Review: Cave Story

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
Cave Story - both in freeware and Wiirelease forms - is one of the greatest platform/gun games ever. As a die-hard Metroidvania fan, I put this above Metroid Fusion, on par with Super Metroid, on par with Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. Cave Story is a truly remarkable game and a shining beacon of hope and wonder to anyone who has ever thought "Hey, maybe I should try to make a game."

Cave Story is incredible. I'm just saddened that they poked the common translation of it somewhat ("HUZZAH!" 4eva) and had some glitches with the new music. I hear the European release will get the fixed version, and the US version will be patched at the same time.

Quote and Curly Brace are the best. Alucard and Samus would be proud with their pint-sized imitators.

Silva

Apr 13, 2009
I think that this game deserves a high score, but I'm not convinced that there is any reason to pay to play freeware. Except if you don't have a PC. Which I'm sure will please someone. Somewhere.

But they are very unlikely to be someone who reads this magazine.

Z(ombie)fan

Mar 12, 2010
this and la mulana.

recommended out the ass.

when i got to playing them,

felt the "meh"

hard.

Sep 9, 2007
Heart of Darkness said:
Yeah, the audio isn't as great in the release, but the graphics are definitely much better. Although I was more upset at Balrog no longer saying "Huzzah!" just so he can imitate the Kool-Aid man. As a supporter of this game since 2008 (2009? I don't remember), I went and bought this the week after it came out. Fantastic title, and anyone even remotely interested in indie gaming should play this, either on WiiWare or its PC counterpart.

I was upset at not being able to mix and match audio, because while the new Cave Story (theme) is a tad grating, the new Moonsong is astounding. Ah well...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EebKwhgusw8[/youtube]

EDIT:
Nevyrmoore said:
...a hidden area that is the hardest in the game...
Oh god, is this an understatement. Bloody hell, it's one doozy of an understatement. There is a good reason it's called the Hell level.
Seconded. Hell WILL kill you, and it'll rejoice in doing so multiple times.
I prefer the original Moonsong tbh. Also yeah, the Sacred Grounds will mess you up big time.

Calderon0311

May 9, 2009
AgentChunk said:
Cave Story is the best isn't it? Still I see no reason to buy it. Free and legal is always the best choice for this consumer.
For most digital consumers, yes. But a small payment for premiums makes the Wii Price worth it.

Sep 9, 2007
sinclose said:
Nevyrmoore said:
Oh god, is this an understatement. Bloody hell, it's one doozy of an understatement. There is a good reason it's called the Hell level.
Aw it's hard but definitely not impossible(there's a guy on youtube who did it with the basic gun and only 3HP, meaning without even getting hit. Seriously.) There are some tips, specially in the final battle, that will simplify your life though. Want them?
I would like some tips, if no one else does. I've started a new run after getting bogged down trying to get the good ending and I've just cleared Grasstown. Current weapon set is: Polar Star, Missile Launcher, Fireball and Bubbler

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
The Eupho Guy said:
I prefer the original Moonsong tbh. Also yeah, the Sacred Grounds will mess you up big time.
Well, the newer version does do some things better than the original, and some things worse than the original. Eh. Aesthetics, I guess.

sinclose said:
1 of the best? I think it's the best! Wouldn't you agree? :) Although I much prefer the original music. Man, I remember the chills I had when I went to the Outer Wall the 1st time, something a video game hadn't made me feel in a looong time. It was so awesome...
Well, don't forget about Running Hell, Hero's End, Final Battle, Gravity,...hell, the whole soundtrack actually should be reason enough to play this game.

The Eupho Guy said:
I would like some tips, if no one else does. I've started a new run after getting bogged down trying to get the good ending and I've just cleared Grasstown. Current weapon set is: Polar Star, Missile Launcher, Fireball and Bubbler
Go with what sinclose said, but here are some things I found work for me if speed isn't an issue for you:

I've found that using the Snake (trading the Polar Star and Fireball) works differently than the spur, as it'll allow you to prematurely take care of traps and enemies before they can reach you. The trade-off here is that you lose the sheer blinding power of the spur, but that's actually worthless in the Heavy Press battle.

If you're going to run Hell with the Snake, make sure you complete the Little side-quest in the Outer Wall so you can trade the Blade for the Nemesis. It works great on Ballos, especially in lieu of the spur. Maybe better, in some places. I'd suggest getting this even if you do get the Spur. Just don't upgrade it.

Make sure you upgrade your missile launcher! A level 3 launcher can deal close to 2,000 damage to Ballos' final form in a little under three seconds. Upgrade it in the first room and in the Hall of Statues.

Save the Life Pot until after you beat the Heavy Press. You'll need it the most then.

Do NOT use the Machine Gun in Hell. EVER. It might be fun to use, but it's next to worthless on Ballos.

Hope that helps.

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
sinclose said:
Sol_HSA said:
"Short"? I wonder if he ever got to the 'good' ending..
I agree. It's not short by any means, it's a decent length.
He, I mean I, did get the good ending, but Cave Story could still be beaten in a single lengthy play session. Hence, it's fairly short, as opposed to very short, but as I say has decent replay value.

Z(ombie)fan

Mar 12, 2010
sinclose said:
I played Cave Story this very year way before I even knew there was a Wii version(thank you TVTropes!). It's become 1 of the very rare games that I've played in recent times that I've actually loved. Loved so much that I would without hesitation buy the Wii version if I could to support its release. Seriously, people, you should ALL play this game. On Wii or PC.
Sure the difficulty shoots through the roof towards the end, but that's if you're asking for it(road to the best ending).

scifidownbeat said:
Cave Story has the best value-to-cost ratio of any platformer ever. It has great quality and it's free on the PC. If the stars align and I buy a Wii, I'll have to be high to get this on Wiiware.

Along with Braid and Light's End, this game is the best cheap platformer I've ever played. I recommend it to anyone. Four stars? I say: not enough.

If this got four stars, pray tell what received a five.
I agree. This game has got IMO a simply perfect pacing, a very wide variety of weapons and enemies, a great plot to keep you interested and also it's so damn fun. In addition, it has about 20 boss fights which become increasingly challenging and rewarding, including a hilarious one!

z(ombie)fan said:
this and la mulana.

recommended out the ass.

when i got to playing them,

felt the "meh"

hard.
It ain't hard until the very end. C'mon, it's very progressive, making you gradually brush up your skills as it gets harder...

Nalgas D. Lemur said:
I played the original version a while back when it was first going around as the latest Big Thing. If you haven't yet and have ever enjoyed any Metroidvania-type game even a little bit (I'd go so far as to put it in the same league as Super Metroid), go play this now. No, really. We'll wait.
Ah, so I'm not the only one who believes this game rightfully rivals Metroid. Good to know!(PS:Link To The Past Rabbit Link FTW!)

Heart of Darkness said:
Yeah, the audio isn't as great in the release, but the graphics are definitely much better. Although I was more upset at Balrog no longer saying "Huzzah!" just so he can imitate the Kool-Aid man. As a supporter of this game since 2008 (2009? I don't remember), I went and bought this the week after it came out. Fantastic title, and anyone even remotely interested in indie gaming should play this, either on WiiWare or its PC counterpart.

I was upset at not being able to mix and match audio, because while the new Cave Story (theme) is a tad grating, the new Moonsong is astounding. Ah well...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EebKwhgusw8[/youtube]

EDIT:
Nevyrmoore said:
Seconded. Hell WILL kill you, and it'll rejoice in doing so multiple times.
1 of the best? I think it's the best! Wouldn't you agree? :) Although I much prefer the original music. Man, I remember the chills I had when I went to the Outer Wall the 1st time, something a video game hadn't made me feel in a looong time. It was so awesome...

BobisOnlyBob said:
Cave Story - both in freeware and Wiirelease forms - is one of the greatest platform/gun games ever. As a die-hard Metroidvania fan, I put this above Metroid Fusion, on par with Super Metroid, on par with Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. Cave Story is a truly remarkable game and a shining beacon of hope and wonder to anyone who has ever thought "Hey, maybe I should try to make a game."

Cave Story is incredible. I'm just saddened that they poked the common translation of it somewhat ("HUZZAH!" 4eva) and had some glitches with the new music. I hear the European release will get the fixed version, and the US version will be patched at the same time.

Quote and Curly Brace are the best. Alucard and Samus would be proud with their pint-sized imitators.
Couldn't agree more.

Tom Goldman said:
Review: Cave Story

One of the most well-known indie games in existence has finally gotten an official release on WiiWare.

Read Full Article
Hey if you played the PC version too, could you tell me what you think of the Wii version soundtrack?
Nevyrmoore said:
Aw it's hard but definitely not impossible(there's a guy on youtube who did it with the basic gun and only 3HP, meaning without even getting hit. Seriously.) There are some tips, specially in the final battle, that will simplify your life though. Want them?
in reply to the part replying to me (argh that sounded better in my head.):

i mean cave story is so mind bogglingly easy, i mean, the ILLUSION of difulty is easy to pull off, so at least do THAT

and la-mulana is only hard cause of unresponsive controls and bullshit situations thrown at right at the begiining. also the english patch presumably farks something up >.<

by

"i felt the meh

hard"

i mean that if "meh" was a baseball bat, it would have hit me in the face. im serious there boring.

on the flip side i DID like cave story's... well .... story. heh.

mikecoulter

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2008
AgentChunk said:
Cave Story is the best isn't it? Still I see no reason to buy it. Free and legal is always the best choice for this consumer.
Yeah, I don't understand how it can be free for one platform and not another. But, excellent game! He must have to make his money somehow.