Review: Chrono Trigger DS

NewClassic_v1legacy

Bringer of Words
Jul 30, 2008
Review: Chrono Trigger DS

The best time-travel RPG ever created journeys 13 years into the future to appear on the Nintendo DS.

Read Full Article

meatloaf231

Old Man Glenn
Feb 13, 2008
I find myself in the terribly geeky position of playing Chrono Trigger DS while reading this review. I am yet unsure how to react.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
Congratulations, Nuke, you finally got inducted into the fraternity of Escapist contributors. It's been a long time coming for you.

NewClassic_v1legacy

Bringer of Words
Jul 30, 2008
runtheplacered said:
I love me some Chrono Trigger.
As did I. I was elated that I got to play it again.

meatloaf231 said:
I find myself in the terribly geeky position of playing Chrono Trigger DS while reading this review. I am yet unsure how to react.
As if you are awesome. Because you are.

SimuLord said:
Congratulations, Nuke, you finally got inducted into the fraternity of Escapist contributors. It's been a long time coming for you.
Thank you much, friend.

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
A friend of mine just bought the DS version because he never played the original (Le gasp). I convinced him to buy it, and haven't seen much of him since. I already have the other 2 versions, I might wait a little to pick up a third copy of the same game.

NewClassic_v1legacy

Bringer of Words
Jul 30, 2008
Should I find it so amused that I'm attributed as Nuke Lassic in the author section? Maybe I should change it to my real name...

RAKtheUndead said:
Well done. Excellently written, and you're certainly somebody who deserves the honour of having a review presented on the site.

Pity that we European gamers can't get it until early 2009, but that's something I'll have to deal with. Never got to complete the original Chrono Trigger; I believe I was half-an-hour away from the end of the game before my save file was erased on my PC.
Ouch, hard-drives can be flaky like that sometimes. Hurrah for double-back-ups. And much thanks for the words of praise. They mean quite a bit coming from users like you and SimuLord.

Hankage said:
How much would I get if I brought a ratchet set and threatened to use it?
Too far away to counter-attack!

Mstrswrd said:
A friend of mine just bought the DS version because he never played the original (Le gasp). I convinced him to buy it, and haven't seen much of him since. I already have the other 2 versions, I might wait a little to pick up a third copy of the same game.
If you already have the Playstation remake, then the only thing you're really missing out on is the optional dungeon and ending, which is to say you're not missing much. Frankly, save this one for a rainy day. A lot of the original two is what makes this game really shine, so picking up another copy isn't necessary unless you really, really want to play through the optional stuff.

This review was, admittedly, geared toward people who wanted to re-live some nostalgia, and brand new players. Not so much for seasoned vets.

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
NewClassic said:
This review was, admittedly, geared toward people who wanted to re-live some nostalgia, and brand new players. Not so much for seasoned vets.
Alright. Got it. Thanks for the advice.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
This should be reason enough to get any form of Chrono Trigger: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZ20N6syuwc

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
I was suprised by just how much I still love the crap out of this game and just how much ANY excuse to replay Chrono Trigger is a good one.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
I have a confession to make:

No matter how many times I play through the game or whatever party I'm using, I have to put Marle in my party when you go to Death Peak. Just for that one scene.

You know the one.