Retro Games: Best NES games

bigmike5400

Aug 31, 2008
The legend of Zelda
Mario Brothers
Crystalis, awesome game and i haven't found too many people that have actually played it.

Chamale

Sep 9, 2009
Hiphophippo said:
Everyone who didn't say River City Ransom is doing it very wrong.
I recommend you get River City Ransom, and a backup copy of River City Ransom in case something happens to the first one.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
Manga_nerd247 said:
One more thing: Top-loader versus front-loader. Top loader > front loader, yes/no?
Top Loader is better, it can play games from the American market and PAL region...

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
Chamale said:
Hiphophippo said:
Everyone who didn't say River City Ransom is doing it very wrong.
I recommend you get River City Ransom, and a backup copy of River City Ransom in case something happens to the first one.
This sounds like something someone would make up but I swear it's true. I own three copies. Just in case.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Blaster Master
A Boy and His Blob
Dragon Warrior
Shadowgate
Excite Bike
Punch Out
Zelda
Metroid
Tetris
and much much more

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
Of course Metroid, Legend of Zelda and Kid Icarus are always the classic "must have" titles but try to find a game called "Kickle Cubicle". It's a weird little top down action puzzle game that I probably played nonstop for a good three months as a kid.

I really can't recommend the Megaman series enough.
It gets a bit squirrely around Megaman 4 but the entire core series is worth picking up and playing.

I would avoid anything branded so just say no to any comic book, movie or TV show related games. If you think movie tie-in games are bad these days they've got nothing on the terrible games from the 8-bit days.
The only exception to this is the Capcom produced Disney collection.
(Duck Tales, Rescue Rangers, Darkwing Duck etc.)

Now that I'm actually browsing through my collection I can also recommend Adventure Island, Alien Syndrome, Contra, Gauntlet, Marble Madness, Mike Tyson's Punch-Out, River city Ransom, Rockin' Kats and Star Tropics.

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
Manga_nerd247 said:
One more thing: Top-loader versus front-loader. Top loader > front loader, yes/no?
Top loader, always. the front loader has moving parts that break easily and I think the top loader is region free.

EatPieYes

Jul 22, 2010
In these days of HD gaming it's nice that some people go back to the origins. I hope you're up to the challenge though. NES games can be real brutal. Anyway, I recommend Bucky O' Hare. Think Mega Man meets classic 80s kids show.

Edit: Oh yeah, Deja Vu! First person adventure game/thriller in the style of the film noir detective films of the 30s and 40s, often starring Spencer Tracy. So goddamned brilliant.

Manga_nerd247

Apr 7, 2010
Thanks for all the replies, everyone! This should be enough to at least get me started ^_^
EatPieYes said:
In these days of HD gaming it's nice that some people go back to the origins. I hope you're up to the challenge though. NES games can be real brutal.
Me too. I suppose I'll find out!

EatPieYes

Jul 22, 2010
Manga_nerd247 said:
Thanks for all the replies, everyone! This should be enough to at least get me started ^_^
EatPieYes said:
In these days of HD gaming it's nice that some people go back to the origins. I hope you're up to the challenge though. NES games can be real brutal.
Me too. I suppose I'll find out!
You really shouldn't have too much trouble if you only got some patience. Retro gaming can be very refreshing though, in it's simplicity and difficulty.

Good luck and happy gaming!