Respawn Making Some Big Titanfall 2 Changes

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Respawn Making Some Big Titanfall 2 Changes

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1329/1329345.png
Respawn is making some tweaks to Titanfall 2 following fan outcry from the technical alpha test.

substantial blog post [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/titanfall%202?os=%20titanfall%202] detailing the criticism and what it intends to do about it.

"Even though the Tech Test build is a couple months old, we learned some valuable things based on your feedback. Some of these changes have already been addressed and will be updated for weekend two of the tech test, with other changes making it into the final game," wrote the developer. Here are some of the biggest changes it will be making:

We'll be tuning Pilot air speed and wall-running speed to be faster
Players should once again accumulate and retain more speed when chaining wallrun
Pilots will once again acquire a small passive amount of Titan meter every few seconds
The amount of damage many weapons deal to Titans has been toned down
Titan dashes will recharge faster
We're going to bring in the fade distance for enemy outlines so they don't reveal pilots at extreme distances

Additionally, for those of you worried that relatively flat and open design of Homestead, the tech test's only available map, is indicative of a new direction for Titanfall, Respawn assures us that no, it isn't, and some more "traditional" Titanfall maps will be showcased over the next few weeks.

Source: Respawn [http://www.titanfall.com/en_us/news/tech-test-and-feedback/]

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
Good stuff. But I'm surprised they didn't address the near-instant time to kill. I get this franchise is directly aimed at the consoe/CoD audience, but even considering that the TTK is still ridiculous.

Also 1-shot melee mechanics (from any angle) are always a terrible idea in my book.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Yuuki said:
Good stuff. But I'm surprised they didn't address the near-instant time to kill. I get this franchise is directly aimed at the consoe/CoD audience, but even considering that the TTK is still ridiculous.
It was silly fast in Titanfall as well, even discounting the magic boot of doom.

It doesn't look like they've done anything to address the issue of auto aim and hit scans either. If you want a game to last, there does actually have to be some level of challenge, self aiming insta-hit guns won't provide it and they won't tempt the CoD crowd over either, because they're too busy playing CoD.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
I can always respect a developer that learns from criticism. Good on 'em.

I really hope TiF2 comes swinging with a great single player. I would like to see this combat style in more interesting scenario's.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
And yet I can't get over how much that guy in the picture looks like Barney from Half-Life 2. Maybe now we know what's holding up the next installment- one of their main characters is off starring in a different franchise!

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
The Rogue Wolf said:
And yet I can't get over how much that guy in the picture looks like Barney from Half-Life 2. Maybe now we know what's holding up the next installment- one of their main characters is off starring in a different franchise!
Their inspiration from Half Life 2 was Barney...all Barney!

Well this is a good faith builder for the devs, working so well with critical feedback ProjektRed styley is never a bad sign.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
im still holding bakc until i know more about the SP. for once, thats what i care about more. but good to hear that the developers are listening and do something about it.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
fix-the-spade said:
Yuuki said:
It was silly fast in Titanfall as well, even discounting the magic boot of doom.

It doesn't look like they've done anything to address the issue of auto aim and hit scans either. If you want a game to last, there does actually have to be some level of challenge, self aiming insta-hit guns won't provide it and they won't tempt the CoD crowd over either, because they're too busy playing CoD.
If what I played is any indication, the pilots are even squishier than in the original.
FPS developers: Halo 3 was the sweet spot for FPS character durability. Shoot for that.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Souplex said:
If what I played is any indication, the pilots are even squishier than in the original.
FPS developers: Halo 3 was the sweet spot for FPS character durability. Shoot for that.
I don't mind squishy damage models, as long as there are other factors that make skill relevant.

A prime example to me would be Battlefield 3, it's filled with weapons that can kill a player in one hit, but you have to get the timing and aim exactly right to do it. A good player will scythe down opponents with aplomb, a bad one will maybe hit the first and then be punching beautiful holes in the destructible scenery.

Once the auto aim is in there it becomes about who fired first (or who the server thinks fired first, or who is the host etc) and that gets frustrating.