Retconning the Qunari as Tieflings?

Elamdri

Nov 19, 2009
Has anyone else been a bit put off by this? I mean, granted, I am enjoying Dragon Age 2, but I am having a bit of a problem with the retconning they did on the Qunari and subsequent explanation.

I mean, I thought I had a good grasp of the Qunari from Sten from DA:O, and now suddenly I have these Tiefling wannabes running around Thedas.

darth.pixie

Jan 20, 2011
...I thought they looked like the love child between Maleficent and Sten.

Which now that I've thought about it, is oddly disturbing.

Also, what's with the naked chest? What, no money for armor? I mean, the dudes are huge but still. I dislike the change since it's common now to give everyone and anything horns to make it interesting. That and red/all black eyes or white hair.

Elamdri

Nov 19, 2009
I just don't know that it was necessary. Obviously, it was done to increase their effect as villains for this game, but it just comes off as being weird.

Nesutaa

Nov 9, 2009
I actually think the changes actually help. As much as I love the qunari, in DA:O they just looked like larger, brown-skinned humans with exceedingly large foreheads. Now they actually look like something completely "alien" that understandably make other races afraid.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
It is a bit jarring, although I believe this sums it up best:

Nesutaa said:
I actually think the changes actually help. As much as I love the qunari, in DA:O they just looked like larger, brown-skinned humans with exceedingly large foreheads. Now they actually look like something completely "alien" that understandably make other races afraid.
Yep, good enough for me. Still a little bothered by the horns, but I'll get over it.

drshoktopus

Mar 7, 2011
I was thrown initially, but then I started thinking about what a retconned Sten would look like. I want to see that. I like the new models, change is good at times. This is one of those times, at least in my mind.

Elamdri

Nov 19, 2009
drshoktopus said:
I was thrown initially, but then I started thinking about what a retconned Sten would look like. I want to see that. I like the new models, change is good at times. This is one of those times, at least in my mind.
Well, they actually have an explanation for Sten. You see, apparently some Qunari are born without horns. But it's actually a very rare condition and those without horns are usually of elevated status in their society.

(Although I fail to believe that any society where the ABSENCE of giant phallic imagery on your head is a status symbol would exist.)

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Elamdri said:
Ghostwise said:
Well they sure as shit look cooler. :D
They do LOOK cooler, but was that worth such a drastic character redesign?
I was used to it after about 2 months of marketing.
I'm glad for all the race redesigns. Dwarves are the least changed (as far as I can tell, they just don't all have brown eyes), but also probably needed the least change. Elves in Origins were slightly smaller humans with pointy ears (now they have more depth in their foreheads and are much more slight of build. Their ears also are more elongated and point diagonally rather than vertically. Qunari just all looked like a WWE wrestler. I welcome more fantastical elements into fantasy.

At the risk of sounding like a "hoo-rah! explosions!" simpleton, the new Qunari look badass. The Qunari look like a threat, which makes getting to know them that much more exciting.

ThriKreen

May 26, 2006
Also, remember darkspawn = corrupt humanoids, so genlocks = dwarves, shriekers = elves, hurlocks = humans and duh duh duh ogres = qunari.

It wasn't so much a retcon, but more of a fix, as qunari were always supposed to have horns. Just that during production they had to cut making them truly unique and merely larger humans due to the work involved.

Elamdri

Nov 19, 2009
ThriKreen said:
Also, remember darkspawn = corrupt humanoids, so genlocks = dwarves, shriekers = elves, hurlocks = humans and duh duh duh ogres = qunari.

It wasn't so much a retcon, but more of a fix, as qunari were always supposed to have horns. Just that during production they had to cut making them truly unique and merely larger humans due to the work involved.
I get what you are saying, but it feels a little slapped together. You think there could have been some more in DA:O letting us know this.

Ex.

Sten: "Oh, btw, we totally usually have horns."

It just seems a little weird, especially given how you run into more Qunari in Origins besides Sten and none of them have horns either. It just seems bizarre that if not having horns is a rarity, then why all the hornless Qunari in Origins.

I mean, It's not ruining the game for me. As a comics fan, I am totally used to the retcon. It just seems strange to see all these dudes with horns running around. It's like it suddenly became Dragon Age: 4th Edition.

Zetsubou-Sama

Mar 31, 2010
I read somewhere that there are hornless Qunari, who are usually chosen for diplomatic mission and contacting other nations, hence Sten and the guy in awakening. But yes it's a retcon, not the worse though.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
I don't like what they did to Qunari and the Elves. I'm waiting for a mod to change them into their DA:O design.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
I quite like them. I have to admit that with the design in Dragon Age: Origins I didn't realise they were actually a different species for pretty much my entire first play through. And to be honest, I quite like the idea of a setting where the entire visual design is redone with every installment.

Also, am I the only who thinks the Elves look like the Navi from Avatar (but short and not blue)?

ImprovizoR said:
I don't like what they did to Qunari and the Elves. I'm waiting for a mod to change them into their DA:O design.
What don't you like about the new designs?

Elamdri said:
I can totally imagine Sten's response if you voice your surprise to him.
PC: Why didn't you tell me Qunari normally had horns?
Sten: You didn't ask.

Elamdri

Nov 19, 2009
Geo Da Sponge said:
Elamdri said:
I can totally imagine Sten's response if you voice your surprise to him.
PC: Why didn't you tell me Qunari normally had horns?
Sten: You didn't ask.
HAHAHA, yeah that would totally be how that would play out :D

Ordinaryundone

Oct 23, 2010
I like the redesign. It gives the Qunari a much stronger "alien" appearance, which is what they were obviously shooting for in both this game and in DA:O. Its better than "Those brown skinned tall guys", anyway. Sten just looked like a big guy with a weird forehead, not like the monster everyone acted like he was. These new Qunari are much more intimidating, to go along with their more imposing role in the story. Also, now they match the Ogres.

Actually, I like all the redesigns. The Elves and Dwarves actually look like their own species now, as opposed to being pointy eared and short humans, respectively. The elves have that weirdly thin, angular build that suits their magical roots, and the dwarves have been made much stockier; fitting for a race of underground warriors. The only one I can't say I like is the Darkspawn. Its not that bad, really, I just happened to really like the original designs. They do look much less like Orcs now, though.

kuyo

Dec 25, 2008
It's possible that the horns and ret-conning were just the dwarf narrator being stupid.

kickyourass

Apr 17, 2010
This is actually the only change I am genuinely put off by, while I'm sure they SOME good reason they look like that (This is bioware after all), they just look silly to me. It's been so long since I've seen just a regular old giant in a fantasy setting I was actually starting to get interested in the Qunari, now they just look like, well Tieflings on steroids, I really can't think of something more fitting to describe them

Apr 28, 2008
The story is being told by a sarcastic dwarf who is known for exaggerating stories to make them interesting.

I'm guessing he's just exaggerating what the Qunari look like.