Review: Back to the Future: The Game

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
I think I have to give this a try. Whenever I see any Back to the Future movie on, I can't not watch it.

Marsell

Nov 20, 2008
they had Christopher Lloyd as doc.
Now I don't have to release a deadly neurotoxin.

PhunkyPhazon

Dec 23, 2009
I quite disagree with this. I'm not going to write a mini-review here or anything, but I felt this was a solid first episode in what looks to be a pretty good five-part series. And I thought they nailed the feel of BttF quite well.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Thorvan said:
Off topic, but still related; why is The Escapist never on Metacritic?
Pretty sure it is (see: here [http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/bejeweled-3/critic-reviews], amongst the 80s.)

pacati

Oct 4, 2010
<--- would like to second Steve Butts' suggestion for a Breakfast Club game. What would the objectives be? Escape? Kill the Bull-With-The-Horns-Guy? Nail Princess? Set the library on fire and blame it on Judd's character?

So intriguing...

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
Wait wait wait... This game is less funny than their Monkey Island or Strong Bad? How is that even possible? :(

pacati

Oct 4, 2010
You know, along those lines, I'd pay real money for a game based on Ferris Beuller's Day Off.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Can I ask what rating this game is? Because I'm certain it'll have that famous line in it.

I'm surprised that when they re-released the first movie in the UK for the 25th anniversary it was rated PG. They swear up a storm.

Iscin

Schism Navigator
Sep 8, 2009
Well, this is officially the worst review I've seen on The Escapist.

Reason: The reviewer was not paying attention to the game at all. He even said "Marty doesn't get to play his guitar" which... he DOES! Seriously, I'm gonna bet the reviewer went into this game expecting to dislike it so he didn't even pay attention to it.

goddz001

Aug 5, 2009
i was looking forward to playing this at the end of the year but it only came out on PC and i cant play games on my PC anymore. so i have to wait, and even after this review i still wanna buy it cos i knew it would be rubbish already, i just wanted to see how they were planning to try and continue the series :')

leviadragon99

Jun 17, 2010
As a fan of the movies I can say I'm actually a little insulted by this game... it's milking an unneccessary sequel out of a self-contained trilogy and not doing it particularly well.

Solidplasma

Statistical Improbability
Aug 5, 2009
Iscin said:

Reason: The reviewer was not paying attention to the game at all. He even said "Marty doesn't get to play his guitar" which... he DOES! Seriously, I'm gonna bet the reviewer went into this game expecting to dislike it so he didn't even pay attention to it.
I know, right? And, as was said earlier, Doc was arrested for Arson. Mr. Butts, I'm going to have to disagree with this review entirely. You seem to have disliked everything that most people would agree was good about the game (its loyalty to the movies, its genuinely good sense of humor) and liked everything that would normally be found bad (the crazy "click this now!" rocket fuel minigame). As for gameplay, it's a freakin' adventure game by Telltale. It's about story and humor, and the occasional puzzle. I find it hard to believe you're a real BTTF fan, considering how many references you missed. Did you even try all the dialogue options? Anyway, this may just be my opinion, but seeing as you got facts wrong in your review, I personally must recommend this game to any real Back to the Future fan.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
KeyMaster45 said:
Still, it's only the first episode and TellTale has a good track record of finding their footing in the second installment of a season so I wouldn't consider this a pitiful failed attempt by Sony licensing to squeeze some more money out of the franchise after 25 years, yet.
I really don't know what Sony has to do with Back to the Future, unless I'm missing something. (Universal studios is related to Sony perhaps?)

Anyway, that aside, this game was alright, but a little on the short side, and quite easy.

There were a few interesting moments, and a few which were indeed decidedly bland.

It's clever, in it's own way, but unsurprisingly doesn't hold up that well compared to the films.

But then, I really like Back to the Future.

In any event, it may not be brilliant, but it's still orders of magnitude better than any previous back to the future game.

Iscin

Schism Navigator
Sep 8, 2009
Solidplasma said:
Iscin said:

I know, right? And, as was said earlier, Doc was arrested for Arson. Mr. Butts, I'm going to have to disagree with this review entirely. You seem to have disliked everything that most people would agree was good about the game (its loyalty to the movies, its genuinely good sense of humor) and liked everything that would normally be found bad (the crazy "click this now!" rocket fuel minigame). As for gameplay, it's a freakin' adventure game by Telltale. It's about story and humor, and the occasional puzzle. I find it hard to believe you're a real BTTF fan, considering how many references you missed. Did you even try all the dialogue options? Anyway, this may just be my opinion, but seeing as you got facts wrong in your review, I personally must recommend this game to any real Back to the Future fan.
I agree in return :)

I will also add that Metacritic has shown that the majority of folks RECOMMEND this game. Moreover, this is only one fifth of the full experience since there are five episodes. ANY review of buying this product from the first episode is more of a "preview" of the full thing anyway.

Having said that this game EPISODE certainly was not perfect and I found the puzzles a little too easy. However that is likely to account for new gamers who will play this because they love the original trilogy.

If I was the one to review this episode I would give it the following bottom line...

Back To The Future Fans: Buy it right now.
Non-Back To The Future Fans: Wait for at least two more episodes and then we'll talk.
Non-Back To The Future Fans who are Telltale Fans: Buy it right now.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
I'll say it again: the guy making Marty's voice sounds more like Marty than Michael J. Fox. I don't know how it's possible but that's the way it is.

I hope Telltale isn't slacking off. They've done a lot for the revival of the adventure genre but there's more to it than just bringing it back to where they stopped selling because people figured out they were just stories with hindrances.

Anyway the time-traveling episode of Sam & Max is one of my favourites and the next episodes' previews are really freaky so I'm still optmistic. I wonder if the Universal licence will keep Telltale from doing the super cheap packs they're known for doing.

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
uff... dodged a bullet, i was about to buy it but didnt because of all the pressents and stuff, i LOVE BTTF, but i dont want to play it if it misses the "feeling" which apparently is missing

BUT, if they improove over the next episodes, i will get the whole set.