Review: BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Gregorius said:
For the love of all that is (un)holy, pronounce it correctly! If they wanted you to call it "Blaze-Blue", they would have made the name "Blaze-Blue", but is it? IS IT?!

Seriously, though, once we get more copies of the limited edition of BlazBlue in, I'm going to get my friend to hold me a copy of it. I've been waiting for it forever and, being such the massive Guilty Gear fan that I am, want everything that comes with it. You know you're a fan of Sammy's / Arc System Works' games when you trade in your copy of Guilty Gear Accent Core just to get Guilty Gear Accent Core Plus... like I did some days ago. And I never looked back. Kliff and Justice are too good to pass up.
I'm just going by how the lady pronounces it in the special bonus video. And the japanese pronunciation works out to something like "Bray Brue," actually. Go figure.

Maur DL said:
Good review, I definitely want to try this game out, but man, Funk, you sound so absolutely bored in the video. Where's the enthusiasm?! :p

I'm - John - Funk. Please - Insert - Girder.

j/k
When I speak enthusiastically, I speak fast. I'd rather you all be able to understand what I'm saying :p

Demiath

Mar 12, 2009
Gregorius said:
For the love of all that is (un)holy, pronounce it correctly! If they wanted you to call it "Blaze-Blue", they would have made the name "Blaze-Blue", but is it? IS IT?!
Now, it's a bit hard to tell if you're being ironic but, just for the sake of clarity, the name of the game is pronounced "Blaze-Blue"; the game's title being just the most obvious of the game's many (hopefully intentional) Engrish-style misspellings.

For those who want independent verification of the pronounciation, check out 1UP.COM's written Quick Look [http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3175007].

Woe Is You

Jul 5, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
When I speak enthusiastically, I speak fast. I'd rather you all be able to understand what I'm saying :p
People understand Yahtzee, though. Do you mean you'd be speaking faster than him?

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Woe Is You said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
People understand Yahtzee, though. Do you mean you'd be speaking faster than him?
Yahtzee has mastered the art of speaking quickly *and* clearly. I have not.

kitsunema

Apr 16, 2009
i played the game on both 360 and ps3 the game plays great on both consoles and the charas are unique. though i still need to buy the game myself its fun to play i really like the extra content that comes with going though the stroy mode for each character

Feb 13, 2008
I got this game. And I have blisters on my D-pad thumb. It's that awesome.

I played Street Fighter 4, and it has NOTHING on Blazblue. Absolutely nothing.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
cursedseishi said:
I love this game. Me and a friend were both hyped about SF4, but once we got it and that initial hype wore off, we never really played it. Sure we had a match here or there, but we ended up playing CoD or something else in the end.

Then I bought this game, and we can't stop playing it. Everything about the game just oozes originality and Ishiwatari's signature wild flair. If people don't think this game isn't comical, just play through it. There is also "Teach Me Ms. Lichi" segments, that are full of comedy (The one with Tager is comedic gold). The story isn't all that bad, its way above any other fighter. Spoiler below for those interested in the story.

The character's are trapped in a time-loop. Ragna constantly fights off against unit V-13, Nu, and is defeated, and pulled into the cauldron by her. His brother Jin jumps after him, refusing to let him go. Ragna and Nu become the dreaded "Dark Beast" and Jin becomes Haku-men, one of the legendary Six Heroes. The beast is defeated, and is reincarnated as Ragna. Hakumen is Jin from the last loop, and this story continues indefinitely. Terumi is apparently the mastermind behind this, and insures that the loop continues through his human counterpart Hazama. The only characters that know of the loop's existence is Rachel, who considers herself the "audience" to the play, and Kokonoe, who we know as Tager's "creator" and both know each other and talk about it in the story.

When the loop is broken in the true story, by Noel saving Ragna from falling into the cauldron, Hazama uses his position in NOL to order the assasination of Noel and Jin, which hints at a sequel.

As for the "The Wheel of Fate is Turning!" "Rebel One!", this most likely refers to the said time loop. The Wheel of Fate is the loop itself, as mentioned in the story modes. "Rebel" means just that, the characters are rebelling against fate itself.

As for the online play, I haven't seen anything smoother, even SF 4 has lagged on me, but this game runs amazing. Another thing I like is the interactions between characters. The taunts and dialogue in each fight is based completely on the character you are fighting. And in some cases, there is a unique scene that plays out just before the fight.
Jin and Ragna fly into the screen already at each others throats before the announcer even talks. And Jin and Noel will recite the NOL Oath (not sure what else to call it) before getting into fighting positions.
You're forgetting one thing.

Noel is apparently either the reincarnation of Ragna/Jin's younger sister, or ... their younger sister, just without her memories. Not sure how that works with her also being Nu-12, though.

Dammit Daisuke Ishiwatari, what are you on?

Gregorius

May 28, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
That is not a question to which we are permitted to know the answer.
Just revel in the amazement that is the world's greatest game developer / musical composer (I usually leave 'Awe of She' on repeat on my laptop before I sleep at night).

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
As a huge fan of the Guilty Gear games besides Accent Core which ruined my keepaway game with Axl, I must admit to being intrigued.

Okay, okay, so I'm actually chomping at the bit to get this game somehow, but I try to restrain myself. Else I'll wake up one day in an Atlantic City alleyway clutching a bloodstained PS3 and with no memory of what happened.

WhiteTigerShiro said:
The thing I love about this game is the same thing I love about the Street Fighter games, as it lacks one of the things I loathe about Soul Calibre. It has a simple moves list that you can learn fairly quickly so that you can focus more on practicing your timing and how to combo moves together. Unlike with Soul Calibre where every character's moves list is akin to an encyclopaedia, and if even one of those moves can't be recalled at the top of your head in the heat of battle, then you're going to miss-out on a key advantage to work around your opponent's attack (or defense).
I think you're mixing up Soul Calibur with Tekken. All you need in Soul Calibur is the basic stuff (press a direction and an attack button); in Tekken, you press a direction or two or three and hit the attack buttons corresponding to whatever limbs you think the move is going to use.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
NeutralDrow said:
WhiteTigerShiro said:
The thing I love about this game is the same thing I love about the Street Fighter games, as it lacks one of the things I loathe about Soul Calibre. It has a simple moves list that you can learn fairly quickly so that you can focus more on practicing your timing and how to combo moves together. Unlike with Soul Calibre where every character's moves list is akin to an encyclopaedia, and if even one of those moves can't be recalled at the top of your head in the heat of battle, then you're going to miss-out on a key advantage to work around your opponent's attack (or defense).
I think you're mixing up Soul Calibur with Tekken. All you need in Soul Calibur is the basic stuff (press a direction and an attack button); in Tekken, you press a direction or two or three and hit the attack buttons corresponding to whatever limbs you think the move is going to use.
Yeah, Tekken was pretty bad about it too as I recall, but Soul Calibur is also terrible about it. It's a really easy game to button-mash, sure, but when you're as good as some of my friends, you need to really know how your character works. Which means memorizing an encyclopaedia of moves.

Beowulf DW

Jul 12, 2008
Gregorius said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
Why aren't we permitted to know? Is it some kind of super-drug? Or is it the essence of creativity itself?

Arisato-kun

Apr 22, 2009
Beowulf DW said:
Gregorius said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
Why aren't we permitted to know? Is it some kind of super-drug? Or is it the essence of creativity itself?
My theory is that it's all because of his awesome hair. The beard helps sometimes too.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
WhiteTigerShiro said:
NeutralDrow said:
WhiteTigerShiro said:
Yeah, Tekken was pretty bad about it too as I recall, but Soul Calibur is also terrible about it. It's a really easy game to button-mash, sure, but when you're as good as some of my friends, you need to really know how your character works. Which means memorizing an encyclopaedia of moves.
Isn't that to be expected, though? I always thought it was the other way around: in the process of getting really good with a character, one eventually learns all or most of their moves as a natural consequence. Or rather, they especially learn which moves work (not many Bridget players use his Tragedy in Maintenance move, and not many Yoshimitsu players bother with his suicide attacks, for example).

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
NeutralDrow said:
WhiteTigerShiro said:
Isn't that to be expected, though? I always thought it was the other way around: in the process of getting really good with a character, one eventually learns all or most of their moves as a natural consequence. Or rather, they especially learn which moves work (not many Bridget players use his Tragedy in Maintenance move, and not many Yoshimitsu players bother with his suicide attacks, for example).
Well of course you have to learn the character's moves, but that's my point. With games like Soul Calibur, the moves list is simply massive. Sure you aren't going to use every single move, but how can a newer player be expected to know which moves he should learn and which he should ignore?

Then you get to games like Blaz Blue and Street Fighter. Every character has only a handful of moves to learn (with a couple exceptions for the more advanced characters). All it takes is a quick minute studying the moves list, a quick minute practicing the moves, and there you have it, everything you need to know about how your character moves. From here you can focus more on your personal technique and learning what situations are better for what attacks, rather than having to be bothered with losing a fight because you know there was that one attack you could have used to save yourself, but you have to spend about 5 minutes sorting through the moves list and trying each move before you finally find it.

So in short, the thing I like about this game is that it lets you focus more on your technique in fighting. Where I dislike Soul Calibur because it seems to focus more on knowing an encyclopaedia of moves before you can really start to practice.

Edit: Mind you, I'm not trying to say that Soul Calibur is a bad game by any means. Sale's figures alone would prove me wrong on that one. Just saying that it isn't my flavor of fighting game.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
WhiteTigerShiro said:
NeutralDrow said:
WhiteTigerShiro said:
Well of course you have to learn the character's moves, but that's my point. With games like Soul Calibur, the moves list is simply massive. Sure you aren't going to use every single move, but how can a newer player be expected to know which moves he should learn and which he should ignore?
I was trying to say that that happens automatically during the course of play. It requires a slightly different approach, but it still happens as a natural consequence.

Then you get to games like Blaz Blue and Street Fighter. Every character has only a handful of moves to learn (with a couple exceptions for the more advanced characters). All it takes is a quick minute studying the moves list, a quick minute practicing the moves, and there you have it, everything you need to know about how your character moves. From here you can focus more on your personal technique and learning what situations are better for what attacks, rather than having to be bothered with losing a fight because you know there was that one attack you could have used to save yourself, but you have to spend about 5 minutes sorting through the moves list and trying each move before you finally find it.
Except it isn't nearly that simple. I know it took me at least a month before I had a decent enough idea about how Axl Low worked before I could reliably beat other players with him.

In any case, it does seem to take different skills. If BlazBlue is an "easy to learn, hard to master" game, I can really only see Soul Calibur as medium difficulty for both. Movement in the game is simple already, so just learning the moves of character confers with it a lot of the skill you'll need, and it just becomes a matter of taking the ones you like, and training reflex and muscle memory.

Quite a few 2D games, on the other hand, don't give you a lot of training with the moveset. Sure, Archer in Fate/Unlimited Codes has a lot fewer moves than, say, Yun-Seong, but using them effectively doesn't come nearly as intuitively. Granted, that particular game has (hideously difficult) Training missions (including combo training, which take jump installs, buffering, and reflect canceling into account), but that's not an option for many others. I can't remember Guilty Gear teaching me how to use Sol Badguy's dust loop, or Street Fighter 3 teaching me how to use a given character's selected super in a combo (SF4 might be an exception, I haven't played it much).

So in short, the thing I like about this game is that it lets you focus more on your technique in fighting. Where I dislike Soul Calibur because it seems to focus more on knowing an encyclopaedia of moves before you can really start to practice.
And this I don't quite understand, because the majority of a Soul Calibur character's "encyclopedia of moves" are really, really simple (at least partly because they list normal attacks as well). For me, trying out a character for the first time is basically a litany of pressing a direction and a button (or running and pressing a button, or a direction and two buttons). Practice then becomes using the useful and cooler-looking ones in combat until they become natural. A lot of the more complicated stuff (unblockables, command throws, and the like) aren't especially useful, and can usually be ignored.

And this is where I break with Tekken, and its tremendously unintuitive movelists. Seriously, it's not that hard to figure out Nightmare's 66B+K (a guard-breaking dropkick), but how the heck would I normally figure out Armor King's f+1+4 (a shoulder charge)?

Edit: Mind you, I'm not trying to say that Soul Calibur is a bad game by any means. Sale's figures alone would prove me wrong on that one. Just saying that it isn't my flavor of fighting game.
And I can understand that. It's only those who refer to it as a button-masher's paradise who piss me off, and you've actually gone the opposite route.

EDIT: And here I completely forgot to throw in a Maxi/I-no comparison. Two different games, two different people, one with string stances, the other with an upward dash and odd moves...neither of which I can figure out. In other words, yeah, I do get that each has its own complications.

vellcrif

Jul 19, 2009
am i the only person who hasent posted something about the insane cheepness of jen
he's the only character than can imobalize other characters and he can do it with a single button press, then when he freezes you(which took no effort)he puts you in a combo
did i mention his spammy projectiles?

i only find him a problem because his freeze attacks have no down sides,and there to hard to break
they need to patch his attacks a lil because he's worse than n-13(or whatever the sword summon chick is named)when it comes to easy hits

for crying out loud you cant even block one of his freeze attacks unless you have god like timeing

also this isnt wineing, i have problems with no other character(even though ppl do abuse ragna's dash attacks and whatsherfaces's swords)

i guess what im trying to say is that ppl abuse sertain aspects of these characters(mostly jen)
and the developers eather need to make the characters harder to use or simply change there attacks so that way the game is completely ballanced

RavingPenguin

Engaged to PaintyFace
Jan 20, 2009
Wheee! I just got this game today, and had a balls out good time playing it. Though I did die when I first activated Bang Shishigami's super mode. I litterally fell out of my chair I was laughing so hard, which made it hard to play the game.