Review: Batman: Arkham Asylum

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
20,364
0
0
Review: Batman: Arkham Asylum

Holy Game-of-the-Year contender, Batman!

Read Full Article
 

The Great JT

New member
Oct 6, 2008
3,721
0
0
Scarecrow was probably my favorite villain in the Batman mythos, and it's great to see him get fair treatment in Arkham Asylum.

Oh and let's not forget Harley Quinn.
 

Abedeus

New member
Sep 14, 2008
7,412
0
0
God darn it, stop posting about Batman!! I still have two weeks till PC release :/
 

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
20,364
0
0
they should changed the line to batman has to delve into the deapths of the asylum to breka some faces to help facilitate the healting process!
 

Torque669

New member
Apr 21, 2009
1,204
0
0
The Great JT said:
Scarecrow was probably my favorite villain in the Batman mythos, and it's great to see him get fair treatment in Arkham Asylum.

Oh and let's not forget Harley Quinn.
Agreed. My auntie said she used to read all the comics and she didnt even know who Scarecrow was and his moments in the game were incredible to say the least and his ending made me laugh my arse off for about half an hour.

Abedeus said:
God darn it, stop posting about Batman!! I still have two weeks till PC release :/
And we'll keep posting it because its so good !

This is seriously my favourite game this year and at the moment is third in my all time favourite games behind TimeSplitters 3 and Oblivion.

The stealth was so well done that Masters and Beginners alike could do it incredibly well. And I loved the Inverted Takedown. Fantastic gameplay and Storyline. What more could you ask for really?
 

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
1,976
0
0
Really good review, I'm finding it hard to avoid this game, I really want to play it but I can't spare the money at the moment and it could be a while before my friends at the rental company send it to me.
 

Asehujiko

New member
Feb 25, 2008
2,119
0
0
Torque669 said:
The Great JT said:
Scarecrow was probably my favorite villain in the Batman mythos, and it's great to see him get fair treatment in Arkham Asylum.

Oh and let's not forget Harley Quinn.
Agreed. My auntie said she used to read all the comics and she didnt even know who Scarecrow was and his moments in the game were incredible to say the least and his ending made me laugh my arse off for about half an hour.

Abedeus said:
God darn it, stop posting about Batman!! I still have two weeks till PC release :/
And we'll keep posting it because its so good !

This is seriously my favourite game this year and at the moment is third in my all time favourite games behind TimeSplitters 3 and Oblivion.

The stealth was so well done that Masters and Beginners alike could do it incredibly well. And I loved the Inverted Takedown. Fantastic gameplay and Storyline. What more could you ask for really?
Not having it delayed for something that the demo shows us is A FUCKING LIE? The only "physics" in the entire game is the ragdoll after you get shot and the graphics look like either 2006 or direct copy pasta from a console.
 

Torque669

New member
Apr 21, 2009
1,204
0
0
Asehujiko said:
Torque669 said:
The Great JT said:
Scarecrow was probably my favorite villain in the Batman mythos, and it's great to see him get fair treatment in Arkham Asylum.

Oh and let's not forget Harley Quinn.
Agreed. My auntie said she used to read all the comics and she didnt even know who Scarecrow was and his moments in the game were incredible to say the least and his ending made me laugh my arse off for about half an hour.

Abedeus said:
God darn it, stop posting about Batman!! I still have two weeks till PC release :/
And we'll keep posting it because its so good !

This is seriously my favourite game this year and at the moment is third in my all time favourite games behind TimeSplitters 3 and Oblivion.

The stealth was so well done that Masters and Beginners alike could do it incredibly well. And I loved the Inverted Takedown. Fantastic gameplay and Storyline. What more could you ask for really?
Not having it delayed for something that the demo shows us is A FUCKING LIE? The only "physics" in the entire game is the ragdoll after you get shot and the graphics look like either 2006 or direct copy pasta from a console.
Why whats it lying about?

Who cares about Physics about from Saints Row 2 and Red Faction Guerilla fanatics.

And the graphics look rather stellar on my 48 inch HD Telly. And maybe it is copy pasta from a console because it was designed for the console. Im still struggling to understand how the controls will work to be quite honest.
 

Catchy Slogan

New member
Jun 17, 2009
1,933
0
0
The bit at the end of the video just had me laughing so hard. Pure gold.

Also, saw my friend playing on this and at some parts you hear the enemies neck breaking, yet none of them die? Sure, I guess because It's Batman and all that he deosn't kill people, but paralysing them from the neck down is fine?

Awesome game anyway.

Batman is awesome.
 

SomeBritishDude

New member
Nov 1, 2007
5,081
0
0
God, all I'm hearing is praise for this game. Microsoft had better get that piece of shit 360 back to me quick.

Catchy Slogan said:
The bit at the end of the video just had me laughing so hard. Pure gold.

Also, saw my friend playing on this and at some parts you hear the enemies neck breaking, yet none of them die? Sure, I guess because It's Batman and all that he deosn't kill people, but paralysing them from the neck down is fine?

Awesome game anyway.

Batman is awesome.
Weirdly enough, yeah I think so. He doesn't kill, thats batman's ONLY rule, which seems a little unnerving.
 

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
20,364
0
0
Catchy Slogan said:
The bit at the end of the video just had me laughing so hard. Pure gold.

Also, saw my friend playing on this and at some parts you hear the enemies neck breaking, yet none of them die? Sure, I guess because It's Batman and all that he deosn't kill people, but paralysing them from the neck down is fine?

Awesome game anyway.

Batman is awesome.
The only breaking I ever heard was legs/arms.
 

Spucktier

New member
Jul 13, 2009
43
0
0
CantFaketheFunk said:
The only breaking I ever heard was legs/arms.
Same here.

A great review imho, it catches exactly what makes this game great. I love the atmosphere created by all the small details (audio logs, character biographies) and god, I began to shiver when I entered the morgue the first time. Amazing how well rocksteady put the psychological warfare into this game.
 

Catchy Slogan

New member
Jun 17, 2009
1,933
0
0
CantFaketheFunk said:
Catchy Slogan said:
The bit at the end of the video just had me laughing so hard. Pure gold.

Also, saw my friend playing on this and at some parts you hear the enemies neck breaking, yet none of them die? Sure, I guess because It's Batman and all that he deosn't kill people, but paralysing them from the neck down is fine?

Awesome game anyway.

Batman is awesome.
The only breaking I ever heard was legs/arms.
Spucktier said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
The only breaking I ever heard was legs/arms.
Same here.
Could have sworn I heard a rather loud snapping noise when he grabbed someones neck, but I guess I'm mistaken on that, considering It's now two against one, and those two actually own the game...
 

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
20,364
0
0
CantFaketheFunk said:
Review: Batman: Arkham Asylum

Holy Game-of-the-Year contender, Batman!

Read Full Article
Now I'm very tired so you'll have to forgive me for only watching the video part. I have to disagree with you Funk the stealth sections were probably the best part of the game, stealth has always been Batman's forte I always felt more natural and felt much more interesting than fighting. Of course I always tried never to been seen once (even though that was damn near impossible with the one in the sewer system when your trying to shut down the water pump) and my heart was bumping whenever I near got caught. But I guess that's just me.
 

Avatar Roku

New member
Jul 9, 2008
6,169
0
0
Darrkon Fearlock said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
Review: Batman: Arkham Asylum

Holy Game-of-the-Year contender, Batman!

Read Full Article
Now I'm very tired so you'll have to forgive me for only watching the video part. I have to disagree with you Funk the stealth sections were probably the best part of the game, stealth has always been Batman's forte I always felt more natural and felt much more interesting than fighting. Of course I always tried never to been seen once (even though that was damn near impossible with the one in the sewer system when your trying to shut down the water pump) and my heart was bumping whenever I near got caught. But I guess that's just me.
Both sections were masterful, but where the game really shined in my opinion was the way it seamlessly moved between genres, which is actually one of the reason Challenge Mode was a bit less than fun.
 

domicius

New member
Apr 2, 2008
212
0
0
I love this game. Bought in on release, and had to stop myself from playing at 3am. Great atmosphere, great story, great Joker...

I loves the bats out of it.
 

Kross

World Breaker
Sep 27, 2004
854
0
0
Catchy Slogan said:
Could have sworn I heard a rather loud snapping noise when he grabbed someones neck, but I guess I'm mistaken on that, considering It's now two against one, and those two actually own the game...
He breaks people's necks in the stealth moves, I've noticed in when playing quite a few times. It still usually says unconscious in detective mode though.

It's a great game all around, my main gripe is that detective mode is too handy, so it's too easy to miss all the beautiful art while walking around in detective mode all the time.
 

BigT65

New member
Jul 1, 2009
70
0
0
This game is really really good, and you actually feel like you're playing as batman when you're beating up bad guys and when you play all stealthy is the funnest part.
 

similar.squirrel

New member
Mar 28, 2009
6,021
0
0
I hate you, John Funk.
I was going to point of out the f*cking Batman thing to great hilarity, but you ruined it for me.

On Topic: The fact that I cannot by any stretch of the imagination picture the Escapist staff taking bribes from Eidos has cemented the harsh fact that I need to get this game.
 

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
6,732
0
0
The Escapist hasn't had Eidos Advertising on the site OR put out an advance review, which sorta kaiboshes any theories of bribery.
 
Mar 16, 2009
466
0
0
You say it like Batman wouldn't pay for dinner. He's a real classy gentleman, he may buy you the restaurant (curse people having said the thing I wanted to say before I said it).
I do agree, while playing through the incredibly helpful, blue filter of Detective Mode I caught myself thinking about how much of the visuals I was missing.
 

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
20,364
0
0
I agree, this game was terrific and a masterpiece, and I reccomend it as well.
 

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
20,364
0
0
Dammit Funk! You need to say "Batman" proudly! That last word in the video supplement was weak.

Other than that I am also impressed by the PC demo but part of me still thinks the melee combat was still overly simple. I had my forward and backward movement on my controller reversed(I couldn't fix it) and melee combat didn't require me to move at all.

The game does look great.
 

messy

New member
Dec 3, 2008
2,057
0
0
I loved this game however I personally hated the camera angle over batman shoulder and the only way to centre it was to run causing the cape to block out your view. Also detective mood I feel was a little too powerful, maybe include a time limit/meter to it. However that's a lot of nit-picking and didn't really ruin the game in any real way.
 

Wolcik

New member
Jul 18, 2009
321
0
0
It's nice to see what this game looks like before seeing Yahtzee rip it apart XD
 

Geo Da Sponge

New member
May 14, 2008
2,611
0
0
I've got the game and I love it. Excellent stealth gameplay and brilliant combat. When you hit someone in combat, it feels like a proper hit, especially in the slow motion shots. Getting a good combo is damn hard though.
 

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
20,364
0
0
Heart of Darkness said:
Uh, Funk...I hate to be "this" guy, but:
....a structurally week wall to blow up here...
But good review. If I had an Xbox, I'd consider getting this game.
Nothing. You saw nothing!

It's on PS3, too.
 

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
9,745
0
0
CantFaketheFunk said:
Heart of Darkness said:
Uh, Funk...I hate to be "this" guy, but:
....a structurally week wall to blow up here...
But good review. If I had an Xbox, I'd consider getting this game.
Nothing. You saw nothing!

It's on PS3, too.
Riiiiiight......"nothing."

I don't have a PS3, either. When I do finally get around to getting one of those consoles, it'll a be a 360.
And my Wii will patiently wait for the release of Pikmin 3...
 

Crops

Probably more bored than you
Aug 16, 2009
92
0
0
I haven't played through the entire game yet, but I guess some negative comments might be in place as well.

In short, the game is pretty linear and you're forced to play each area in a preset way.

An example was a spoiler-free boss fight where I figured I'd beat it by spraying explosive gel on the floor and detonating it whenever the boss got near to stun it shortly for a melee combo. My way worked somewhat, but it took really really long to deal a lot of damage. Later I found that the boss would have been down in no time, had I used some well-timed batarangs instead.

Another example was when I was exploring, jumped off a cliff to see a sequence where B-man climbed back up again to make a point of nothing being down there, only to have to jump down the very same cliff later in the game, being unable to climb back up.

Finally, the level design feels a bit cramped, with similar brown-grey corridor->ventilation shaft areas connecting all the areas where the interesting bits happen, and forcefield walls where the game doesn't want you to go yet. But I guess you can't really expect anything different from the game's setting.

Beside those points, I'm enjoying myself quite a lot through this game. And all that was said in the review is still very true.
There's a lot of different stuff going on, keeping the game from falling into repetitiveness. Just when you start getting tired of beating baddies, there's a bit of exploration or detective work to be done, and the next baddies will show up just before that bit gets boring again.

Game of the year contender? Not in my book, but definately worth a playthrough, even if you're not that much into Batman.
 

Asehujiko

New member
Feb 25, 2008
2,119
0
0
Torque669 said:
Why whats it lying about?

Who cares about Physics about from Saints Row 2 and Red Faction Guerilla fanatics.

And the graphics look rather stellar on my 48 inch HD Telly. And maybe it is copy pasta from a console because it was designed for the console. Im still struggling to understand how the controls will work to be quite honest.
The PC version of the game was delayed for, according to them, to add in support for more detailed graphics and physics. The demo, which was released together with it's console counterparts was supposed to showcase those changes. Well, physics were non-existant to the point where throwing a batarang at an empty coffee mug does nothing and the graphics are more or less on par with the original Gears of War(the console version with the much lower rendering disstance and complete lack of AA and AF).

Despite looking like i'm running it on a PS2, the game has the outrageous demand of a GTX260 AND an 8800+ just for the physics demonstrating that almost nothing has been done when porting it to the PC, including basic things like remembering that it works best by running multiple processing threads on one GPU instead of offloading each to a different one like on a console.
 

Torque669

New member
Apr 21, 2009
1,204
0
0
Asehujiko said:
Torque669 said:
Why whats it lying about?

Who cares about Physics about from Saints Row 2 and Red Faction Guerilla fanatics.

And the graphics look rather stellar on my 48 inch HD Telly. And maybe it is copy pasta from a console because it was designed for the console. Im still struggling to understand how the controls will work to be quite honest.
The PC version of the game was delayed for, according to them, to add in support for more detailed graphics and physics. The demo, which was released together with it's console counterparts was supposed to showcase those changes. Well, physics were non-existant to the point where throwing a batarang at an empty coffee mug does nothing and the graphics are more or less on par with the original Gears of War(the console version with the much lower rendering disstance and complete lack of AA and AF).

Despite looking like i'm running it on a PS2, the game has the outrageous demand of a GTX260 AND an 8800+ just for the physics demonstrating that almost nothing has been done when porting it to the PC, including basic things like remembering that it works best by running multiple processing threads on one GPU instead of offloading each to a different one like on a console.
Ahh fair enough ... But thats probably because Eidos are console bummers like Valve are PC bummers. (God I sound like 5 year old critic).

But yes I see where your coming from but honestly the game is very good. I know it doesnt look very much like it but its very interesting with a good plot and good gameplay. I say forgive for its Insolences and let it rise Eidos up. They've never really had any great game so lets give them this one :p
 
Aug 30, 2009
305
0
0
nanananananananana BAT MAN! lol. nice review too bad you didn't get the ps3 version so you could play as the joker =). but still good review
 
Aug 30, 2009
305
0
0
Heart of Darkness said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
Heart of Darkness said:
Uh, Funk...I hate to be "this" guy, but:
....a structurally week wall to blow up here...
But good review. If I had an Xbox, I'd consider getting this game.
Nothing. You saw nothing!

It's on PS3, too.
Riiiiiight......"nothing."

I don't have a PS3, either. When I do finally get around to getting one of those consoles, it'll a be a 360.
And my Wii will patiently wait for the release of Pikmin 3...
xbox 360 has always been better than ps3
 

wrecker77

New member
May 31, 2008
1,907
0
0
I just ahve one question.... Is the game hard? I played the demo and never died once. Hell, I never eaven got hurt once. Is this the entire game? Anybody know?

Also, Can you continue playing after the story?
 

nYuknYuknYuk

New member
Jul 12, 2009
505
0
0
wrecker77 said:
I just ahve one question.... Is the game hard? I played the demo and never died once. Hell, I never eaven got hurt once. Is this the entire game? Anybody know?

Also, Can you continue playing after the story?
The hard difficulty is a little challenging. And yes, you can.
 

wrecker77

New member
May 31, 2008
1,907
0
0
ianrocks6495 said:
wrecker77 said:
I just ahve one question.... Is the game hard? I played the demo and never died once. Hell, I never eaven got hurt once. Is this the entire game? Anybody know?

Also, Can you continue playing after the story?
The hard difficulty is a little challenging. And yes, you can.
Can you do anything else other than collect riddler trohpys.

Also, you can spoil anything about mr. Zsasz. I played the demo thinking "Time to kick ass! Have a glide kick! Oh....I geuss I win...."

Do you fight him again? Seemed kind of lame how he took a kick to the back and got knocked out. Just tell me If I get to Fight him again.
 

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
20,364
0
0
wrecker77 said:
ianrocks6495 said:
wrecker77 said:
I just ahve one question.... Is the game hard? I played the demo and never died once. Hell, I never eaven got hurt once. Is this the entire game? Anybody know?

Also, Can you continue playing after the story?
The hard difficulty is a little challenging. And yes, you can.
Can you do anything else other than collect riddler trohpys.

Also, you can spoil anything about mr. Zsasz. I played the demo thinking "Time to kick ass! Have a glide kick! Oh....I geuss I win...."

Do you fight him again? Seemed kind of lame how he took a kick to the back and got knocked out. Just tell me If I get to Fight him again.
Yep. You do.
 

wrecker77

New member
May 31, 2008
1,907
0
0
CantFaketheFunk said:
wrecker77 said:
ianrocks6495 said:
wrecker77 said:
I just ahve one question.... Is the game hard? I played the demo and never died once. Hell, I never eaven got hurt once. Is this the entire game? Anybody know?

Also, Can you continue playing after the story?
The hard difficulty is a little challenging. And yes, you can.
Can you do anything else other than collect riddler trohpys.

Also, you can spoil anything about mr. Zsasz. I played the demo thinking "Time to kick ass! Have a glide kick! Oh....I geuss I win...."

Do you fight him again? Seemed kind of lame how he took a kick to the back and got knocked out. Just tell me If I get to Fight him again.
Yep. You do.
What about the endgame? Can you do anything after the game, other than riddler tropheys. I know you can get paitent interviews and stuff. Not collectables, like can you do side quests or time trials? Stuff like That.
 

nYuknYuknYuk

New member
Jul 12, 2009
505
0
0
wrecker77 said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
wrecker77 said:
ianrocks6495 said:
wrecker77 said:
I just ahve one question.... Is the game hard? I played the demo and never died once. Hell, I never eaven got hurt once. Is this the entire game? Anybody know?

Also, Can you continue playing after the story?
The hard difficulty is a little challenging. And yes, you can.
Can you do anything else other than collect riddler trohpys.

Also, you can spoil anything about mr. Zsasz. I played the demo thinking "Time to kick ass! Have a glide kick! Oh....I geuss I win...."

Do you fight him again? Seemed kind of lame how he took a kick to the back and got knocked out. Just tell me If I get to Fight him again.
Yep. You do.
What about the endgame? Can you do anything after the game, other than riddler tropheys. I know you can get paitent interviews and stuff. Not collectables, like can you do side quests or time trials? Stuff like That.
Err, no. But there is a challenge mode which is like a time trial. BTW, your second fight with Zsasz is equally lame.
 

wrecker77

New member
May 31, 2008
1,907
0
0
ianrocks6495 said:
wrecker77 said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
wrecker77 said:
ianrocks6495 said:
wrecker77 said:
I just ahve one question.... Is the game hard? I played the demo and never died once. Hell, I never eaven got hurt once. Is this the entire game? Anybody know?

Also, Can you continue playing after the story?
The hard difficulty is a little challenging. And yes, you can.
Can you do anything else other than collect riddler trohpys.

Also, you can spoil anything about mr. Zsasz. I played the demo thinking "Time to kick ass! Have a glide kick! Oh....I geuss I win...."

Do you fight him again? Seemed kind of lame how he took a kick to the back and got knocked out. Just tell me If I get to Fight him again.
Yep. You do.
Shit. First some dude on youtube bilding up my hopes by saying You get to beat up penguin and now this. Meh. I'l still probubly get it. The demo had a blocked off menue that said dlc. Mabye we get to go out of arkahm and into gotham for a new story. Or mabye is challenge rooms. And it probubly will be challenge rooms becaause devs somehow think theat evereyone cares about them. We want More story dammit.


And the second fight is lame? Why are we fighting this little shit again? If I fight him, I want to hurt him, not just knock him off his ass and put him back in a cell.

What about the endgame? Can you do anything after the game, other than riddler tropheys. I know you can get paitent interviews and stuff. Not collectables, like can you do side quests or time trials? Stuff like That.
Err, no. But there is a challenge mode which is like a time trial. BTW, your second fight with Zsasz is equally lame.
 

annoyinglizardvoice

New member
Apr 29, 2009
1,024
0
0
Out of curiosity, which villans are actually in the game?
I know that Joker, Harley, Croc, Ivy, Scarecrow, Bane and Zsasz are in it, but is there anyone else?
 

Whoolpurse

New member
Jul 14, 2008
413
0
0
annoyinglizardvoice said:
Out of curiosity, which villans are actually in the game?
I know that Joker, Harley, Croc, Ivy, Scarecrow, Bane and Zsasz are in it, but is there anyone else?
Scarecrow, Riddler. Then you can find a lot of references. I'm sure there's more, i'm just tired
 

Kuchinawa212

New member
Apr 23, 2009
5,408
0
0
Alright that cuts it, I'm going to get this game XD
I loved the demo I played it like 15 times

Whoops sorry for the double post
 

jthm

New member
Jun 28, 2008
825
0
0
SomeBritishDude said:
God, all I'm hearing is praise for this game. Microsoft had better get that piece of shit 360 back to me quick.

Catchy Slogan said:
The bit at the end of the video just had me laughing so hard. Pure gold.

Also, saw my friend playing on this and at some parts you hear the enemies neck breaking, yet none of them die? Sure, I guess because It's Batman and all that he deosn't kill people, but paralysing them from the neck down is fine?

Awesome game anyway.

Batman is awesome.
Weirdly enough, yeah I think so. He doesn't kill, thats batman's ONLY rule, which seems a little unnerving.
He won't use guns either, under any circumstance (with only two notable exceptions, killing vampires or werewolves or some shit with a silver bullet early in the Detective Comic Days and attempting to kill Dark Sied recently).

I felt the music in the game was a little lackluster given the excellent score composed by Danny Elfman for the 90s movie and cartoon. Otherwise, the game was great.
 

jthm

New member
Jun 28, 2008
825
0
0
Torque669 said:
Asehujiko said:
Torque669 said:
Why whats it lying about?

Who cares about Physics about from Saints Row 2 and Red Faction Guerilla fanatics.

And the graphics look rather stellar on my 48 inch HD Telly. And maybe it is copy pasta from a console because it was designed for the console. Im still struggling to understand how the controls will work to be quite honest.
The PC version of the game was delayed for, according to them, to add in support for more detailed graphics and physics. The demo, which was released together with it's console counterparts was supposed to showcase those changes. Well, physics were non-existant to the point where throwing a batarang at an empty coffee mug does nothing and the graphics are more or less on par with the original Gears of War(the console version with the much lower rendering disstance and complete lack of AA and AF).

Despite looking like i'm running it on a PS2, the game has the outrageous demand of a GTX260 AND an 8800+ just for the physics demonstrating that almost nothing has been done when porting it to the PC, including basic things like remembering that it works best by running multiple processing threads on one GPU instead of offloading each to a different one like on a console.
Ahh fair enough ... But thats probably because Eidos are console bummers like Valve are PC bummers. (God I sound like 5 year old critic).

But yes I see where your coming from but honestly the game is very good. I know it doesnt look very much like it but its very interesting with a good plot and good gameplay. I say forgive for its Insolences and let it rise Eidos up. They've never really had any great game so lets give them this one :p
I'm glad someone else thought that Eidos has never had a great game before now and that they were due.

Every time I get a game, I always look for their name to make sure I'm not buying an Eidos game. This time, I almost cancelled my preorder, but decided to risk it.
 

scarab7

New member
Jun 20, 2009
313
0
0
Ok, I have yet to get the game and intended to get the game despite whatever the verdict by John Funk or the Escapist. The review only makes me want to get the game faster.

Anyways, I have one question I'd like to know before I get the game and one question alone, "Is Victor Freeze in the game?" I'd love a simple yes or no.
 

Fuloqwam

New member
Jul 29, 2009
117
0
0
So, so, sooooo relieved. I was waiting for it, but was afraid it was going to be a generic beat-em-up.
 

Samurai Goomba

New member
Oct 7, 2008
3,679
0
0
This game looks a lot like Splinter Cell: Double Agent (or Chaos Theory, but DA is grittier) for the original Xbox. Eh, I still say the best superhero game is The Punisher.
 

Citrus

New member
Apr 25, 2008
1,421
0
0
wrecker77 said:
ianrocks6495 said:
wrecker77 said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
wrecker77 said:
ianrocks6495 said:
wrecker77 said:
I just ahve one question.... Is the game hard? I played the demo and never died once. Hell, I never eaven got hurt once. Is this the entire game? Anybody know?

Also, Can you continue playing after the story?
The hard difficulty is a little challenging. And yes, you can.
Can you do anything else other than collect riddler trohpys.

Also, you can spoil anything about mr. Zsasz. I played the demo thinking "Time to kick ass! Have a glide kick! Oh....I geuss I win...."

Do you fight him again? Seemed kind of lame how he took a kick to the back and got knocked out. Just tell me If I get to Fight him again.
Yep. You do.
Shit. First some dude on youtube bilding up my hopes by saying You get to beat up penguin and now this. Meh. I'l still probubly get it. The demo had a blocked off menue that said dlc. Mabye we get to go out of arkahm and into gotham for a new story. Or mabye is challenge rooms. And it probubly will be challenge rooms becaause devs somehow think theat evereyone cares about them. We want More story dammit.


And the second fight is lame? Why are we fighting this little shit again? If I fight him, I want to hurt him, not just knock him off his ass and put him back in a cell.

What about the endgame? Can you do anything after the game, other than riddler tropheys. I know you can get paitent interviews and stuff. Not collectables, like can you do side quests or time trials? Stuff like That.
Err, no. But there is a challenge mode which is like a time trial. BTW, your second fight with Zsasz is equally lame.
No, the second Zsasz enounter is awesome and suspenseful. And he's a skinny little guy; it wouldn't make sense if he could take dozens of punches from the goddamn Batman.
 

Semitendon

New member
Aug 4, 2009
359
0
0
annoyinglizardvoice said:
Out of curiosity, which villans are actually in the game?
I know that Joker, Harley, Croc, Ivy, Scarecrow, Bane and Zsasz are in it, but is there anyone else?
The character profiles contain information on numerous villans.
But, as to those who "appear" in the game, the list is as follows:

Joker
Scarecrow
Zasaz
Killer Croc
Harley Quinn
Bane
Poison Ivy
Clayface
Scarface ( no Ventriloquist)

Voices heard:
Riddler
The Creeper

Sadly, of these villans, you only physically fight:
Poison Ivy
Bane
Zasaz
Joker

The rest of the villans are either challenges ( in which, you don't actually actively fight the villan) cutscenes, or merely make an appearance.

Maybe the next Batman game will make better use of the villans and bossfights.
( by no means, do I imply that it is a bad game, it's actually quite good, but they did not make the most of the famous Batman villans)
 

Gyrefalcon

New member
Jun 9, 2009
800
0
0
The Great JT said:
Scarecrow was probably my favorite villain in the Batman mythos, and it's great to see him get fair treatment in Arkham Asylum.

Oh and let's not forget Harley Quinn.
As happy as I am to see some of the female villains are in it (which was completely omitted in one early review I read), I would have liked to see them in their more traditional costumes. As a female gamer I'd prefer seeing more butt-kicking and a lot less cheesecake. A harlequin costume and a school girl one are not in the same ball park. For me it jars me out of the game play just as a plot hole in a movie will jar you out of your suspension of disbelief.

Batman looks good though, and having Mark Hamill voicing the Joker is awesome. Better, is that it isn't just a couple of tired lines repeated over and over, but rather a running monologue that can be quite chilling. He's ALWAYS done a great job as the Joker!
 

Mariena

New member
Sep 25, 2008
930
0
0
I just think it's so funny that batman is always so manly, while the enemies finally use their brains for once and get a freaking rifle to deal with him.

Speaking of which, just shoot that damn Joker. Like, bam. No more insane asylum takeovers!

I guess I don't understand DC / Marvel comics and such.
 

EvilMaggot

New member
Sep 18, 2008
1,430
0
0
Abedeus said:
God darn it, stop posting about Batman!! I still have two weeks till PC release :/
me2 :/ abit pissed off they delayed it alittle...but hey.. maybe no bugs then ;D
 

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
20,364
0
0
It is truly a stunning and well made game. Definately the best one I have played this year by a long shot. Mark Hamill especially made me laugh a lot. His lines after you die were the best.
 

timmytom1

New member
Feb 26, 2009
2,136
0
0
wrecker77 said:
ianrocks6495 said:
wrecker77 said:
I just ahve one question.... Is the game hard? I played the demo and never died once. Hell, I never eaven got hurt once. Is this the entire game? Anybody know?

Also, Can you continue playing after the story?
The hard difficulty is a little challenging. And yes, you can.
Can you do anything else other than collect riddler trohpys.

Also, you can spoil anything about mr. Zsasz. I played the demo thinking "Time to kick ass! Have a glide kick! Oh....I geuss I win...."

Do you fight him again? Seemed kind of lame how he took a kick to the back and got knocked out. Just tell me If I get to Fight him again.
Not really he crops up in the challenge modes but he`s like the other enemies in that ,though he does appear a second time in the main story though that time you have to batmarang him in the face before he kills someone
 

Cairo

New member
Mar 11, 2009
157
0
0
I wanted to point this out, but couldn't find anywhere better to put it: in the escapist Batman quiz, one of the questions asks about something added to the Batsuit in Batman Forever. It was added in Batman and Robin.
 

Marowit

New member
Nov 7, 2006
1,271
0
0
Hands down one of the best games I've played - and probably the most fun action game I've played in...I can't remember how long.

I hope that more games continue with the combat mechanic. It's so simple, but with it being directional and choreographed so well it's so much fun at the same time.
 

The Youth Counselor

New member
Sep 20, 2008
1,004
0
0
Kross said:
Catchy Slogan said:
Could have sworn I heard a rather loud snapping noise when he grabbed someones neck, but I guess I'm mistaken on that, considering It's now two against one, and those two actually own the game...
He breaks people's necks in the stealth moves, I've noticed in when playing quite a few times. It still usually says unconscious in detective mode though.

It's a great game all around, my main gripe is that detective mode is too handy, so it's too easy to miss all the beautiful art while walking around in detective mode all the time.
Does it actually say that they're deceased in Detective Mode after you take them down with the stealth move? I think he might just be applying a sleeper hold. A pinch on the carotid artery with enough pressure can actually be very quick and sometimes instantaneously incapacitating.
 

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
20,364
0
0
I'm having entirely too much fun with the demo while waiting for the PC version. I keep trying different ways to do the last room in it where there are a few guys with guns and you're able to sneak around it on the gargoyles. Haven't yet done it without using the gargoyles, but that's probably what I'll try next. Either that or I'm going to see if I can get the guys scared enough that they'll shoot each other by mistake.
 

Kross

World Breaker
Sep 27, 2004
854
0
0
The Youth Counselor said:
Kross said:
Catchy Slogan said:
Could have sworn I heard a rather loud snapping noise when he grabbed someones neck, but I guess I'm mistaken on that, considering It's now two against one, and those two actually own the game...
He breaks people's necks in the stealth moves, I've noticed in when playing quite a few times. It still usually says unconscious in detective mode though.

It's a great game all around, my main gripe is that detective mode is too handy, so it's too easy to miss all the beautiful art while walking around in detective mode all the time.
Does it actually say that they're deceased in Detective Mode after you take them down with the stealth move? I think he might just be applying a sleeper hold. A pinch on the carotid artery with enough pressure can actually be very quick and sometimes instantaneously incapacitating.
From what I could tell, it only says deceased on guards the enemies kill. The neck definitely makes a sharp *crack* sound in the stealth holds though. It's nothing important, but it's definitely there. ;)
 

sln333

New member
Jun 22, 2009
401
0
0
I pre-ordered the collectors edition and it was totally worth it. The extra stuff is great, and the game itself is amazing. It's one of those single player games with a reasonably short story that you could still sink weeks, if not months into. I haven't played anything else since I got it.
Nice comparison between the combat and a ballet =)
 

TsunamiWombat

New member
Sep 6, 2008
5,870
0
0
I clocked at about 17 and a half hours playing first time through on Normal, obsessively getting all the pickups. Thats not counting the hours more I spent on those challenge maps. The Challenge maps will LITERALLY challenge you, not just hitting you with impossible goals or trumped difficulty but forcing you to learn game mechanics you wouldn't have even used in the normal game. I had no idea you could string the battarang or the claw into combo's, or the leap n hit counted as a special move.

When you can beat those last extreme trials, you will definably be an expert.

PS: I think they were sleeper holds, I never saw any neck snapping. There was ALOT of cock-punches though. And groin tasering.
 

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
20,364
0
0
TsunamiWombat said:
PS: I think they were sleeper holds, I never saw any neck snapping. There was ALOT of cock-punches though. And groin tasering.
What did you expect? He's the god-damned Batman!
:)
 

The Youth Counselor

New member
Sep 20, 2008
1,004
0
0
Kross said:
The Youth Counselor said:
Kross said:
Catchy Slogan said:
Could have sworn I heard a rather loud snapping noise when he grabbed someones neck, but I guess I'm mistaken on that, considering It's now two against one, and those two actually own the game...
He breaks people's necks in the stealth moves, I've noticed in when playing quite a few times. It still usually says unconscious in detective mode though.

It's a great game all around, my main gripe is that detective mode is too handy, so it's too easy to miss all the beautiful art while walking around in detective mode all the time.
Does it actually say that they're deceased in Detective Mode after you take them down with the stealth move? I think he might just be applying a sleeper hold. A pinch on the carotid artery with enough pressure can actually be very quick and sometimes instantaneously incapacitating.
From what I could tell, it only says deceased on guards the enemies kill. The neck definitely makes a sharp *crack* sound in the stealth holds though. It's nothing important, but it's definitely there. ;)
I checked in detective mode, they're definitely still alive.

How some of the people survive is ludicrous though. An example that comes to mind is a patient who is hanging on for dear life on a rope and the nearest footing is at least two stories tall. You need to cut him down, wherein he will fall through a concrete ceiling into a room full of Joker toxin. Yet when you reach his ragdoll, it still says unconscious despite, the fall through both the ceiling and floor and breathing in all that toxin for an indefinite amount of time.

(It would have been more realistic for Batman to administer the anti-venom to him.)

And I will never know how someone is able to get up after being pierced by a bat claw, or having an explosion go off next to their head right after enough plastique is detonated to punch through concrete. But this is the DC Universe after all, so it's not too much of a stretch to believe that they could have superpowers of their own.

PS: I wanted to replay some parts so I go through the menu. WTF? There are limited save points and no chapter selections or cinematic play-list! That should be a feature in EVERY game!
 

Ranooth

BEHIND YOU!!
Mar 26, 2008
1,778
0
0
I must say it does look awesome, played the demo and loved every second of it. But what about length and replay value? Im moving into Uni around release so i really need to watch my money.
 

teknoarcanist

New member
Jun 9, 2008
916
0
0
The gargoyles drove me crazy ><
Show of hands. How many of you have seen stone gargoyles INSIDE of a building?
Hm?
Hm?
Yeah, I thought so.

It just seems like a heavy-handed way of going HAY YOU CAN GRAPPLE ONTO THIS. Because, yknow, the glowing orange dots going HAY YOU CAN GRAPPLE ONTO THIS and the voice of Kevin Conroy going HAY YOU CAN GRAPPLE ONTO THIS and the oracle telling you HAY BTW YOU SHOULD FIND SOMETHING GARGOYLE-SHAPED TO GRAPPLE ONTO MAYBE clearly are not enough clues to work off of.

The detective sense bothered me too. Remember your favorite episode of the Batman cartoon, wherein the caped crusader would be pitted against some deadly foe with a cryptic past, but it was okay because he had a pair of magic goggles that did everything for him?
Yeah, me too.

Also: the amount of time I was forced to spend in ventilation ducts is...dare I say it...BAT SHIT INSANE.

Ha. Ha ha.

Other than those few small things, though, the game was pretty brilliant.
 

Paraggio

New member
Apr 15, 2009
4
0
0
Only thing is the NPCs are a bit blind. Like something will happen literally right beside them and they won't notice. developers didn't take peripheral vision into account at all, but other than that the best game since devil may cry 3 and gears of war 2
 

new_age_reject

Lives in dactylic hexameter.
Dec 28, 2008
1,160
0
0
Sweet Jesus game of the year for me!
The Scarecrow sections are just so amazingly jizz worthy it's untrue!
 

Hammith

New member
Dec 26, 2008
45
0
0
I have a PC, and only a PC, so it should be known that I hate all of you that own this game until the 15th. Then I shall embrace you as brothers...after I beat the game...twice.
 

Vohn_exel

Residential Idiot
Oct 24, 2008
1,357
0
0
I just beat the game yesterday, I was taking my time with it because it's so freaking awsome!It got me watching the old cartoon again. Heck, I want to play it now. The atmosphere and everything is just so well done. It's short and the supervillain fights aren't exactly the most thrilling...however, they are all different, I never felt like I was doing the same thing again (except maybe for Bane.) I loved the Scarecrow bits the most, and he's not even my favorite villain. It's just an awsome, awsome game!
 

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
20,364
0
0
The_root_of_all_evil said:
The Great JT said:
matrix3509 said:
Mark Hamill is reprising his role as The Joker? I'm sold.
As is Kevin Conroy revisiting the role of Batman.
And Arleen Sorkin as Harley, puddin'.
I'm also glad they got smart and invested in the original voice cast instead of a bunch of sound-a-likes.

My only problems with this game are... a side from an incredible graphic upgrade; It's pretty much the same game we played back in the old "Game Cube" days...



mixed with a bit of Spider-man (come on "detective sense"?!).

The combat controls remind me of "Rise to Honor" and "Alias" except all your best moves DON'T hit air.

I CAN honestly say that the ONE major redeeming feature is the fact that you can play as the Joker!



Who is without a doubt, the BEST villain in DC history!
 

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
17,776
0
0
Finally got it yesterday and I'm about half way through.

This game is a fucking masterpiece.

Everything in it works so seamlessly well. The mechanics are flawless and every gameplay style just feels fun and fluid.

The crew are obviously huge fans of the mythology, the backstories and character bios are great..

The graphics, lighting and environments are utterly astounding. It looks better than Gears 2 for chrissakes. I've jumped off the high tower about 20 times now and it's still not getting old...

The combat is fun, the story is perfect...

We have a game to give MW2 a run for its money in the end of year polls...