Respawn's Zampella Tweets Response To Titanfall Exclusivity

Battenberg

Browncoat
Aug 16, 2012
Good, maybe people can stop wholly blaming Microsoft for 'evilly' buying up exclusives - a business practice that has been present in gaming as long as there have been multiple gaming platform options. Not that I agree with exclusives in general, they hurt consumers _and_ developers and only really serve as an alternative way for platforms to compete instead of actually focusing on improving their hardware.

I'm genuinely unsure why EA have done this though. By most accounts the PS4 will 'win' the next console generation (for lack of a better word), surely it will cost them money in the long run backing the wrong console?

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Battenberg said:
Good, can people stop wholly blaming Microsoft for 'evilly' buying up exclusives - a business practice that has been present in gaming as long as there have been multiple gaming platform options? Not that I agree with exclusives in general, they hurt consumers _and_ developers and only really serve as an alternative way for platforms to compete instead of actually focusing on improving their hardware.

I'm genuinely unsure why EA have done this though. By most accounts the PS4 will 'win' the next console generation (for lack of a better word), surely it will cost them money in the long run backing the wrong console?
Don't know if anyone's upset at Microsoft for making good business decisions. But I'm fairly certain we're just confused and upset at EA for constantly shooting themselves in the trouser snake by way of harming the consumer at little to no benefit to themselves.

I would guess though, that the contract was drafted up before the XBO backlash. Probably when EA thought MS was going to establish that ridiculous preowned games killer. That would fall in line with their silly trend of punishing paying customers with audacious anti-consumer DRM. I'd like to say that the day they require blood and stool samples before we play their games each time that people wouldn't buy their games, but sure enough people would have the at-home probes and vaseline ready to go.

Battenberg

Browncoat
Aug 16, 2012
Lightknight said:
Battenberg said:
Good, can people stop wholly blaming Microsoft for 'evilly' buying up exclusives - a business practice that has been present in gaming as long as there have been multiple gaming platform options? Not that I agree with exclusives in general, they hurt consumers _and_ developers and only really serve as an alternative way for platforms to compete instead of actually focusing on improving their hardware.

Don't know if anyone's upset at Microsoft for making good business decisions. But I'm fairly certain we're just confused and upset at EA for constantly shooting themselves in the trouser snake by way of harming the consumer at little to no benefit to themselves.

I would guess though, that the contract was drafted up before the XBO backlash. Probably when EA thought MS was going to establish that ridiculous preowned games killer. That would fall in line with their silly trend of punishing paying customers with audacious anti-consumer DRM. I'd like to say that the day they require blood and stool samples before we play their games each time that people wouldn't buy their games, but sure enough people would have the at-home probes and vaseline ready to go.
The previous story on Titanfall on Escapist got a few people angry at Microsoft: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129140-Titanfall-Will-Not-Be-Released-On-PlayStation-4

I guess that's the only explanation for EA's choices here, still seems pretty shortsighted though, even for EA.

On a side note if you don't watch The Jimquisition you definitely should.

Royas

Apr 25, 2008
I don't have an opinion on the game being exclusive, I wasn't planning to get it anyway. I do have a problem with developers, as soon as there is an unpopular decision announced, pointing at the publishers and saying "It's all their fault! Those are the bastards you want!" I ain't buying it.

The developer is just as culpable. Publishers don't just start giving money to devs, there is negotiation, there are discussions, and there are contracts. These contracts detail precisely what each party is expected and allowed to do. Respawn and Zampella chose to sign those contracts, knowing what was in them and knowing what they were permitting EA to get away with. By giving EA that power, they must accept a measure of responsibility, as they effectively said "We agree with whatever you decide to do with this power we grant you."

Stop pointing fingers, devs, you are just as at fault for crappy DRM, bad marketing decisions and poor PR as the publishers themselves.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
Imagine a millionaire commissions a picture to be painted by up and coming artist. After much time the artist creates said painting and gives it the patron. Said millionaire decides to put the painting in his private gallery. He advertises the picture everywhere and then only invites his close friends inside his gallery. Can't begrudge the guy wanted to put the there it's his call. Sure fewer people might see it, but he has the right to do so. As I stated in the other "Exclusive" thread this game is not Xbox One only. PC and 360 are also getting a swing at it. From all the bad PR the Xbox One has gotten I think even MS and EA know it's not a sure thing. Another port is a wise business plan. And if it turns out that the X-1 does pull through more power (and profits) to them.

This whole announcement is just MS trolling Sony (fans as well). I mean we already heard it was an exclusive (only in the technical sense since it's on 3 systems not 1) why the sudden outrage? If you're only going to buy one next gen system, then yes you'll miss out on TF. But you can go the PC route. I say this since I don't think people would buy a 360 and pay for live just to try Titanfall. At least they would get more use out of a new (or upgraded) comp should other games come to PC later (or past games for that matter)

Iron Criterion

Feb 4, 2009
Battenberg said:
Lightknight said:
Battenberg said:

The previous story on Titanfall on Escapist got a few people angry at Microsoft: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129140-Titanfall-Will-Not-Be-Released-On-PlayStation-4

I guess that's the only explanation for EA's choices here, still seems pretty shortsighted though, even for EA.

On a side note if you don't watch The Jimquisition you definitely should.
Pretty much this.

I didn't see this much rage when Naughty Dog released a game which only PS3 users will ever get to play. Is it only okay for Sony to do and not for Microsoft? And no, Naughty Dog developing games exclusively for Sony doesn't make it any different.

Though, I do dislike exclusives.

Battenberg

Browncoat
Aug 16, 2012
Iron Criterion said:
I didn't see this much rage when Naughty Dog released a game which only PS3 users will ever get to play. Is it only okay for Sony to do and not for Microsoft? And no, Naughty Dog developing games exclusively for Sony doesn't make it any different.

ND are owned by Sony (and have never made games for any other platform), Microsoft don't own EA are supposed to be unbiased. I agree with your general argument but a company like Insomniac might make your point better (e.g. 'Resistance' being a PS3 launch title) although that said it seems Microsoft have grabbed them as well.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Battenberg said:
Iron Criterion said:

ND are owned by Sony (and have never made games for any other platform), Microsoft don't own EA are supposed to be unbiased. I agree with your general argument but a company like Insomniac might make your point better (e.g. 'Resistance' being a PS3 launch title) although that said it seems Microsoft have grabbed them as well.
You beat me to it.Sony has a surprisingly robust number of first party studios that put out great work. They also do some work to make them seem like third party when they're really first. Santa Monica (aka Sony Santa Monica) also collaborates with a wide range of smaller game companies to publish great work like Journey.

FYI, I do watch Jim's videos. Great stuff. He jumps the gun on a few topics he's passionate about here and there but he's absolutely one of my favorite people to watch.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
Battenberg said:
ND are owned by Sony (and have never made games for any other platform)
They made Rings of Power on the Megadrive, Keef the Thief on AppleIIGS and Way of the Warrior on 3DO.

Sony didn't open Naughty Dog, they acquired them in 2001. The only reason Crash Bandicoot was exclusive to the PS1 was because porting between systems was expensive and the PS1 utterly annihilated its competition in terms of sales to the point where you really didn't need to be multi-format to hit most of your audience.

Battenberg

Browncoat
Aug 16, 2012
ScrabbitRabbit said:
Battenberg said:
They made Rings of Power on the Megadrive, Keef the Thief on AppleIIGS and Way of the Warrior on 3DO.

Sony didn't open Naughty Dog, they acquired them in 2001. The only reason Crash Bandicoot was exclusive to the PS1 was because porting between systems was expensive and the PS1 utterly annihilated its competition in terms of sales to the point where you really didn't need to be multi-format to hit most of your audience.
They weren't Naughty Dog back then though were they? Either way I didn't say they opened ND, I said they owned them. Before that though it was Sony who took the gamble on ND and decided Crash would be their console mascot (so it would have to be exclusive), basically it was Sony('s Playstation) that really put them on the map as developers as they were relatively low level before then.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
Battenberg said:
ScrabbitRabbit said:
Battenberg said:

They weren't Naughty Dog back then though were they? Either way I didn't say they opened ND, I said they owned them. Before that though it was Sony who took the gamble on ND and decided Crash would be their console mascot (so it would have to be exclusive), basically it was Sony('s Playstation) that really put them on the map as developers as they were relatively low level before then.
Yup, those games were all released under Naughty Dog. Crash was originally published by Universal. If the Saturn had been better competition, it's hard to say whether or not it would have been multi-format, but it wasn't so exclusivity was a natural choice.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
I'm suspecting that MS threw a lot of money at EA at the last minute in order to secure a "Halo" type killer app for the XBone. They were desperate, and Titanfall seemed to be their only thing getting good press coming out of the reveals.