Review: Epic Mickey

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Review: Epic Mickey

The happiest place on Earth spawns the most frustrating game on the Wii.

Read Full Article

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
Such a shame, I was really looking forward to this game. I'm still tempted to buy it for the story, but I know I shouldn't.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
I liked this review, but was completely blown away by the Plot device. Seriously creations that are missing their hearts!?!? WTF I mean I know Disney and Squeenix made Kingdom hearts but ya gotta leave the heartless to Kingdom Hearts. It just makes the story seem like a spin-off of what Mickey was doing before he became a Keyblade master.

FlyAwayAutumn

Rating: Negative Awesome
May 19, 2009
Well that's too bad, I was going to get this for my brother but I'm not sure I should now.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
It's heartbreaking, no pun intended. There's this world that you're just dying to interact with - and then actually interacting with it is a nightmare. The camera is complete crap, the controls are aggravating at the best of times...I really, really want to explore the Wasteland, but actually doing it just plain sucks.

SensibleCrout

Feb 23, 2010
Saw it coming.
Somehow I don't expect any good games to come out nowadays, except if they are from Blizzard. Ok, there are some more, but usually not the ones that are hyped the most. Personal Favourite: VVVVVV [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VVVVVV]

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
No! I was really, really looking forward to this. I thought it was going to be the first 3rd party Wii title I enjoyed (okay... maybe NMH), and the first Disney title I've cared about in well over a decade. I may check it out just to see anyway, but the way you described it makes it sound awful. There's nothing worse than navigation problems. It just completely destroys a game.

SensibleCrout said:
Saw it coming.
Somehow I don't expect any good games to come out nowadays, except if they are from Blizzard. Ok, there are some more, but usually not the ones that are hyped the most. Personal Favourite: VVVVVV [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VVVVVV]
Hooray! The video game equivalent of a used record store nerd decided to come. I think that it's a tragedy that record stores are dying. Without them, your "If you've heard of it, it sucks. The only good stuff was made with obsolete technology in somebody's basement," sensibilities have few places they can call home. In case you haven't heard it before on this site yet, welcome.

Explorator Vimes

Jun 7, 2010
Dang it Russ, this stinks. I was with you, I'm a pretty cynical person and didn't really get my hopes up for much this seasons, but it sounds like we were all suckered in by Epic Mickey. I might get it anyway because after foolishly expending so much energy to want to like this game I don't know if I can give it a pass. Though with both you and Susan condemning it, I...I just don't know. Curses, well here's to hoping I get DKC Returns and Kirby's Epic yarn instead to fulfill my platforming addiction instead for Xmas.

SensibleCrout

Feb 23, 2010
PhiMed said:
Hooray! The video game equivalent of a used record store nerd decided to come. I think that it's a tragedy that record stores are dying. Without them, your "If you've heard of it, it sucks. The only good stuff was made with obsolete technology in somebody's basement," sensibilities have few places they can call home. In case you haven't heard it before on this site yet, welcome.
There still are good games. The criteria for a good game haven't changed but the industry chooses to fail meeting them. We have lots of stunning looking but very boring games (like Heavy Rain or Assassin's Creed) and then we have tons of "casual" shaky-dancy game titles which would all better be played without any digital hardware in the first place.

I do like modern games like TF2 or SC2, but there are so damn few of them.

Explorator Vimes

Jun 7, 2010
I thought three stars was an average game. It sounded like it was solidly average in scope. He talked so negatively about it I think because like a lot of us he let the hype get to him, so he felt that much more bad about the game as a whole. It wasn't so much that the game is actually a 1/5 (And I know the Escapist isn't really a fan of the concrete rating system anyway so it's usually best to ignore it) it's just that he was supremely disappointed compared to what we thought we were getting.

jonyboy13

Aug 13, 2010
Wow, that could've been another great game with disney characters gone bad. It had even more potential than KH.
Well too bad now, great review though.

Optimystic

Sep 24, 2008
Vault Citizen said:
Its a shame too, the concept art looked so much better than the game we ended up getting.
Good question... does Disney advertise on the Escapist?

Apr 28, 2008
:'(

I really wanted this game to be good. I really did. I'll still get it though, but at least I know what to expect. Oh, this makes me a very sad panda...