Revenge of the Metacritics: Diablo III Getting Review-Bombed

LiquidGrape

Sep 10, 2008
So this is happening already. [http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/diablo-iii]

In short, within the first few hours of its launch, D3 has already accumulated half the amount of negative "reviews" which Mass Effect 3 has garnered in total at this juncture.
Currently, it's user score is a measly 3.3.

Speaking as someone who doesn't have the game, I'm curious to know whether those who have actually played it would say this reaction is warranted; server issues, DRM and auction house aside?

Question: does this finally prove that gaming culture has a certain measure of entitlement issues, or is it merely the righteous indignation of customers and fans scorned?

Stormz

Jul 4, 2009
Probably it doesn't gameplay wise, but I'm gad so many people are still passionate about this DRM bull. Because now that Diablo 3 has done it. I can guarentee every developer and their dog is going to force singleplayer to be an online only experience despite the fact it fucking SHOULDN'T.

Also no one is entitled, if I bu...fuck it, noone cares anymore now do they? the publishers have officially won anyway so why bother voicing my opinion.

zombieshark6666

Sep 27, 2011
I think it's sad that the zeroes will probably be deleted even though people have a right to be angry about not being able to play a single-player game offline. They warned about this before release! I don't care, people should be able to use whatever they purchased.

zombieshark6666

Sep 27, 2011
TheKasp said:
zombieshark6666 said:
I think it's sad that the zeroes will probably be deleted even though people have a right to be angry about not being able to play a single-player game offline. They warned about this before release! I don't care, people should be able to use whatever they purchased.
This does not justify a zero score. Especially since it is NOT news. Especially since D3 is obviously NOT an offline game.
Game doesn't work = 0

I don't have a problem with the score, honestly. I do wonder if all the real issues about the actual game are real too. I've never been very clicky, so I don't know much about the legacy.

dimensional

Jun 13, 2011
I would take it more as a statement that people arent happy with certain design choices within the game rather than a review of the game itself.

You get the ridiculous `reviews` on almost all games especially high profile ones but if it gets a real hammering then you cant just right it off, there is obviously some very unpopular aspects to the game that people are strongly opposed to.

way2sl0w

Resident COD Fanboy
Jan 29, 2012
Serves them right for removing everything that was ever good from the best game of all time (d2) and cramming always online crap and not having it even work correctly at launch after 10 years!

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
The game is literally unplayable at the moment so ONLY the zero scores should be considered valid.

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
To be perfectly honest, reading some of the user reviews and seeing how they seem to be taking a WoW approach to Diablo, I can understand people getting pissed at the changes, not to mention that retarded DRM and server issues...

Not defending vote bombing, just saying that some people seem to have legitimate gripes that I can relate to, as a Diablo 1&2 fan.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Sounds like Metacritic. Critic score 11/10, user score 2/10, usefulness of Metacritic to potential players 0/10.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
I'd be more surprised if it wasn't getting review bombed. Seriously, what popular game these days isn't? Pretty sure it's just a right of passage at this point: Congrats, your game is popular and mainstream enough it's been review bombed!

Emiscary

Sep 7, 2008
It's a user review site. Users reviewed the game.

Them reviewing it poorly reflects negatively on the people who made the game, and no one else.

Aug 20, 2011
"Question: does this finally prove that gaming culture has a certain measure of entitlement issues, or is it merely the righteous indignation of customers and fans scorned?"

Blizzard doesn't "deserve" a good score just because they made Diablo 2. User reviews are going to be based on their experience with the game, and that can't be divorce from things like horrible DRM.

Don't worry, "professional" critics are still going to rubber stamp this with a 9/10.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
This is why I only pay attention to the yellow votes and read them to see if they make sense. :p

pure.Wasted

Oct 12, 2011
zombieshark6666 said:
And if I buy a Halo title without owning an Xbox, I should give it a zero for not being able to play it on a PS3, because there's really no reason I shouldn't be able to play it on a PS3 except for the fact that they didn't make the game that way and I knew ahead of time?

Get real.

zombieshark6666 said:
TheKasp said:
zombieshark6666 said:
This does not justify a zero score. Especially since it is NOT news. Especially since D3 is obviously NOT an offline game.
Game doesn't work = 0

I don't have a problem with the score, honestly. I do wonder if all the real issues about the actual game are real too. I've never been very clicky, so I don't know much about the legacy.
How much gaming culture has changed in just 8 years. You know the same thing happened when WoW went live? Exact same thing.

Except it didn't get review bombed, because gamers weren't so militarized that they were already waiting, pitchforks in hand, to pounce on the game for ANY inconvenience, however minor.

And it is minor. You're going to have this game forever. You can play it for years. One day's worth of server crashes is beyond miniscule in comparison.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Blizzard saw success and decided to try and ride the wave. Its not the first or the last time it will happen. Reading through most of the reviews, people are legitimately pissed about specific aspects of the game. Its not just a bomb session. Blizzard has actually screwed up, BIGTIME. I figure the professional reviews haven't showed up yet, because they are still having trouble accessing the game to make the review.

pure.Wasted

Oct 12, 2011
Antari said:
Blizzard saw success and decided to try and ride the wave. Its not the first or the last time it will happen. Reading through most of the reviews, people are legitimately pissed about specific aspects of the game. Its not just a bomb session. Blizzard has actually screwed up, BIGTIME. I figure the professional reviews haven't showed up yet, because they are still having trouble accessing the game to make the review.
Professional reviewers aren't playing the game now, they played it last week and before, when it was them and them alone using up all that server space. So, no, it's highly unlikely that they're "having trouble accessing the game."

Regardless of nerdragers' dreams and hopes and speculations.