Retro Gaming Is So 2008

tendo82

Uncanny Valley Cave Dweller
Nov 30, 2007
Retro Gaming Is So 2008

This week Tom Endo tries to be a retro gamer.

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
If you're looking for retro games to be anything more than pure fun, you're looking for the wrong thing.

Retro games are popular for that specific reason: They are fun, and nothing more.
Try playing Contra, its general regarded as one of the best NES games, yet you won't find anything thing deeper than, "Hey lets kill some stuff."

These days, people (developers especially) seem to thing that making games fun is a little bit beneath them. Its like they are trying to convince themselves that at the end of the day, all they are really doing is playing with a toy. Yes, the 360 is a toy, so is the PS3. You're lying to yourself if you think otherwise. A definition of the word toy is: Something that is specifically designed for fun.

I for one am sick of modern games that try to be some work of serious fiction. The result, more often than not, reeks of pretention.

AhhARealMonster

Feb 4, 2009
You wanted to try out retro gaming and you went for PC Engine and Neo Geo, two systems that almost no one owned? (except for PC Engine of course... IN JAPAN) Then you proceed to play some hair metal game and World Heroes? Christ, no wonder why you had a bad experience.

Amiga, C64, NES, and Genesis for the retro (SNES if you feel like stretching it out a bit further). Atari, maybe, but if you weren't there there's no reason (and it sounds like you weren't there). On the PC, there's Origin and Lucas who put out some great classic titles.

You've got to do some research first, but I applaud your effort. I hope this won't deter you from checking out real "classic" games in the future.

Cortheya

Elite Member
Jan 10, 2009
matrix3509 said:
I for one am sick of modern games that try to be some work of serious fiction. The result, more often than not, reeks of pretention.
i think its perfectly possible for it to be done well

Woe Is You

Jul 5, 2008
harhol said:
The previous two console generations have such a rich & varied library of games that retro gaming no longer serves a useful purpose...
A useful purpose? That's one of the strangest comments I've seen for a while. Is there a useful purpose for gaming in general?

The earlier eras of gaming were interesting since (especially the NES/C64 era and before that) you had a lot of mad people with programming skills doing games mostly by themselves. This meant that the ideas they had were implemented almost completely uncompromised. Results were games like Mario, M.U.L.E. (a board game like market simulator, is vastly more fun than it sounds), Archon and a whole load of other bizarre titles. Someone like Miyamoto would have a very hard time pitching an idea like SMB in today's landscape but then the concept didn't really have to make sense.

Sure, today we have the occasional downloadable game that's like this, but back then it was really the norm rather than the exception.

I'm not saying there weren't bad games: games like Ikari Warriors and Yie Ar Kung Fu are examples of pretty awful games I used to think were awesome back in the day. Cauldron and Cauldron 2 were awful even then, chiefly because of their crappy controls. I'm just saying that seeing old as irrelevant and unplayable is just as bad as letting nostalgia take the better of you.

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
Great article Tendo, you handsome fellow you.
Retro gaming is something I have indulged in, primarily to see what all the fuss was about. I think a lot of it is about nostalgia. I found a few gems when I got a few retro consoles, but a lot of the games that people wax poetic about were bland and not that much fun at all.

peachy_keen

Feb 1, 2009
The only game I've retro played on purpose was Mario RPG. So much fun. And, I agree with the comment up there, if you're doing it for any other reason but for fun's sake, then you are doing it wrong.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
Samurai Showdown didn't hit its stride until the second or third in the series. Beautiful fighting game, probably the first one I actually stopped and just enjoyed watching. First one was ass if I remember correctly though.

I dunno, it's more of a milestone game than something you really approach to have fun with. If you want to watch the evolution of the genre, this was one of the first games that tried to look pretty.

Tales of Golden Sun

Dec 18, 2008
Nice article, but... retro gaming ins't sooo 2008...
it's 1990! :D

I still enjoy my FFVI and Chrono Trigger... but then again that's just me

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
tetris, Sonic 2, Megaman and Mario games are all we need from the retro section of gaming.

Vortigar

Nov 8, 2007
World Heroes? Are you serious? That game is so laughably broken. I'm talking bug riddled, wooden movement, crappy hit detection type broken here. I still loved it, if only for the fact you could play with Rasputin and his heavy punch was a giant yellow hand. Jeanne d'Arc was also worth a few giggles.

I'm still amazed they put that game on the Virtual Console.

Anyway, I loved the Kyoshiro reference (that's Samsho's Kabuki guy for those not in the know).

And this is just about how I feel about retro gaming as well.

teh_v

Jun 29, 2008
I love retro gaming. Me and a work buddy go down to a store that only sells used games ever pay day and throw down like 20 bucks for old NES games. It fun to spend a night playing games where the only thing you have to understand is that A is your jump button and B is for attack. That and 8 bit music is awesome.