Review: Fable 3 Co-op

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Review: Fable 3 Co-op

The Fable franchise finally gets co-op that works the way it was supposed to, but you probably won't care all that much.

Read Full Article

jeremypeel

Nov 3, 2010
I wish proper RPGs did proper co-op these days. I'm currently playing through Baldur's Gate with my brother; we're having WHALES OF TIME, or whatever the hell that metaphor should be.

(Calling Fable 3 a proper RPG is pushing it, I know.)

Buchichu

Apr 2, 2010
lol, too bad co-op tends to break peoples games thanks to the plethora of bugs and glitches Fable 3 has given us.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
So can you advance the quest in the online co op or is just for you piss about in? I was looking forward to playing through it with a mate.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
I pretty much only want this game for local co op on PC. Any news on that? I'm finding it very difficult to get info. I think this would be a great game to play through with my girlfriend who isn't much of a gamer.

Desert Tiger

Apr 25, 2009
Co op in games is so much fun but I think the games that would benefit from it the most are the ones that completely ignore it. How fun would Fallout New Vegas be on co-op? Infamous?

Hell, Dragon Age would've been obvious.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
elvor0 said:
So can you advance the quest in the online co op or is just for you piss about in? I was looking forward to playing through it with a mate.
I'm thinking the story can advance in co-op. In the "Road to Rule", when you unlock each gate you get that statue of yourself as you look at that moment in the game. Before you unlock the gate, you will notice there are two statue pedestals one on each side of the gate; the one on the right says co-op.

I haven't played co-op, but I'm thinking that when you do, your co-op buddy will get a statue there as well. I could be wrong, if anybody else wants to chime in, I would like to know if I am right.

------

Edit: Great review, I have a handful of friends that play. I'm hoping to get one of them to help me get some of the achievements. Though I would have to admit that it is pretty stupid that there are some things players can't complete in the game unless they have a buddy co-oping with them. Like that demon door that wants to see two heroes doing expressions with each other. I'm fine with the achievements for Co-op, but in game things that in the past could be done alone, but are now co-op, that is just bad game design. I sympathize with players that don't have friends that have 360's.

Jul 22, 2009
Sonic Doctor said:
elvor0 said:
I'm thinking the story can advance in co-op. In the "Road to Rule", when you unlock each gate you get that statue of yourself as you look at that moment in the game. Before you unlock the gate, you will notice there are two statue pedestals one on each side of the gate; the one on the right says co-op.

I haven't played co-op, but I'm thinking that when you do, your co-op buddy will get a statue there as well. I could be wrong, if anybody else wants to chime in, I would like to know if I am right.
Spot on, if you open a road to rule gate with a co-op buddy in your game he goes on the plinth on the opposite side.

OT: The co-ops fun but yeah definitely not something amazing, I'm not a huge co-op fan anyway. Even less so in RPG blends.

Sonic Doctor

Jan 9, 2010
GamesB2 said:
Sonic Doctor said:
elvor0 said:

Spot on, if you open a road to rule gate with a co-op buddy in your game he goes on the plinth on the opposite side.

OT: The co-ops fun but yeah definitely not something amazing, I'm not a huge co-op fan anyway. Even less so in RPG blends.
Thanks, good to know, though the rate things or going, there are going to be no statues of friends. It's going to be all me, yeah! I'm the badass hero that loves swinging his rifle behind his back to kill baddies without looking.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Can I just mention how much I love the orb system?

I would love to play Fallout: NV and see other players floating around.

Sadly, my 360 is offline, so I can't use the Fable 3 co-op system...

:(

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Sonic Doctor said:
elvor0 said:

Oh sweet, might give that a go then, ta for the info

RollForInitiative

Mar 10, 2009
MasterSplinter said:
Whats the difference between "overview" and "review"?
An overview is a general look at something, usually with regard to functionality. A review tends to be a more in-depth look, drawing up a list of pros and cons or illustrating the strong and weak elements of the review's subject.

Sonic Doctor

Jan 9, 2010
elvor0 said:
Sonic Doctor said:
elvor0 said:

Oh sweet, might give that a go then, ta for the info
You're welcome, I do what I can to help those in need. (Steps back into TARDIS and disappears.)

Optimystic

Sep 24, 2008
Mass Effect needs co-op dammit :-(

There's couch co-op in this one though, right? Is it splitscreen? It's pretty much the only reason I'd get it.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
I'll be borrowing this game soon. I'll try to check out the online co-op, but I may end up playing some local co-op too (if that's available).

EricBC

Feb 27, 2009
I actually bought this specifically for the Co-Op. It's same screen co-op similar to Fable 2 when you're on the same couch. Me and the wife play, which is nice since she's not a big gamer. Also, the Road to Rule is sort of plot based, but it's more of a skill tree. Only the player whose world it is advances. So if you are playing the sidekick you can level up and play the story, but when you go back to your game it's where you left it.

CornP

Apr 4, 2010
I enjoyed Fable 1, but neither one of the sequels got me hyped, coop sounds fun though