Review: DC Universe Online

Illesdan

Sep 15, 2008
I bought DCUO the third day it was out, and I think I'm enjoying it just because after seven years of playing City of Heroes, I needed to see something different. Will I keep playing it indefinitely like I did CoH; I seriously doubt it. I have six level-50s over on CoH, and several in the high 30/low 40 range. If NCSoft can stop visually examining their colon and throw away their bleedin' Nerf stick that they love so Goddamned much, I might just go back.

But right now, we're talking about DCUO. I think they've done some good things here. I've never enjoyed travelling all over the map as much as I do here. And I am here to tell you, I dropped WoW after two months of playing because the travel pissed me off to no end.

The combat's stamina meter is great. You aren't unmercilessly punished for unloading everything you got at a villian and forced to wait X amount of time for your stamina to come back. Yes, Perfect World International, I'm looking at YOU.

Now that the praise is out of the way, here's what's behind the curtain:

Character customization is very limited; it is THE worst when compared to CoH or CO. And if you make a male character, be warned, you're gonna want a full mask, because your choices of hair and facial features are crap. Also, if you were spoiled by CoH's body/height slider, you'll absolutely HATE being stuck with only 3 body types to choose from. Outfits are limited in the beginning (your character comes across the 'cool' stuff in-game) and if you make a tri-colored character, be warned; you'll be playing around with the color scheme all day and STILL won't have the color pattern you want.

The social panel is garbage. I still haven't figured out how people even 'Shout' in the general channel. I've sent 'Tells' to people and never had anyone respond. I thought it was simply because I was being ignored, or they were in a battle, until I got my friend on the phone and asked if he got any of my messages, and he said he didn't see anything from me. Seriously, you might as well forget the whole damned thing and get everyone on Skype.

I don't like the World of Warcraft feel I get about this game in regards to your character. By that, I mean, the NPCs merely talk AT your character, instead of TO your character. This is where CoH shined in my eyes, because they INSERTED your character's name into the story dialogue. I understand they can't do that because they insist on giving out missions verbally, which is annoying as batshit to me personally, but seriously, I didn't go through the trouble of naming my character just so you could NOT use my name. If that's the case, I might as well go call myself 'Twattycake'.

Movement is nothing like any MMO out there, and I can't really say that's a great thing. The controls are bizarre and take some getting used to. Flight, in my eyes, operates rather clunky compared to CoH, and I just can't bring myself to try superspeed. All my characters have acrobatics, and that seems to be working.

And that's my take on DCUO. I like it, I think it has some good ideas and great potential, but right now, it's a diamond in the rough. If you're thinking about getting into this game, wait a year; the level cap should be raised by then and they might iron out some of the more glaring issues they have.

Frozengale

Sep 9, 2009
You know I swear this always happens to me. I've been thinking up new ideas for MMO's for awhile and one of my ideas was a more action oriented combat system, an open world with hidden collectibles and races to encourage world exploration (I mean why make a huge amazing world if there is no real reason to explore it?). Lo and behold the game already exists -_-

Looks interesting enough, though I think I'll skip out on this one for the sake that Craig said that the quests become heavily repetitive. Can't stand it when quests become just a point and click blur where you really have no reason to care about what's going on.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
shreedder said:
anyone notice that the fire villain/hero they were playing looked a lot like Total Biscuit's one named Dark Halibut?
I noticed that as well..Coincidence?

shreedder

May 19, 2009
Eri said:
shreedder said:
anyone notice that the fire villain/hero they were playing looked a lot like Total Biscuit's one named Dark Halibut?
I think not. Some manners must be beaten into these copycats.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
shreedder said:
Eri said:
shreedder said:
I think not. Some manners must be beaten into these copycats.
That'll be the day...

Chazz16

Feb 1, 2011
i really can't believe you gave this game a 4/5...
i mean there's so many things wrong with it.
first of all i can't read the in game text because it's to small...at first i thought it was my tv but then i hooked my ps3 to a tv twice as big as the one i was using and it still couldn't read it.i tried expanding the screen and all that did was take half my mini map off the screen.

the fighting gets repetitive,it's like god of war only with a lot less awesomeness spewing from each attack.

the graphics could be a lot more better in my opinion.maybe there good for a free "MMO" game,but not for a game that's 60 bucks and ask for 10 more each month

the only thing that this game has going for it is it's great voice acting(although sometimes it lacks) and the fact that it's an MMO...but sometimes it feels like there's no one else there since nobody ever talks and when they do I CAN'T READ THE TEXT...

I'm sure fans of dc universe online will enjoy it...but to be honest there's free Mmorpgs out there that are better and more worth your time...and have text you can read...and doesn't ask you for 60 FREAKING DOLLARS TO PLAY!

2/5 in my opinion (and remember it's just my opinion)

defiante1

Nov 9, 2010
The main complaints about this game dissapear on the PC version, or some of them anyway. Laggy interface gone, bad communication gone, samey game play and repeated stuf not gone... but playing with friends you can talk too and communicate with properly makes it so much better.

The meat of an MMO is the Multiplayer and playing it on the console is still far to similar to a solo game, even with voice chat. Its the first real MMO to try the experiment and its done alright, but the majority of its gammers will be PC ones.

Optimystic

Sep 24, 2008
Poor interaction will be this game's death knell if not fixed. Everyone will ask themselves - "I'm basically playing a single-player game. Why is this an MMO?" Which then becomes "This isn't an MMO. Why am I paying a monthly fee?" Which leads to cancelled subscriptions. Dungeon Fighter learned this too, but they are at least free.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Spot1990 said:
Me and my friend used headsets during the beta. To be honest I don't even remember how. It wasn't very intuitive and even when we were doing it for the third or fourth time still took us awhile to figure it out.
On PC, it's extremely complicated.
You plug in the headset, then you talk.
Mind-blowing, I know.
You should enable push to talk though, since no one wants to hear you pressing buttons on your keyboard constantly.

As for the game itself, I enjoy it.
Yeah, the quests were samey and uninteresting, but I really like the solo dungeons and the fact that achievements reward skill points for you to use to improve your character.
First game ever that I've achievement whored in.
Well, except maybe SC2's campaign achievements.

Mysnomer

Nov 11, 2009
Greg Tito said:
Review: DC Universe Online

Enter the world of Superman and Batman

Read Full Article
Greg...*sigh* "Writhe your enemies in flame"...really? I'm positive you meant to say "wreathe your enemies etc." (though there's a slight chance you meant to say something about writhing flames).

Chazz16

Feb 1, 2011
warboss5 said:
Having played to level 10 myself, I agree with the same-i-ness of the quest lines. Plus, because you level so quickly, leveling up simply doesn't feel all that special. And, sadly, the chat interface is no better on the PC than on the PS3, its just not a very group/guild friendly game.

Oh well, back to WoW it is.

Even if the leveling was slower,you'd just get bored from the repedetive fighting and missions.

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
retrofish18 said:
"The cinematics and one liners feel like they were ripped from the pages of a graphic novel"

What does that mean. As someone who reads comic books on a regular basis, I've always used the word graphic novel and comic book the same way. Please explain.
OtherSideofSky said:
I object strongly to this insulting use of the term "comic book" as opposed to a superior style of "graphic novel" which is just a way for people who don't want to admit to reading or writing comic books to act smug. We don't have different words for good and bad literature or films and the coexistence of these two terms strikes me as unnecessary, pretentious hipster bullshit unless someone can come up with a legitimate reason for considering these to be two different mediums. "graphic novels" are works of sequential art written, drawn and published in exactly the same way as "comic books" and often by the same people. By perpetuating this segregation we are restraining the creative advancement of comics as a medium and actively preventing their acceptance as a legitimate art form by the culture at large.
I suppose that there isn't a strict distinction, but I think that it's usually the comics that push the boundaries of the medium that are published in a graphic novel form. I'm thinking of Alan Moore's Watchmen or V for Vendetta or the Dark Knight that you can find in a Barnes & Noble or other bookstore. These are more than just standard comic book series, they are presented as being exemplary of their craft so that they can be sold to a different audience than those who might frequent a comics store.

So yeah, the writing in DCUO feels authentic to common serialized comics, but it doesn't touch the nuance and artistry of some of the series that have been published as graphic novels.

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
m-m-m-m-m-montly fee?

Fuck that.

informative review though. Seems like it could have been great.

SmileyBat

Jun 14, 2010
A fair review. Didn't appear to miss much in the details. I play pve but toggle pvp (it's also nice to have it off if you're really not interested) and I have no complaints. The bottom line summed it up well: gets a lot right but has a few shortcomings. Personally, I'm re-upping my monthly.

AnthonyMS

Dec 6, 2003
The_root_of_all_evil said:
HankMan said:
Oh well I'll just have to wait for Marvel Universe Online.
Cancelled sometime ago. And then turned into those bighead characters I think?
Yes CO was originally going to be Marvel Universe Online. However, Gazillion Entertainment is going to make a Marvel based MMO which is scheduled to come out in 2012.

OtherSideofSky

Jan 4, 2010
Greg Tito said:
retrofish18 said:
"The cinematics and one liners feel like they were ripped from the pages of a graphic novel"

What does that mean. As someone who reads comic books on a regular basis, I've always used the word graphic novel and comic book the same way. Please explain.
OtherSideofSky said:
I object strongly to this insulting use of the term "comic book" as opposed to a superior style of "graphic novel" which is just a way for people who don't want to admit to reading or writing comic books to act smug. We don't have different words for good and bad literature or films and the coexistence of these two terms strikes me as unnecessary, pretentious hipster bullshit unless someone can come up with a legitimate reason for considering these to be two different mediums. "graphic novels" are works of sequential art written, drawn and published in exactly the same way as "comic books" and often by the same people. By perpetuating this segregation we are restraining the creative advancement of comics as a medium and actively preventing their acceptance as a legitimate art form by the culture at large.
I suppose that there isn't a strict distinction, but I think that it's usually the comics that push the boundaries of the medium that are published in a graphic novel form. I'm thinking of Alan Moore's Watchmen or V for Vendetta or the Dark Knight that you can find in a Barnes & Noble or other bookstore. These are more than just standard comic book series, they are presented as being exemplary of their craft so that they can be sold to a different audience than those who might frequent a comics store.

So yeah, the writing in DCUO feels authentic to common serialized comics, but it doesn't touch the nuance and artistry of some of the series that have been published as graphic novels.
If that were true, and I admit it used to be, I wouldn't complain at the distinction, but these days almost everything gets a trade paperback (which is the correct term for such a published collection). It weakens the argument somewhat when, for instance, all of Ultimate Spiderman appears to be available in trades (or at the very least an awful lot of it, and the couple I've read not only failed to "push the boundaries of the medium", they weren't even very good). I feel like your statement reflects an outdated preconception begun by people who don't read comics these days (not that there's anything wrong with that, I only follow one or two series myself). I just really feel that the original statement in the review should have been much better worded.