.

I mean it's just basic decent writing at that point really.

Reactions: Dalisclock

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I'm not surprised that they did that. Umbrella is the core of the series as it stands.

My point is that they shouldn't have. Or if they wanted to keep the link to Umbrella, then make it seem like a different division working with completely different Bioweapons. Raccoon city and SPencer was the Virus. Then have a different group working with Parasites for RE4. Then yet another division working with the Mold shit for RE7.

That way you can have your core enemy, but also diverse yourself into a new cast of characters that don't always have to tie into the original cannon for no fucking reason.

I mean it's just basic decent writing at that point really.
You would think that. But you're forgetting one thing: it's Umbrella. They cover everything. Even in the newest Resident Evil game, they're partially involved. In this case, you see where their inspiration from the logo came from. Mainly Oswald.

Say what you will about Evil Within 2, but at least it had the balls to kill off the evil conspiracy corporation that is Mobius. So if a third game ever comes out, they can go in practically almost any direction.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
You would think that. But you're forgetting one thing: it's Umbrella. They cover everything. Even in the newest Resident Evil game, they're partially involved. In this case, you see where their inspiration from the logo came from. Mainly Oswald.

Say what you will about Evil Within 2, but at least it had the balls to kill off the evil conspiracy corporation that is Mobius. So if a third game ever comes out, they can go in practically almost any direction.
Well like I said I would be fine with Umbrella being the root of all the Evil in the series. But what we don't need is the same fucker (wesker) everywhere.

By making it separate divisions of Umbrella, then each game that starts the trilogy (1, 4, and 7), you could set up a figure head for each of these and build them up to be the final fucker at the end of the third games. Wesker would be RE1-3. But then you need someone else for 4,5,and 6, and then another for this new trilogy.

This would allow the games to feel like they take place in the same world, but also not feel like each entry is making the lore more and more fucking randomized and irrelevant.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
But what we don't need is the same fucker (wesker) everywhere.
Wesker is the Dio Brando of the Resident Evil universe.

making it separate divisions of Umbrella, then each game that starts the trilogy (1, 4, and 7), you could set up a figure head for each of these and build them up to be the final fucker at the end of the third games. Wesker would be RE1-3. But then you need someone else for 4,5,and 6, and then another for this new trilogy.

This would allow the games to feel like they take place in the same world, but also not feel like each entry is making the lore more and more fucking randomized and irrelevant.
Funny enough, the non-canon novel adaptions and Chinese manwha comics tried to do this. It's too bad Capcom made them all non-canon and decided to do nothing with any of the plot points or ideas those adaptions tried to set up.

Last edited: