Review: Alpha Protocol

UlteriorMotive

May 28, 2009
Maybe it's me but I never noticed any control issues on the 360. Mikey Thorton didn't go running off on me, he normally did what I told him to do.

My only two beefs with the game is the fact that it just doesn't seem viable to use the shotgun or SMGs on the higher difficulty as the enemies are accurate as hell and do more dmg with each shot and the other issue is that Michael Thorton cannot engage in hand-to-hand combat in the later levels unless you did some decent leveling in his melee skill, even the low level goons could take him.

All in all, I found it a fun game, worth the $60 bucks I spent.

piglatinpoet

Jun 15, 2010
PC version doesn't have the graphical glitches or the control issues of the consoles (I played with an Xbox controller on my PC) but the AI leaves a lot to be desired-- even on the hardest setting, I beat the entire game in less than 20 hours. For an espionage thriller that supposedly spans the globe, Alpha Protocol lacks little in ambition, but much in delivery. It's worth a peek and maybe a rental.

Read: the dialogue options and multiple endings are a great idea-- unfortunately no matter what you do, the ending is basically the same (unless you played an ass and killed virtually everyone). Nice try, SEGA. But try harder.

Macrobstar

Apr 28, 2010
why is it that im one of the only people who enjoyed this game, there are bugs but there not gamebreaking

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
So has a patch come out for this game yet because I still want to give it a try despite all the negative press.

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
I just bought the Steam version on the sale, and I don't know if they've patched the bugs out...but this is one of the most fun games I've played in a LONG time.

Seriously, it's great. Fun, varied gameplay, varied objectives, interesting levels, decent storyline, massive re-playability...I can't get enough, went through 8 hours on my first day!

powertieke

Sep 11, 2011
Without a doubt one of the best games I've played in the last five years, and the first game I've ever finished more than once (Currently on my third playthrough, first as operative (Starting XP in stealth and pistols), second as recruit (No starting XP), and now as a veteran (A LOT of starting XP)).

This is a game that many reviewers will mention a few years down the line as one of the most important games of this gen. Sure, it gets some stuff wrong, especially when compared to other shooters, but the stuff it gets right more than makes up for it. Funny thing is, most of the stuff it gets wrong as a shooter, actually make sense for an RPG. If you're not experienced with a certain weapon, it makes sense that you will have to steady your aim a little longer to hit your target.

I'm playing through Mass Effect 2 right now, and in addition to encountering WAY more bugs and stalls than I've encountered in my hours and hours with Alpha Protocol, I constantly find myself thinking "Why isn't this more like Alpha Protocol?".

Awesome game, shame we won't get a sequel.