Review Arena: Community Review Contest

NewClassic_v1legacy

Bringer of Words
Jul 30, 2008
[HEADING=2]Review Arena vs. Film Noir 3: The Fate of Two Worlds[/HEADING]​

Cue mood music. [audio=http://www.koimics.com/sounds/FilmNoirJazz.mp3]
Evenings in the business often end up like this one. Rainy afternoons yielding to disquieting evenings. Another day in the city, another lost life to the urban decay and rampant social ladder-climbing. Thinkers like I am would do better to keep our heads down, down a shot of whiskey, and try to forget everything we know. Can't be helped when a guy with a gun walks into your office. His hand shook as he raised the .45 to my head, and spoke through the torrent of drops dragging off the brim of his hat.
"Do another review contest."
"Review contest?"
"Yeah, your boss Spinwhiz put me up to it, see? Either you do another contest, or we kill that dame you call a wife."

Just like this city, to put me up to another contest. Last one ended in a back-alley shootout. Lost my secretary to an errant bullet. Dame could field clients without thinking about it, and could've given me this job without the business end of a barrel up my nose. Nasty business, that.

"Alright, I'll do your review contest. Under one condition. You get me a patsy. Some kid to do the moving and shaking."
"I ain't your errand boy, son. Spinwhiz isn't going to wait all month for you to hire some yuppie off the street."
"I've got a man already. But we're doing this my way."
"Whatever you say, Lassic, but it's your ass on the life if this one goes south."

I turned to my typewriter, and began drawing up the flyer. I could feel the oppressive haze as rain pelted my dusty windowsill. The spinning fan above causes the shadows to dance across the office. In my mind, I could still feel the cold stare of a .45, reminding me of the price of failure. Evenings in the business often end up like this one.

[HEADING=2]Subject:[/HEADING]
Any game is free reign. The only qualification is that the review is written in the style of a Film Noir. This could mean atmosphere, tone, or even using a narrator. This is up to the writer.

[HEADING=2]Rules:[/HEADING]
The rules are simple, each contestant must submit an anonymous review up to 1,500 words. The review must be spoiler-free and sent by private message to [user]NewClassic[/user] no later than 11:59:59 (GMT) on June 25th. Reviews may contain up to two pictures. Captions are not allowed on the pictures. Only one entry is allowed per user. Do not post entries on this thread. Any entries posted here, or whose content reveals the writer, will be disqualified.

Entries will be judged mainly on content, but formatting, spelling and punctuation will also be a consideration. Users will also judge on the Film Noir theme. Pictures will also be taken into account, should you use them, so judicious use of the image inline tags are recommended.

Once the deadline has elapsed, it will be up to the community to decide who the winner is. The catch is the reviews will be listed by a number, not a name. Two reviews will be pit against one another by drawing, and the review with the most votes will move to the next round. All reviews are on a single-elimination basis. At the loss of a round, or the end of the contest, the review writer will be announced.

The prizes are yet undisclosed, but infinite recognition is a definite likelihood.

[HEADING=2]Frequently Asked Questions:[/HEADING]

Q: Pictures allowed? Reviews judged anonymously? This all so new and frightening!
A: Not really, nilcypher had a similar setup for the Fallout 3 review contest some time ago.

Q: If we're not posting reviews here, what's the point of this thread?
A: Ask and answer questions, announce your intent to join the contest, a unified place to read the rules, that kind of thing.

Q: Is this an official Escapist Magazine contest?
A: This is a community-run event, so no. However, I'm doing what I can to put prize packs together of some kind or another. More word on that as time progresses.

Q: Can I just link a review that I'm hosting on another website?
A: No, because it has to be posted here on the forums to be judged, so it's a really good idea to write it so that's it compatible with our native BBCode. Also, if it can be tied to you in any way, it's disqualified. This includes personal Photobucket accounts for screenshots.

Q: Let's get down to nuts and bolts, why only 1,500 words?
A: As far as size goes, an average review should be in this neighborhood already. It's to challenge the writer, but leave enough room for the reader to get the big picture. Any higher, and it's likely to end up overdoing it.

Q: Could I get away with fewer words?
A: Sure.

Q: Could I get away with more words?
A: No.

Q: Oh, go on.
A: Still no.

Q: Do I have to count the words individually?
A: You can if you like, but most word processors will count them up for you. If you don't have a word processor, you can find an open-source processor called OpenOffice [http://www.openoffice.org/].

Q: About these pictures, are there any size limits?
A: Technically no, but if you dump a huge 1680 x 1050 image into your review, it will likely count against you. Keep them a sensible size and everything will be fine.

Q: Are you going to pull any weird tricks?
A: Well... D'uh.

Q: Can I promote my review when it's up for a vote?
A: No, since you would be using popularity instead of talent to get votes. Talent wins the contest, not internet-charm! Also, breaks the anonymity clause.

Q: Can we use old reviews that have already been posted to the Escapist forums, or must they be new reviews?
A: Has to be new. It won't be anonymous if it's identifiable.

Q: Can I change my review after I've sent it?
A: You have until the the deadline to propose changes.

Q: I've posted my review in this thread, now what?
A: I'm afraid you're disqualified. Do not post reviews in this thread. If you have, re-write of a different game, and submit via PM only. That is all.

Good luck, one and all!

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
Sign me up!

I like the spin on the traditional review scheme too.

Now off to watch Casablanca in preparation!
[sub](Yes I know its really not a film noir, I just like it :p)[/sub]

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
I might actually try this. I've never done one of these before, no hurt in entering.

T-Bone24

Dec 29, 2008
So, I'm a bit confused, does the review still have to contain all the usual information, how well it performs or how it controls etc, or is it just a noir discussion of the game chosen?

NewClassic_v1legacy

Bringer of Words
Jul 30, 2008
Aluminum76 said:
So do we PM you?
PM me the completed review when it is written, given that it's finished on June 10th. Other than that, you're free to take your time writing, working, editing, and so on.

joethekoeller said:
What's the timetable for voting?
Last time, I got caught in the uncomfortable position of moving towns, transferring universities, and completing finals all during the time-table for voting. Although that's really no excuse.

This time, I've employed a few hands to make sure I keep myself organized, and have two or three fail-safes in case I drop the ball again. At latest, the first round of voting should begin on Monday, June 13th, 2011. Although I'm shooting for Saturday, June 11th. That's going to depend on how many entries I receive, whether or not rosters need any Byes assigned. In any case, expect it shortly after the deadline.

T-Bone24 said:
So, I'm a bit confused, does the review still have to contain all the usual information, how well it performs or how it controls etc, or is it just a noir discussion of the game chosen?
Considering the vote is going to be done by the general community, and no specific judges, the criteria for judging is going to be different depending on a lot of different variables. Speaking from my personal experience, writing a review while working in Noir elements would probably do better for the judges, as they'd have a review to work from. But if you think story discussion would work better, that's your decision as a writer.

You're welcome to do it how you'd like, just remember that anyone who posts in a thread can and likely will be your judge. Write accordingly.

darth jacen

Sith Reviewer
Jul 15, 2009
I'm in! I have never been lucky enough or self-assured enough to enter before, but that changes now. I will be playing some L.A. Noire to get in the mood, expect some smooth words held together with classy strapless dresses and... where was I going? Oh, yeah, I'm in.

Ajna

Doublethinker
Mar 19, 2009
Probably will enter.

What's your suggestion with how to link images, assuming we don't want to use stock photos?

Make a brand new photobucket/whatever but with a random name? Or use a friend's? Because that's really all I can think of...

NewClassic_v1legacy

Bringer of Words
Jul 30, 2008
Ajna said:
Probably will enter.

What's your suggestion with how to link images, assuming we don't want to use stock photos?

Make a brand new photobucket/whatever but with a random name? Or use a friend's? Because that's really all I can think of...
Last year, I encouraged folks to use imageshack, which can upload images without tying it to a specific username. I believe that since that's happened, they have them now. I'm not quite sure.

Doing a quick search produced a top eight list that includes Imageshack [http://imageshack.us/], Imgur [http://imgur.com/], Photobucket [http://photobucket.com/], TinyPic [http://tinypic.com/], and iimmgg [http://www.iimmgg.com/]. I've only used two of these personally, but they're options if you're really worried about the image thing.

EDIT - Or pull screenshots from online. That works too.

Zombie_Fish

Opiner of Mottos
Mar 20, 2009
NewClassic said:
Last year, I encouraged folks to use imageshack, which can upload images without tying it to a specific username. I believe that since that's happened, they have them now. I'm not quite sure.
Ajna said:
Probably will enter.

Imageshack offers accounts as an option, not as something you need to be able to upload stuff.

Anyway, I doubt I'll be entering this time. Whilst it looks fun, writing a review is hard enough for me, let alone trying to do it in a film noir style. Best of luck to everyone taking part nonetheless; I will try and get round to reading the actual reviews even if I'm not entering myself.

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
Kasurami said:
I'm so in for this.

Now I just need to check the formatting over and over so all my apostrophes don't get replaced with question marks like last time. Damn Microsoft Word. And my laziness.
Disable smart quotes on Word, that stops that sort of thing from happening.

Anyways as you know Nuke I'm totally down for this

mParadox

Susurration
Sep 19, 2010
Country
Germany
I am so in. Already got a framework made up. Sign me up!

Sadly I can't. Too many things going on for me to focus on this. Sorry. =/

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Oh, man. I want to participate! But we have so many great user reviewers here. It's intimidating.

Should be fun, though. *channels his inner Humphrey Bogart*

Toriver

Lvl 20 Hedgehog Wizard
Jan 25, 2010
I haven't written a review in almost 6 months (had been working on another installment of my series, but interest waned...), but maybe I'll conjure something up. Should be a challenge for me - my reviews tend to be on the long end of things.

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
Count me in. I know that I'm totally late to the party, but I'll see what I can cook up.

NewClassic_v1legacy

Bringer of Words
Jul 30, 2008
Okay, here's the deal. I got three entries before the deadline.

Three.

So, instead of having a final round right off the bat, I'm going to extend the deadline two weeks, and hope for the best. I know two weeks isn't a long time to write a review, but any more I think the current players will get antsy. So, without further ado, I present to you, our lovely audience, the new deadline. June 25th, 23:59 (11:59 PM) GMT.

C'mon guys. Let's at least double the number of entries. I'm shooting for a whole six...

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
I'm in now. The old deadline was right during my finals, so I'll be sure to make this one without a doubt. Good luck everyone!

Also, Tweeted to get the word spread. And because I like tweeting.

Actually I just like saying tweeting.