Revenge

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Gotta love the moment in Prototype you get that mid-air slam with the sword, which immediately renders both those troublesome big motherfuckers and tanks instantly to the equivalent of moving barrels of EXP. For how long did they torment us with that, where trying to fight two of those buggers at once meant getting your buttocks pulled out your throat, and hit-and-run was your best bet (if you couldn't find a rocket nearby). And then, towards the end of the game, they give you that wonderful move, which neatly slices the big brutes in two with one or two strikes. That is indeed the epitome of revenge and leveling in gaming.

Tzekelkan

Dec 27, 2009
Awesome, Niko Bellic's my favourite GTA protagonist as well! He's tough but caring, hard but likeable, humble yet strong. A man of few words, but great wit. He's very well written. Another character I'd like to try out is Luis from Ballad of Gay Tony. Haven't had the chance yet but think I'd like him too.

The_ModeRazor

Jul 29, 2009
Will we get to command a Big Fucking Ship at the end of FSG:TG? (talk about revenge and all that) I always wanted to take the Executor for a proper test drive.
And yeah, Niko was a good protagonist. He was reasonably insane, and it was pretty cool driving around in a black Cognoscenti wearing a suit and listening to the jazz station.

Otterpoet

Jun 6, 2008
I'm glad I'm not the only one that felt Oblivion's equal leveling detracted from the game. I missed the panicky moments of encountering something far beyond my abilities in Morrowind (the tombs, in particular :p), eventually followed by the elation of doing some serious damage when I returned later at a higher level.

Perhaps that's why I like Demon's Souls so much... the sheer joy of finally feeding some bastard his spleen, after having been shown your own colon a dozen times over just by walking in the same room.

ben---neb

No duckies...only drowning
Apr 22, 2009
I'm reading the Count of Monto Cristo at this moment in time! Yatzee and I have something in common! PARTY!

Also, Half Life 2 does the 'revenge' thing well as in the last level with the pimped up gravity gun is a great reward for the hard work gone in before.

EDIT: Ninja'd. Great.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
ah, good read

yeah I hope his own game gets widespread release, maybe even on XBLA and PSN? one can only hope...
(that, and there will be spoken dialogue, and all the characters will be voiced by Yahtzee himself, seeing as how he's a pretty capable voice actor from what we've seen)

bet he's gonna throw in a scene where some generic space marines appear and all get fried? lol his fav

CyricZ said:
Note to self: Find Yahtzee a robust Eastern European man to keep him warm on those cold Aussie nights.
lolll sounds like a plan

Dracosage

Feb 23, 2010
Actually, Yahtzee, nearly all advances in mathematical theory and application have come from adding things to both sides to change the form of whatever it is you're trying to mess with. Hell, many elementary differential equations require that you multiply by an integration factor on both sides to obtain the answer.

Icecoldcynic

Oct 5, 2009
I have to completely disagree on Niko Bellic being a good character. When i was playing GTA IV, for the first few missions I thought it was interesting that they had seemingly created a character with morals and a backstory; this was short lived however. As the game went on, they strayed further and further from the original character of Niko, and he transitioned very jerkily from "Willing to do anything for his cousin and what he believes in, hesitant to kill" to "Willing to do anything, even mass murder, for the sake of a little money". I thought it was pretty terrible character development personally.

temporalcrux

Nov 9, 2009
There's a moment in Parasite Eve when, once you've upgraded a weapon into a cock-death dealing monstrosity that even makes Ray Charles flinch, that killing everything that was annoying you before becomes quite fun. And then you beat the game, and they stick you in a tower that has basically everything you killed and pissed off, deciding that your ass was quite delicious and they would like to have another.

Progression of character, via skills or weapons, is always a fun thing, but sometimes it just takes away from the purest element that you started playing and loving the game for. Case in point is Silent Hill, where finding a tuning fork and bubblegum might count as your upgrade for the location. And the bubblegum has one use, at which point you try to say the Duke Nukem line and then scream like a little girl as some random bloke with heads for feet eats you.

Oblivion suffered heavily from the "Final Fantasy 8" complex, where unless you found some way to cheat the system and rob a church or two, your weaponry was the only thing between you and an early visit between you and a skull polisher in the local Assassin's guild. In both games, you move forward, and all senses of accomplishment are thrown out the window the moment you are put outside the storyline and told to waddle from A to B.

If NEXON wasn't such bastards, then I'd recommend DFO as a source of "I spent HOW many hours playing this? Screw the hard guys, I'm going poke the level 13 monsters since I'm level 30." revenge.

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
wow, I argued against that point in that other thread. I think it might have been yellowhead. I feel relevant now.

Anyway, yea, like Metroid prime's black hole. That thing was badass but it didn't work on the final bosses, it was justa fun little tool to use agains tminions for some extra fun at the end. That kind of stuff is what makes games awesome, but an unbreakable guard/counter doesn't make a game fun unless you still have the final boss smash right through it.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
Kushin said:
Ah... I remember Metroid Fusion, owning the SA-X with the Ice Beam after so long felt so good.
Personally, I thought the part in Zero Mission where you get your Power Suit back from the space pirates was the bes revenge time in a game. After having to sneak around for so long, it was amazingly fun to just be able to murder everything in the face.

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
This, lack of difficulty curve is what made oblivion unsatisfying in places. Really when you are lvl 50 a goblin should not be able to hand you your ass.

Nice for the update too!

Dracosage

Feb 23, 2010
Also, for someone who hates Joss Whedon, FSG:TG is sounding more and more like Firefly.

thebreadbinman

Jan 24, 2010
perhaps the protagonist in FSG:TG used to work for wheel but did something naughty, and had to run away, thus no longer having any money, and constantly being hunted by bounty hunters/wheel itself...?

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
j0frenzy said:
I'm kind of surprised that he never mentioned the super gravity gun from Half Life 2, because when it comes to end game super badassery that moment did it right. Introduce a game breaking mechanic that comes into play for only a small portion of the game. Get to kill enemies that have been bothersome all game by just breathing on them, but not have it last for too long to get boring.
What also made this for me was the sheer volume of guards they threw at you. It made sense, you were in their base, so they're swarming, but they fucked up and super powered your best weapon into an unstoppable bringer of death. It was still challenging, due to sheer number, but the badassery levels were through the roof. I didn't really like the fact that you willingly gave yourself to them before the end though, especially after that. It didn't make much sense...

Also, another form of this pops up in the end of episode 2. I mean come on, how awesome is it bringing down a freaking dozen striders, and an assload of hunters. It was the best part of the entire series for me, finally kicking their asses with about half a second to spare...

hamster mk 4

Apr 29, 2008
I am glad to hear you haven't given up on FSG:TG. Most hobby game devs, my self included, get realy excited about a new idea for a few weeks but loose interest over the following months. Stay strong Yahtzee, stay strong.

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
I list my all-time favorite book as The Count of Monte Cristo.
Somehow, I am unsurprised by this. In a different time and place, I think Mr. Croshaw would be the kind of man seeking to blow up Parliament.