Review: Batman: Arkham Asylum

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005

Holy Game-of-the-Year contender, Batman!

Read Full Article

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Scarecrow was probably my favorite villain in the Batman mythos, and it's great to see him get fair treatment in Arkham Asylum.

Oh and let's not forget Harley Quinn.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
God darn it, stop posting about Batman!! I still have two weeks till PC release :/

Torque669

Apr 21, 2009
The Great JT said:
Scarecrow was probably my favorite villain in the Batman mythos, and it's great to see him get fair treatment in Arkham Asylum.

Agreed. My auntie said she used to read all the comics and she didnt even know who Scarecrow was and his moments in the game were incredible to say the least and his ending made me laugh my arse off for about half an hour.

Abedeus said:
God darn it, stop posting about Batman!! I still have two weeks till PC release :/
And we'll keep posting it because its so good !

This is seriously my favourite game this year and at the moment is third in my all time favourite games behind TimeSplitters 3 and Oblivion.

The stealth was so well done that Masters and Beginners alike could do it incredibly well. And I loved the Inverted Takedown. Fantastic gameplay and Storyline. What more could you ask for really?

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
Really good review, I'm finding it hard to avoid this game, I really want to play it but I can't spare the money at the moment and it could be a while before my friends at the rental company send it to me.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
Torque669 said:
The Great JT said:

Agreed. My auntie said she used to read all the comics and she didnt even know who Scarecrow was and his moments in the game were incredible to say the least and his ending made me laugh my arse off for about half an hour.

Abedeus said:

This is seriously my favourite game this year and at the moment is third in my all time favourite games behind TimeSplitters 3 and Oblivion.

The stealth was so well done that Masters and Beginners alike could do it incredibly well. And I loved the Inverted Takedown. Fantastic gameplay and Storyline. What more could you ask for really?
Not having it delayed for something that the demo shows us is A FUCKING LIE? The only "physics" in the entire game is the ragdoll after you get shot and the graphics look like either 2006 or direct copy pasta from a console.

Torque669

Apr 21, 2009
Asehujiko said:
Torque669 said:
The Great JT said:

Abedeus said:

Not having it delayed for something that the demo shows us is A FUCKING LIE? The only "physics" in the entire game is the ragdoll after you get shot and the graphics look like either 2006 or direct copy pasta from a console.
Why whats it lying about?

Who cares about Physics about from Saints Row 2 and Red Faction Guerilla fanatics.

And the graphics look rather stellar on my 48 inch HD Telly. And maybe it is copy pasta from a console because it was designed for the console. Im still struggling to understand how the controls will work to be quite honest.

Catchy Slogan

Jun 17, 2009
The bit at the end of the video just had me laughing so hard. Pure gold.

Also, saw my friend playing on this and at some parts you hear the enemies neck breaking, yet none of them die? Sure, I guess because It's Batman and all that he deosn't kill people, but paralysing them from the neck down is fine?

Awesome game anyway.

Batman is awesome.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
God, all I'm hearing is praise for this game. Microsoft had better get that piece of shit 360 back to me quick.

Catchy Slogan said:

Also, saw my friend playing on this and at some parts you hear the enemies neck breaking, yet none of them die? Sure, I guess because It's Batman and all that he deosn't kill people, but paralysing them from the neck down is fine?

Awesome game anyway.

Batman is awesome.
Weirdly enough, yeah I think so. He doesn't kill, thats batman's ONLY rule, which seems a little unnerving.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Catchy Slogan said:

Awesome game anyway.

Batman is awesome.
The only breaking I ever heard was legs/arms.

Spucktier

Jul 13, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
Same here.

A great review imho, it catches exactly what makes this game great. I love the atmosphere created by all the small details (audio logs, character biographies) and god, I began to shiver when I entered the morgue the first time. Amazing how well rocksteady put the psychological warfare into this game.

Catchy Slogan

Jun 17, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
Catchy Slogan said:

Awesome game anyway.

Batman is awesome.
Spucktier said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
Same here.
Could have sworn I heard a rather loud snapping noise when he grabbed someones neck, but I guess I'm mistaken on that, considering It's now two against one, and those two actually own the game...

Jul 9, 2008
Darrkon Fearlock said:
CantFaketheFunk said:

Holy Game-of-the-Year contender, Batman!

Read Full Article
Now I'm very tired so you'll have to forgive me for only watching the video part. I have to disagree with you Funk the stealth sections were probably the best part of the game, stealth has always been Batman's forte I always felt more natural and felt much more interesting than fighting. Of course I always tried never to been seen once (even though that was damn near impossible with the one in the sewer system when your trying to shut down the water pump) and my heart was bumping whenever I near got caught. But I guess that's just me.
Both sections were masterful, but where the game really shined in my opinion was the way it seamlessly moved between genres, which is actually one of the reason Challenge Mode was a bit less than fun.