Rest in Peace, Wes Craven

Devan Sagliani

Apr 21, 2014
Rest in Peace, Wes Craven

If you didn't know who Wes Craven was, here's why he's going to be one of the most missed masters of horror ever.

Read Full Article

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
Very insightful read.

He will be missed, by myself and many others.

Big fan of all his work for years, especially Scream - perhaps his commercial 'peak' but not a creative one, as your article discusses some of the great projects he had in recent years.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Nightmare 2 wasn't that bad, the leading actor was actually pretty intense and very convincing.

My Soul To Take on the other hand... Now that's a stinker.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
The announcement of Wes Craven's death hit me in a kind of odd way. Because my initial reaction was "Aww, Wes Craven died. Now we'll never get another movie like..." And there was the problem. As I went through Wes Craven movies in my head I came to a realization. I didn't like Wes Craven movies. For some reason I thought I did, but going through the filmography... nope, other than People Under the Stairs I didn't like a single one.

How did he do that. I've never liked a M. Night Shyamalan movie and I hate him. Same with Michael Davis and Uwe Boll, I'll never watch another movie made by those guys. But I've only liked 1 Wes Craven movie and the rest of his movies I either simply didn't care for or actively hated. Why is it then that if someone had asked me if I was a Wes Craven fan I'd have said "yes" until I actually thought about it? I really don't know, but he did something right. He'll be missed.

WonkyWarmaiden

Jun 15, 2010
Kyrian007 said:
The announcement of Wes Craven's death hit me in a kind of odd way. Because my initial reaction was "Aww, Wes Craven died. Now we'll never get another movie like..." And there was the problem. As I went through Wes Craven movies in my head I came to a realization. I didn't like Wes Craven movies. For some reason I thought I did, but going through the filmography... nope, other than People Under the Stairs I didn't like a single one.

How did he do that. I've never liked a M. Night Shyamalan movie and I hate him. Same with Michael Davis and Uwe Boll, I'll never watch another movie made by those guys. But I've only liked 1 Wes Craven movie and the rest of his movies I either simply didn't care for or actively hated. Why is it then that if someone had asked me if I was a Wes Craven fan I'd have said "yes" until I actually thought about it? I really don't know, but he did something right. He'll be missed.
Maybe because M. Night and Uwe Boll are more overt in their terribleness? Boll takes pleasure in making people hate his movies and Shyamalan seems to be so far up his own ass that he thinks everything he makes is the best movie ever. In comparison, Wes Craven put out many cheesy and terrible movies but he never acted like they were the pinnacle of cinema or anything. I think the only movies of his I've ever watched are Nightmare on Elm Street and Scream but I enjoyed both. Love his movies or hate them, the man was a horror legend and he will be missed.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
WonkyWarmaiden said:
Maybe because M. Night and Uwe Boll are more overt in their terribleness? Boll takes pleasure in making people hate his movies and Shyamalan seems to be so far up his own ass that he thinks everything he makes is the best movie ever. In comparison, Wes Craven put out many cheesy and terrible movies but he never acted like they were the pinnacle of cinema or anything. I think the only movies of his I've ever watched are Nightmare on Elm Street and Scream but I enjoyed both. Love his movies or hate them, the man was a horror legend and he will be missed.
Well, Craven was Shyamalan levels of "up his own ass" with "Last House on the Left." But that's easy for me to forgive I suppose, it was his first movie. I wasn't particularly fond of Scream (not enough to watch the sequels anyway) but it did show he could not only throw out that "tongue in cheek, self-parody" kind of movie, but could do it and make a movie that works better than a normal "non-self referential irony" style of movie. Huge credit to him for that, it couldn't have been easy.