Review: Bionic Commando

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Review: Bionic Commando

Bionic Commando is grittier and grander than its NES roots, but not always better.

Read Full Article

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
I actually finished this two days ago (I play through most modern games incredibly fast). I'm surprised you didn't mention the incredibly cliche plot... twist, I guess I should call it.

I was actually kinda annoyed, because who waits years on end to enact the most convoluted plan for... whatever it was. Plus, you wpend the entire last game saving Super Joe's ass, and then he's a bad guy, 5 years later!?! Nu-uh. I think that sniper was the real Super Joe, and that the guy we took orders from was a clone, or something. I'm probably wrong, but until I am proven otherwise, I'll hold to that belief.

Also, I feel that I must mention the multiplayer. The reason for this is that I hate multiplayer in most games (even in something like Mario Kart, I'd rather play the single player then with people), but this game is so much bloody fun in the multiplayer, especially seeing the other play styles. You can always tell when someone really doesn't get the grapple mechanic or the physics (release the grapple before the peak of the swing, and you'll fly. Release it at the peak, and you'll flip in place, but you already knew that). They tend to use Sniper rifles really well and hide in tree's. Everyone else, well, are they flippers (release at peak of swing), flyers (release just before peak of swing), climbers (those who go straight up), pistol spammers (self-explanatory), weapon searchers (who run away from everything until they have a powerful weapon), armor whores (I'm a bit guilty of this), melee users (duh) or some combination of the these?

And yes, I find that these names have so far perfectly exemplified everyone playing the game's multiplayer.

I also must agree about the loading times, but, I can say that, even on harder settings, by the time you play them, you know exactly when to fight, and when to just swing past enemies, making these annoying load times from death almost non-existant.

If I sounded rude during this post (and I'm pretty sure I did), I apologize, as it was not my intention.

Edit: Did you use the code to make him look like he originally did? I did for about half the game, and even though it was awesome in the way sunglasses at night were awesome in the 80's, I felt I had to go back to the grungy look. It fit the tone of the game, and the voice they game Nathan, much better than his 80's look. On the other hand, I spammed the other unlockable, the prototype weapon, the special piston, as it owns much face. I killed Mechs with that thing on a regular basis. A pistol.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
I try not to mention specific plot details in a review beyond the basic premise. And I didn't really get a chance to try out multiplayer; this is just a review of the singleplayer game.

dnadns

Divine Ronin
Jan 20, 2009
Nicely done review!

I got BC last friday and swinged through it the first time on the weekend (it will rest now as InFamous just arrived).

Got to say that this is one of the very few games where I will be looking forward to getting the soundtrack. It's as stunning as the visuals (the theme at the greenhouse is just awesome).
Didn't get to play multiplayer, but on the other hand I think that it won't appeal to me as much.

But I have to side with the load screen complaint and add to that the positioning of savepoints. It is so infuriating if you are going after the collectibles, just to die a bit later and have to get them again.

To round it up, after the first story playthrough (it's not too long) I started the collectible/trophy hunting (yay, 2 to go) and approached this title like the original. As a arcade-style game where you can dig into mastering the controls and pull off some really neat looking moves. With that in mind, the game truly shines in my book.
But whatever you do, don't look at the story as it is not only predictable, but straight-forward stupid. Sorry for the harsh words, but the ending sucked really hard in my opinion and I hope that Grin may have a chance to follow up on that in the future.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
My only major problem with your reviews is how slowly you talk in the video supplement. It's like you're trying to get a decent average speed between you and Yahtzee.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Geo Da Sponge said:
My only major problem with your reviews is how slowly you talk in the video supplement. It's like you're trying to get a decent average speed between you and Yahtzee.
When I speak fast, I tend to slur the words. I'd rather speak more slowly and have people be able to understand what I'm saying ;)

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
Geo Da Sponge said:
When I speak fast, I tend to slur the words. I'd rather speak more slowly and have people be able to understand what I'm saying ;)
Fair enough.

Neosage

Elite Member
Nov 8, 2008
Geo Da Sponge said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
Geo Da Sponge said:
Fair enough.
I think you should try to put more expression and enthusiam in your voice though. It would really improve it :)

Nerdfury

I Can Afford Ten Whole Bucks!
Feb 2, 2008
Is it just me, or is pointing out Funk's voice in every review supplement actually kind of petty and mean? Pay them no mind, Funk - the important thing is what you're saying, not your voice. I find nothing wrong with it.

fedpayne

Sep 4, 2008
How can something be heavy enough to weigh him down in water, but not on land? Where he is able to jump and float through the sky with ease?

I think I'll just keep waiting for another good spider-man game.