Return of the PS2 Games - Three Star Wars Classics Land On PS4

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Return of the PS2 Games - Three Star Wars Classics Land On PS4

The Star Wars games featured in Battlefront's limited edition console are now available on the PlayStation Store.

When Sony created the limited edition Star Wars: Battlefront PS4 console, it sweetened the pot with a few gaming classics. These were retro Star Wars games which did fairly well in their day, but hadn't seen re-releases in the current console generation. Of the whole set, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/goodoldreviews/15104-Super-Star-Wars-Good-Old-Review#&gid=gallery_5168&pid=1>Super Star Wars gained the most attention <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/161465-Super-Star-Wars-Re-Released-on-PS4-and-Vita>since it was made available on the PlayStation Store at the same time. But now the other three games are available digitally as well: Star Wars: Bounty Hunter, Star Wars: Jedi Starfighter, and Star Wars: Racer Revenge.

Each of these games takes place during the prequel era of the Star Wars Expanded Universe - a field that arguably produced better stories than the prequel films themselves. Star Wars: Bounty Hunter was a third-person shooter about Jango Fett tracking a deadly Dark Jedi. Star Wars: Jedi Starfighter was a sequel to the original Starfighter game where space pilots could also draw from Force powers. Finally, Racer Revenge was a console podracing sim, part of a genre that sold quite well in the wake of Episode 1: Racer.

[gallery=5445]

None of these titles set the gaming world on fire like Battlefront, but they were all well-reviewed games of which I suspect many players have fond memories. If you'd like to play them for yourself, you can grab copies from the PlayStation Store for $9.99 each.

Source: GamesRadar

TelosSupreme

Dec 8, 2015
Awesome all the way. I loved playing Bounty Hunter and Racer Revenge on PS2 as a kid and Bounty Hunter is still one of my favorite Star Wars games. I really wish it was given a PC port, though. It should've had one from the beginning, but I'll take seeing these games come back over nothing any day.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
HMMMMM! Well this is interesting. Can anyone recommend any of these games to me?

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
erttheking said:
HMMMMM! Well this is interesting. Can anyone recommend any of these games to me?
I had a lot of fun with Episode 1: Racer back in the day. It's a bunch of podracing, with a bunch of flimsy vehicles that take damage and can be slowed down or destroyed (They respawn). Some of the levels are really tricky and complex, and reward working out the mechanics thoroughly.

It was ugly as sin though, and the connection to Star Wars is of course, podracing, and that part of Star Wars kind of sucked.

I always wanted to finish the campaign, because you unlock other racers by doing it, and I wanted to unlock Sebulba's pod, which reportedly has a flamethrower.

This Racer doesn't look like a far cry from it. Starfighter you can still get on PC, and it's basically what it says on the tin, a relatively simple fighter game. Graphics options in this one are frustrating as hell, the resolution sucks, so I'm interested to see what they do for the port.

Space Jawa

Feb 2, 2010
Loonyyy said:
I always wanted to finish the campaign, because you unlock other racers by doing it, and I wanted to unlock Sebulba's pod, which reportedly has a flamethrower.
As someone who successfully unlocked Sebulba's pod in Episode I Racer, I can confirm that yes, it did come with a side-mounted flamethrower, and yes, you could use it to set other racers pods on fire.

I can't, however, confirm the rumor that Gasgano has a buzzsaw hidden in his pod.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Each of these games takes place during the prequel era of the Star Wars Expanded Universe - a field that arguably produced better stories than the prequel films themselves.
That's proven true for Post OT as well. Star Wars was such a power house IP because of it's multimedia approach. Name any existing way to expand lore and Star Wars did it.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
erttheking said:
If it's cheap, bounty hunter can be a larf. I haven't played it since the ps2 era but I remember enjoying it as a rental, though that was back when I still thought the prequels were okay. It ties into Attack of the Clones in a way, giving a backstory no one really asked for.

The thing I recall enjoying the most was Jangos arsenal and jetpack.

Ultimately all this did was make me want a Boba Fett themed game. Oh well, I'll make do with console commands in Jedi Academy (here is where I would have put a video showing this off, but I couldn't find any).

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Loonyyy said:
It certainly did, completely useless as it was it was still awesome, Bullseye Navior was the best, stuck to the corners like glue.

There's a PC version of the N64 game out there somewhere, although it seems to have fallen into the abandonware abyss of maybe legally obtainable maybe not. The PS2 version is mostly a re-make except it has a story (for reasons?) and the pods are tougher but don't respawn. I always liked the N64 one better.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Psn have been slowly rereleasing Ps2 (and i...think the odd ps3) games at this price for quite a while now. Good to see somebody's finally noticed. Even if it was just for star wars. To be honest though, it doesn't feel as good value as...i dunno, backwards compatibility. Just waiting for shadow of the colossus and metal gear solid 4 now. Just waiting. *sobs quietly*