Review: Backbreaker

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
Looks great, I loved the later iterations of madden that allowed you to play as a single player, and HB was my favorite position. This looks like the perfect kind of setup for the madden I truly enjoyed.

nolongerhere

Winter is coming.
Nov 19, 2008
John Funk said:
The Cheezy One said:
rugby for the fragile :)
looks good, but not my thing. ill give it a miss
See, everyone says that, but football tackles always look WAY rougher to me. There's a lot more "dragging down" in Rugby that I see, and not as much plowing into the guy from the side.
Yeah, American football is more dangerous, as having armour means they hit each other stupidly hard. The added safety means you take more risks.

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
John Funk said:
The Cheezy One said:
rugby for the fragile :)
looks good, but not my thing. ill give it a miss
See, everyone says that, but football tackles always look WAY rougher to me. There's a lot more "dragging down" in Rugby that I see, and not as much plowing into the guy from the side.
i get that actually, but im not sure whether thats just cause and effect. they CAN smash into someone, so they do. however, those helmets must put more pressure on the players neck, so it could be more dangerous
one thing about rugby, not sure about american football, but they obey the rules. if you foul someone in soccer, they break a leg. foul someone badly in rugby, you can kill them.

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
I must also add in that the video made me think of QWOP for some reason. I am not sure if it is the way the guy fell or the sideways view, just seemed very QWOP-like.

QWOP (In case of those interested)

http://www.foddy.net/Athletics.html

Video

Dragon_of_red

Dec 30, 2008
<quote=John Funk>sense of intensity and urgency o the sport that most games lack.

Heh, O

I would maybe tihnk about playing buying this game, but I dont like Madden or American Football... my brother might like it though...

Nerdfury

I Can Afford Ten Whole Bucks!
Feb 2, 2008
This is where I point out that Australians play the same game, only rougher, and without padding. And with actual kicking.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Nerdfury said:
This is where I point out that Australians play the same game, only rougher, and without padding. And with actual kicking.
If you're talking about rugby, no. If you're talking about Australian Rules, also no. :)

See, the armor means that people hit a *lot* harder. And you have 30 pounds of extra mass barreling into you.

Nerdfury

I Can Afford Ten Whole Bucks!
Feb 2, 2008
John Funk said:
Nerdfury said:
If you're talking about rugby, no. If you're talking about Australian Rules, also no. :)

See, the armor means that people hit a *lot* harder. And you have 30 pounds of extra mass barreling into you.
As an Australian, I stand uncorrected! We're hardcore.

ShadowTundra

Mar 28, 2010
I still think Madden is a bit too standard with Backbreaker bringing more thrills that seem like a real "Back Breaker"

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Chipperz said:
Out of interest, what do you mean by 'for Europeans'? I'd really like to get into a decent American Handball game to bring back the glory of Blood Bowl when I used to play that,
Tried the Cyanide game? The newest version should be out at the end of this year with an extra 12 races. I'd definately stick to the PC version though, even if the interface and loading times are horrible in places.

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
I played the demo and if they just fixed up the passing a bit then I would buy it and probably make a team of ninjas or something. But think about the possibilites!

Sure they don't have the NFL license but give people the option of creating and downloading custom made teams online and that problem will be solved in a week. Make the soundtrack not quite so repetitive and a stamina/injury system and it would be, imo, far superior to Madden.

The thing that makes this a big question mark for me is the passing system from the demo. It does feel like a quarter back but I would suggest using the stick to control the camera of where the QB is looking and mapping the receivers to all the buttons like Madden does because although I applaud the attempt to be different, it's inferior.

But like the review both said and showed and also from my impression of the demo... The running games and playing defense are a blast. (I've always loved playing defense more anyway...)

Flying Dagger

Apr 14, 2009
Deofuta said:
I must also add in that the video made me think of QWOP for some reason. I am not sure if it is the way the guy fell or the sideways view, just seemed very QWOP-like.

QWOP (In case of those interested)

http://www.foddy.net/Athletics.html
Urgh I just tried that and it's really hard to start out... I've managed to fall 1.6m so far...

OT: This sort of angle fits well with American Football, and makes me interested in the sport as I otherwise wouldn't be... If I had the console appropriate I may well have given it a try...

I'll have to wait til they try and do something like this with a Rugby License, then I might even have to pick up a console.

Though, who wants to take bets on EA releasing their next expansion "Now with an all new camera angle"?

crotalidian

and Now My Watch Begins
Sep 8, 2009
John Funk said:
Review: Backbreaker

This rookie shows promise, but has a long way to go before it's a star.

Read Full Article
I hear that there is a new patch which fixes a lot of the issues in this game. any chance we could get a followup review of this?