Respawn Exec Wouldn't "Rule Out" Titanfall Single Player

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
If you want to make a singleplayer, make a proper one or just don't bother, I'm confused sometimes about how most developers just forgot about how Call of Duty 1-2 were actually fun, while the first one was a pretty good omage to "Enemy at the Gates". Even 4 was pretty good, and it was actually quite baffling to have a character die on it.

After 4, I played MW 2 campaign and it was the most annoying Hollywood-esque wannabe that I've seen, and I still can't get myself to care about the franchise since.

But it wouldn't do them any good to implement it just as an afterthought either, like BF3 did.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
kanetsb said:
Oh... Did they just found out that the silent single player bunch is actually the majority of gamers? :) Man, that's gotta suck when you find that out while looking at the sales numbers.
Since when?
Considering games like Call of Duty and Battlefield are constantly having huge record breaking sales numbers; and the majority of those players aren't playing the single player...I'd argue that single player only people aren't the majority of gamers.

Sep 24, 2008
I have two points.

One of my favorite games of the last few years is named Monday Night Combat. It's basically the Running Man with instantly Cloning and a wicked sense of humor. I loved it. It's always online. Normally that's not my thing, but it was so fun I didn't care.

When I got in, the game scene was 'dying'. Instead of doing something about it, the development team (Team Uber) was focused on the sequel.

... That was free-to-play.

Both scenes are dead now. Sure the idea is that 'if the game is popular, you'll have more time until it dies out. But the fact is that it will die out. I don't ever want to put down money for a experience that is limited by the need for other people's interaction again.

Point the Second.

I've never been into Call of Duty. I know a lot of people who weren't, but were excited for Titanfall. Single Player isn't where you hone your abilities to kill other players, but it is where you hone the basic needs of the FPS that you're playing. A tutorial for something like that is nothing. I spent a lot of time getting shot because I was trying to running up a wall that needed a certain boost. I couldn't practice that in a live fire fight.

I don't want to learn about the lethality and use of a new gun during a firefight. I want to go to a gun of which the capabilities are known to me. I learn that in the single player.

The point is summed up like this. For me and other non Call of Duty players... we needed a place to privately cut out teeth, learn how things worked for real (not that stupid ten minute tutorial), and not just be point boxes for people who've been playing this type of game for years.

Again, a Single player would not be the end all, be all to that type of thing. But it would give us a grounding before just chucking us to the veterans.

m0ng00se

May 5, 2005
frankly i respect that focus.
it's a math issue. how many millions of dollars do we spend on a pointless setpiece to setpiece real single player campaign and how many dollars do we lose to people that won't buy a multiplayer-only game?

i actually think that not having any actual context for the universe has a lot of potential to make the universe so much cooler. you literally only see the parts that pertain to you and you get to use your imagination a little. it's like the wipeout universe, where there's all these companies and crap and they have personality that is almost exclusively communicated through how they design their cars.

why the hell do the single-player people care that multiplayer people have a game just for them? fps fans don't complain that dragon age doesn't have a vs. mode, but the tone when people talk about titanfall not having 1 player sounds like pure diaper rash

edit: i do like the guy above's training mode thing he's talking about. especially with all the parkour and crap in titanfall, it would be pretty nice to just run around and see where you can get to without getting shot.

Adam Locking

Aug 10, 2012
I think they should stick to their guns and ignore all the people who think they want a single-player campaign from Titanfall, as history tends to prove them wrong. A decade ago Black came out, it was one of the best single-player FPS games in years, yet it failed to reach sales expectations. When I asked my friends if they were getting it, the response was almost solidly "wut no multiplayer, lol that's stupid". Then, two years ago, Spec-ops: the line, praise for it's hard-hitting and engaging story, flopped as well.

Titanfall, on the other hand, has sold millions, and did so despite being a Microsoft exclusive. What with the game going multi-platform next time around, it should have no problems turning a profit without wasting money and resources on a single-player campaign which would almost certainly be shit anyway.