Review: Dead Space: Extraction

Jordan Deam

Jan 11, 2008
Review: Dead Space: Extraction

Is it a rail shooter or a "guided experience"? Who cares - it's fun.

Read Full Article

Remleiz

Jan 25, 2009
I dunno... it just seems like some of the sections are just stick waggling for the sake of stick waggling.

Just also seems like the kinesis spamming just to grab an item thats slightly too far to the left/right seems a bit silly

Mr. Fister

Jun 21, 2008
I hope this game does well. I haven't played it yet, but nearly every review I've read suggests that its a third-party "hardcore" (I hate using that phrase) game for the Wii done right, and thus deserves to succeed.

At the very least, it does show that third-party support for the Wii is getting better, as we're seeing more of these unique games and less watered-down ports of PS360 titles.

tk1989

May 20, 2008
I was just going to blank this game before, but i am now thinking i may actually consider it....

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
bah, seems like more of the same Wii gimmicks to me. For example, that shake the controller thing. Why? that could easily been done with a button. Some may say it's more immersing but in the Wii games I've played that do similar things, it actually takes me more out of the game than into it.

Jordan Deam

Jan 11, 2008
Eric the Orange said:
bah, seems like more of the same Wii gimmicks to me. For example, that shake the controller thing. Why? that could easily been done with a button. Some may say it's more immersing but in the Wii games I've played that do similar things, it actually takes me more out of the game than into it.
Why? Because it's fun. I don't know much about game design, but I'm pretty familiar with the concept of "feedback," which is acknowledging/rewarding player actions. With the glow worm, the speaker in your Wii remote makes these noises that sound kind of like a can of spray paint when you shake it. It's kind of silly, yes, but it worked for me every time.

Then again, maybe I just like shaking stuff. :p

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Jordan Deam said:
Eric the Orange said:
Why? Because it's fun. I don't know much about game design, but I'm pretty familiar with the concept of "feedback," which is acknowledging/rewarding player actions. With the glow worm, the speaker in your Wii remote makes these noises that sound kind of like a can of spray paint when you shake it. It's kind of silly, yes, but it worked for me every time.

Then again, maybe I just like shaking stuff. :p
OK I admit this is all personal opinion and I haven't played this game. But it reminds of the main spin attack in Super Mario Galaxy. I got bored of doing that real quick. And after awhile it started to make my wrist ache. Perhaps it's different in this game but I've always held the belief that if something can be done with a button just as well as a Wii mote shake the at least the option should be made available. Now on the other hand, the "mouse aiming" like point and click shooting is great, one of the best uses for the Wii mote other than full body 1-to-1 controls.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
I want to play this game so bad, Rail Shooters are one of the few shooters im actualy good at!

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Eric the Orange said:
Ever use a glowstick? You break it, then shake it to activate the glow. The glowworm is very reminiscent of that. Granted, you don't get to break it, but it still feels legit, and not like a gimmick. (At least, that was my experience.)

Cind

Aug 17, 2009
Funny, i was JUST talking to my newbie friend about what games she should play to get into gaming, Dead Space being one of the few i recommended... then i see this review?

..... creepy. Nice review, i like reviews that aren't solely focused on explaining how bad the story telling is, but explore other options... like how *fun* it is to blow up alien monsters with your pseudo-rail gun, in that a Wii remote is a little more similar to one than a standard console controller.

I won't play this as I don't have a Wii, and don't really have any desire for one. But fun review anyways :)

Pewpew, take THAT Lollypop man!

Byers

Nov 21, 2008
The original Dead Space was horrible. Why reviewers like yourself are lauding it as some kind of great accomplishment is beyond me. You really can't have very high expectations from the games you play.
Generic monsters, shallow story and characters, recycled plot, horrible camera angles, and one ugly ass space suit.

Can't say I see it getting any better by adding the barely functional control scheme of the Wii into the mix.

BloodyOne

Mar 23, 2009
I found it hard to imagine Dead Space, a horror shooter, on the Wii. Then I heard it was a rail-shooter. Expectations fell. Classic rail-shooter problems, but with a twist.

Of lemon?

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
It looks better than I thought but the item grabbing seems to be the biggest weakness. Why would they do that, it seems like such a hit or miss thing when trying to get an item which is really annoying if they're going to put upgrades out like that.

Fortesque

Jan 16, 2009
So... this is a game based on a cartoon based on the events prior to Dead Space, that seems to not follow the same storyline.

I doubt this will be better than just watching Dead Space: Downfall.

Vlane

Sep 14, 2008
When I first heard about this game I though "Fuck that game!" but now it doesn't look too bad. I won't buy it but it still looks good.

Bobbovski

May 19, 2008
This... actually looks kind of nice... I might actually get this one once it drops in price.

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
Wow! Dead Space on the wii and it acctully looks good! I loved the orginal and looks like the wii has taken all the aspects i love and exacuted them perfectly. For the item grab thing, its pretty much liek that in ANY railshooter, although this one does seems more difficult.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Byers said:
The original Dead Space was horrible. Why reviewers like yourself are lauding it as some kind of great accomplishment is beyond me. You really can't have very high expectations from the games you play.
Generic monsters, shallow story and characters, recycled plot, horrible camera angles, and one ugly ass space suit.

Can't say I see it getting any better by adding the barely functional control scheme of the Wii into the mix.
Funnily enough, there's this thing called taste. I'm not getting into that argument again though.

As a fan of Dead Space, I will be dusting off my Wii and giving this game a rather bitchin' playthrough.

Sep 13, 2009
Holy Ravioli, a reason to buy a Wii.

EDIT:
Byers said:
Not sure if not trolling. If not, THEN OH GOD, HOW DO WE FILTHY PEASANTS EVEN DARE TO HAVE OUR OWN PREFERENCES.
Byers said:

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." - Cookie for anyone who watched that move

Byers

Nov 21, 2008
Sparrow said:
Byers said:

Funnily enough, there's this thing called taste. I'm not getting into that argument again though.

As a fan of Dead Space, I will be dusting off my Wii and giving this game a rather bitchin' playthrough.
People have different taste, this is true. However, when I was 13 years old and first listened to Journey, I thought "my god, this really is as good as rock'n roll can get", and I would have argued this view endlessly to anyone willing to listen. It goes without saying that it didn't take that long until I realized my heinous mistake.

So, there is such a thing as different taste, but there are also people with too narrow a scope and experience to properly judge how good something is. I believe people who find Dead Space to be awesome belongs in this category. No offense.