Review: Damnation

TwistedEllipses

Nov 18, 2008
This is a current game?!? When I watched unskippable it just made me think of a bad game for the ps2...

..,heh, it's weird how the chasm like steam-punk logic jump in the setting isn't the worst aspect of this game...

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Hey, review dude, you used the "ghost town" pun in both the text review and the video. You really loved it, didn't you? ;-P

and yeah, I was all up on this game when I heard "steampunk shooter" but from the first vids I realized it was very poorly made. Now, I don't even have to play it to find out! Thanks, Internet.

Still, I'm waiting for a classic steampunk game to come out. You know, filthy London, pepperbox pistols and steam-powered miniguns, spring-based computers, etc.

Chris B Chikin said:
[EDIT]: I just had a great idea for a game: a free-roaming steampunk RPG. Fallout Meets Warmachine. Someone get Bethesda on the line now!
May I suggest a name? The adventures of Othar Tryggvassen, Gentleman Adventurer [http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/]!

Soulreaverm

Jan 15, 2009
I think this is the first 100% negative review I've seen on the Escapist. I enjoyed it very much.

I remember a few months ago when some trailers for Damnation were released on Steam, I watched one and got very confused. The developer was talking about 'never before seen' platforming while showing gameplay that looked like the first few levels of Prince of Persia: SOT, except with more cowboys, and less exciting. They were about 6 years too late to call it 'innovative', but they decided to anyway.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
amendele said:
I actually had the misfortune of renting this game without knowing much about it. I thought it would be a Gears clone set in a steampunkish Wild West, oh how wrong I was.
You got off light! I rented it because it looked like an RPG!

Yay! RPG!
Oh. Shooter.
Yay! Steampunk!
Oh. Shite game.

nipsen

Sep 20, 2008
Khada said:
Jiki said:
Wow, it took half a review to get into the stuff that actually matters and even then it's not quite satisfactory. Damnation IS a bad game, but you seem to be disliking it for all the wrong reasons (graphics, the absence of the far-from-vital cover-system and whatnot), at least for the most part of it. Of course, in the end opinion is quite a subjective thingy, but I guess that's why one's gotta know the reviewer in order to trust her/his opinion. I must say though that I found there to be too much uninteresting "noise" and not enough content in the review. Which might just be wholly subjective as well.

Also, on a personal note, I presumed the creators just failed, instead of failing on purpose in some vain hopes of some, uhm, "fast buck". And I'm a cynic, so what does that make you, heh.
what are you on about? I cant even begin to try and explain what is wrong with your post... everything you have said seems to have come from nowhere... re watch the review and see that his main complaints were the controls, lack of content and bugs.

you must be one of damnation devs.
The problem with the review is that disliking the game comes off as more of a choice by the reviewer than grounded in a set of reasoning (subjective or not). Past that, there's no real reference for why exactly the game is so bad - bugs? Every game has bugs. Gameplay mechanics? Is the sole problem that there is no cover- system - I mean, that just sounds petty. Open areas - it's not a rule against that either. The first Unreal game had huge open areas and only music. Lots of games use open areas with nothing but the skybox in it, and it works perfectly fine if the story- boards play out well.

So the problem with the review is that it sounds like there's some different reason for why the game is bad. One that couldn't be written out clearly.s

(Troll- protection summary: I'm not saying it is necessarily a good game, I'm saying the review somehow fails to explain exactly why the game is bad).

Tikicobra

May 21, 2009
Great video review. Escapist reviews typically don't have enough talking and remain silent for awkwardly long stretches of time, but this one was very professional. Good job.

etherlance

Apr 1, 2009
my only problem with this review is that it is only released NOW. if this was done about a month or two back, it would have saved me not only money that i could have used for a better game, but would have saved me the few hours i wasted playing it. hours i'll never get get back
(without the assistance of a steam-powered time machine)

got about 4/5 hours into the game before its annoying, boring and dull game play caused me put the controller down and say a great hearty "fuck this shit".

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
My level design teacher used this game's production trailer as an example of how to plan out levels. He was also looking forward to a steam-punk game. Too bad I guess, too bad.

dietpeachsnapple

May 27, 2009
Your succinct review was appreciated and valued.

You made valid points and cued them with appropriate footage.

Ignore the nay-sayers - this was just what the doctor ordered.

Karacan

Jun 28, 2009
So, we had Turning Point by Codemasters, and now Damnation. As the next FPS game lined up is Operation Flashpoint 2, we might be in for a fun ride.

It's really a shame. Damnation sounded like a brilliant concept in an even more brilliant setting. Maybe I'll go and buy it after all, because I *like* cheesy stories in a cool setting, and I find the setting very appealing.

Maybe, if there's bug-fixes?

Oh, right. Codemasters. Turning Point. Not even one patch (not that there was anything left to save in any case).

Keswick Gallagher

Jul 2, 2009
PedroSteckecilo said:
Well that's unfortunate... I was actually looking forward to this one, what with the cool seeming setting and all. But I suppose concept isn't everything, especially if the game proper is completely broken beyond help.
Mirrors Edge had a Cool Seeming Setting and All

and what did we get?

PiCroft

He who waits behind the wall
Mar 12, 2009
This is probably the first game in a long time I returned to the store becuase it was shit. Even if I'm not that fond of a game, I'll usually just sling it on a shelf somewhere until I get the urge to give it another go.

This game didn't grab me at all at any point on any feature, wether it was the combat, the platforming or the voice acting. Its a shame cos I too like steampunk and I may have even been interested in the story if the rest of it hadn't been so abysmal.

nipsen

Sep 20, 2008
dietpeachsnapple said:

..if the game is so easy to dislike - how come it's so difficult to explain why?

PopcornAvenger

Jul 15, 2008
Karacan said:
So, we had Turning Point by Codemasters, and now Damnation. As the next FPS game lined up is Operation Flashpoint 2, we might be in for a fun ride.

It's really a shame. Damnation sounded like a brilliant concept in an even more brilliant setting. Maybe I'll go and buy it after all, because I *like* cheesy stories in a cool setting, and I find the setting very appealing.

Maybe, if there's bug-fixes?

Oh, right. Codemasters. Turning Point. Not even one patch (not that there was anything left to save in any case).
That's not the only game Codemasters failed to support (or get support for). I've gave up waiting for a patch for the PC version of Rise of the Argonauts (another AVOID IT game).

Sigh. I was gonna boycott Overlord II because of it, but couldn't. I'm still in mourning for Dungeon Master I.

Oh, and I wouldn't hold my breath for patches or DLC for Damnation. Given:
1. It's Codemasters
2. Lawsuits are involved
3. They might have just laid off the entire development team

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/92817-Turmoil-and-Layoffs-at-Damnation-Developer

Jiki

Jan 21, 2008
Nerdfury said:
Maybe you two fail to understand the concept of 'supplement video.' As in, the video is a supplement to the full review, which you can find by clicking the 'Read Full Article' link at the top of the review.
Never jump to conclusions - it makes you look pretty bad when it appears you're wrong as is the case now, aka I READ the article and skipped the video since the videos rarely offer anything at all and are indeed just a supplement(and too often quite pointless).

Khada said:
what are you on about? I cant even begin to try and explain what is wrong with your post... everything you have said seems to have come from nowhere... re watch the review and see that his main complaints were the controls, lack of content and bugs.

you must be one of damnation devs.
If you can't begin to try and explain what is wrong, then why even post? Since, sorry, but you said nothing of use, just that you disliked my comment and that I should rewatch (reread?) the review and hence amend my opinion to suit the more popular one. If you must answer me, then would you please be so kind to actually insert some weight in your post next time?

Also, very witty with the last comment. Of course I must be one of the devs for disliking a weak review. How petty of me to dare to have a different opinion from the masses. I will try to control myself the next time and just shout on about how right the escapist guys all are. Maybe I'll even get a cookie then, though on the other hand I highly doubt they need or want your kind of avengers, so I'll just go and get one from the real-world cookie jar.

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
I know a game that was designed 10 years ago...You know how it's called? SUPERMAN 64!

Dominar

Apr 8, 2009
I pre-ordered this game. Picked it up within the hour it arrived and played it for 2 hours. I attempted to give it a chance and even conssidered drinking to hopefully make up for the crap that was being forced into my eyes. I jsut couldnt do it..I took it back and told GameStop that whatever they gave me for it was good enough just as lonng as they took it.

dietpeachsnapple

May 27, 2009
nipsen said:
dietpeachsnapple said:

..if the game is so easy to dislike - how come it's so difficult to explain why?
I am under the impression that he did explain why. Not to detract from the conversation starter that you have provided me, but...

What relevance does your question have to the comment that I left to the reviewer?