Review: Abe's Oddysee

dunnace

Oct 10, 2008
Review: Abe's Oddysee

To be or not to be Tasty Treats? Abe thinks not. Lewis Dunn reviews Abe's Oddysee.

Read Full Article

Nailog

Apr 14, 2009
Go and get this game, by buying, begging or burglary, just find a way to play this wonderful piece of gaming.
A note, for those who can't play it on the Playstation.

It's available for purchase on Steam as well as Good Old Games.

Takoto

Mar 25, 2009
Abe's Oddysee took up so many hours of my life when I was younger, as did Abe's Exodus, and Munch's Oddysee.

Woem

May 28, 2009
Takoto said:
Abe's Oddysee took up so many hours of my life when I was younger, as did Abe's Exodus, and Munch's Oddysee.
I wasn't aware there was a third Oddworld game, but by the looks of it Munch's Oddysee doesn't really follow the 2D platform idea, and that's what makes it extra special for me.

Amarok

Dec 13, 2008
As you can tell from my avatar, I'm something of a fan too.
Good review sir, good review.
However
*angry nerd glasses*
Not ALL Mudokons have stitched lips; Abe had his mouth sewn up because he cried loudly as a baby!
*removes the angry nerd glasses*

Aaah, I think I might just buy it again on Steam :)

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Probably my most cherished game as a kid. Really hope they go back to 2D to make a true sequel to Exodus.

Monkfish Acc.

May 7, 2008
This was one of my favorite games ever when I was younger.
I would thank you for the blast of nostalgia, but all this rose-tinted vision is making me nauseous.
I am going to go lie down now.
And also take some painkillers.
Yay painkillers.

(Seriously, though, good review)

TheScarecrow

Jul 27, 2009
Ohhh, I remember the demo we had of Abe's Exodus on ye olde PC, such fun.
Munch's Oddysee was most excellent too.
They're on Steam you say? That would be worth looking up.
Amarok said:
*angry nerd glasses*
Not ALL Mudokons have stitched lips; Abe had his mouth sewn up because he cried loudly as a baby!
*removes the angry nerd glasses*
I thought it was just because he was a slave, did many of them not have they're lips sewn up?

Has anyone played Stranger? If so, what's the opinion?

TheScarecrow

Jul 27, 2009
Monkfish Acc. said:
I would thank you for the blast of nostalgia, but all this rose-tinted vision is making me nausious.
Yay painkillers.

Painkillers? Careful, don't end up like seriel painkiller addict Max Payne.

plastic_window

Jun 29, 2008
Nice review, Mr Dunn. I agree with everything you said - particularly your paragraph about how well-realised Oddworld is. I always found it hard to put it into words and you've done a marvelous job of doing that.

I loved this game when I was a kid, and because of that the Steam port's a little alien and I can't get used to it - however, if you've never experienced anything Oddworld, I have to urge you to try it.

If I have one criticism of the game itself though, it is the difficulty of some puzzles. Luckily they fixed this problem in Exoddus with the divine apostle Quick Save. I'm not even sure if the Steam port fixed this.

Monkfish Acc.

May 7, 2008
FelixFox. said:
Monkfish Acc. said:
I would thank you for the blast of nostalgia, but all this rose-tinted vision is making me nauseous.
Yay painkillers.

Painkillers? Careful, don't end up like seriel painkiller addict Max Payne.
YOU CAN'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO YOU'RE NOT THE BOSS OF ME SAKLGDHGASDF
You'd think I wouldn't have to put in these little disclaimers, but I do.
I am joking. Do not be offended.

plastic_window

Jun 29, 2008
FelixFox. said:
Has anyone played Stranger? If so, what's the opinion?
Dude. It's awesome.

Brilliant graphics for the Xbox - they still look good if you ask me, with some beautiful animations, varied settings and character designs; comfortable controls for both 3rd and 1st person view-points; a typically dark and comical Oddworld storyline.

The only bad thing for me is the lack of sound quality, it's so low and gravelly during gameplay that you'll need to turn on subtitles, but during the exquisitely-rendered cutscenes it's fine.

If you have the means, go pick it up. One of the best console-shooters ever made.

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
Oddworld Series among games is truly 11 out of 10.
One of the best Games ever for what they are worth.

It´s damn Hard but the totally exact controls never let you down.

TheScarecrow

Jul 27, 2009
plastic_window said:
Dude. It's awesome.

Brilliant graphics for the Xbox - they still look good if you ask me, with some beautiful animations, varied settings and character designs; comfortable controls for both 3rd and 1st person view-points; a typically dark and comical Oddworld storyline.

The only bad thing for me is the lack of sound quality, it's so low and gravelly during gameplay that you'll need to turn on subtitles, but during the exquisitely-rendered cutscenes it's fine.

If you have the means, go pick it up. One of the best console-shooters ever made.
Damn, wish I picked it up when it was in the shops now. However with that good of a recommendation I'll have to find a copy.

dunnace

Oct 10, 2008
Haha, thanks for the praise guys, stitch lips noted (I can't believe I forgot that...) and Strangers was an odd one for me, I initially hated it for not having muddokens and sligs in, but I grew to love it, whether it's an Oddworld game is still a bit of a moot point with me. Munch was too hard, even for Oddworld.

plastic_window

Jun 29, 2008
dunnace said:
Haha, thanks for the praise guys, stitch lips noted (I can't believe I forgot that...) and Strangers was an odd one for me, I initially hated it for not having muddokens and sligs in, but I grew to love it, whether it's an Oddworld game is still a bit of a moot point with me. Munch was too hard, even for Oddworld.
I think Stranger typifies what Oddworld was as a developer. Oddworld tried something radical that they hadn't done before and, for me, they pulled it off. They were a company that wanted to tell good stories in a medium that they were good at telling stories in. They had a habit of doing things a little bit differently than most other developers.

Anyone else would've finished the quintology and eventually started another one once they had established their ravenous legions of fans. Oddworld just liked to do things a little bit more odd than anyone else.

I'm not sure if I could sound any more like a bottom-feeding fanboy if I tried. But, hey, everyone has a developer they trust. Mine's Oddworld.

MetaKnight19

Jul 8, 2009
The Great JT said:
Maybe this means we'll see more of Abe, Munch and the others!
we can only hope. but that was a very thourough, well constructed review of a very good game. kudos to you and your review writing skills

L3m0n_L1m3

Jul 27, 2009
I remember loving this game, too bad I was about 5 when I had it so I didn't have any bloody clue about what to do.

Possessing sligs was fun though. Heh.