Review: Fable 3 Co-op

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
I've had one go of the co-op and quite enjoyed it. Unlike the co-op from Fable 2, I may actually consider trying it again.

The most fun we did have was rampaging through Bowerstone Market in our chicken costumes, slaughtering everyone in sight. Cruel, but fun nonetheless. It's best not to talk about the group sex antics that were engaged in, however...:p

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
MasterSplinter said:
Whats the difference between "overview" and "review"?
That's a good question. Given that this is just one small portion of the overall game, it seemed a bit grandiose to call this a "review" - I also haven't given the co-op a score. This information would've been part of the original review had the online co-op been activated when I was playing the game. I didn't want to just leave you guys hanging about what it was like, though, so we did the overview.

MasterSplinter

Jul 8, 2009
RollForInitiative said:
MasterSplinter said:
An overview is a general look at something, usually with regard to functionality. A review tends to be a more in-depth look, drawing up a list of pros and cons or illustrating the strong and weak elements of the review's subject.
Susan Arendt said:
MasterSplinter said:
That's a good question. Given that this is just one small portion of the overall game, it seemed a bit grandiose to call this a "review" - I also haven't given the co-op a score. This information would've been part of the original review had the online co-op been activated when I was playing the game. I didn't want to just leave you guys hanging about what it was like, though, so we did the overview.
Cool. Thanks.

Ghored

Mar 15, 2010
So the Co-Op is good, but not special enough to be a negative or positive thing for Fable III?
Well if it's not a horrendous mess like the co-op was for the last two games, I won't be complaining about it when I get Fable III.

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
I just realised. Since the character you play in Fable 3 is the son/daughter of the king doesn't that make the person you co-op with your other brother/sister apart from Logan? If so then isn't marrying and having a child with them both incest and inbreeding? Lol lion head didn't thing that option out fully did they?

Ham Blitz

May 28, 2009
This pretty much seems to hit the head on the hammer for coop. I do enjoy it sometimes, though none of my friends seem to like to do it much because they say something around the lines of "Oh, you will just kill the enemies I need to kill to upgrade my weapon". Although fun at times, it seems the specific challenges to upgrade weapons kind of killed some peoples' coop spirits.

Eponet

Nov 18, 2009
Straying Bullet said:
I played the game with my girlfriend, done all the above and tried squeezing much fun out of the game as possible. But some things disturbed me beyond frustation and we ultimatly decided the game was total crap and moved on.

There is a nit-pick with me regarding the marriage and baby making. Our kid turned out to be..black.. Before all you people declare me racist, me and my girl were compeletly pale as pale would allow us to be and ended up with a black kid. I know you cannot decide on race in the game but this struck me as odd and made me send the kid back to an orphanage.
Are you sure it was yours?

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
Straying Bullet said:
The kid was black. WTF?!
Eponet said:
Are you sure it was yours?
Priceless.

OT: You're right, I probably won't care that much. Still, it's nice to have the option to play with a buddy. When you're bored of the single player a good bit of multiplayer always does the trick.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Ghored said:
So the Co-Op is good, but not special enough to be a negative or positive thing for Fable III?
Well if it's not a horrendous mess like the co-op was for the last two games, I won't be complaining about it when I get Fable III.
Pretty much nail on the head right there. You'll probably find it at least moderately entertaining, but you're absolutely safe skipping it entirely. If it had been just a bit deeper, it'd have really been something, but as it is, it's just a bit of a diversion away from the main game. Like betting on the chicken races or playing the mortar game - there if you feel like it, no big deal if you can't be bothered.

NKnight

Jul 31, 2010
Can you instead of marrying your friend just hu.. er... do your bussines with his wife/ girlfriend? Please say yes :p. this sort of thing that makes a good co-op RPG xD

VondeVon

Dec 30, 2009
Sonic Doctor said:
Edit: Great review, I have a handful of friends that play. I'm hoping to get one of them to help me get some of the achievements. Though I would have to admit that it is pretty stupid that there are some things players can't complete in the game unless they have a buddy co-oping with them. Like that demon door that wants to see two heroes doing expressions with each other. I'm fine with the achievements for Co-op, but in game things that in the past could be done alone, but are now co-op, that is just bad game design. I sympathize with players that don't have friends that have 360's.
Can't you just have them over to your place, make them a guest account and then they can pop in with you? Does that door require the other player to be reasonably leveled up?

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
VondeVon said:
Sonic Doctor said:
Edit: Great review, I have a handful of friends that play. I'm hoping to get one of them to help me get some of the achievements. Though I would have to admit that it is pretty stupid that there are some things players can't complete in the game unless they have a buddy co-oping with them. Like that demon door that wants to see two heroes doing expressions with each other. I'm fine with the achievements for Co-op, but in game things that in the past could be done alone, but are now co-op, that is just bad game design. I sympathize with players that don't have friends that have 360's.
Can't you just have them over to your place, make them a guest account and then they can pop in with you? Does that door require the other player to be reasonably leveled up?
Well I did get the expression Demon Door unlocked. The person that does the expressions, has to have all the expressions unlocked, and players won't have all the expressions until most of the way through the game. I don't know about the guest account thing, but it wouldn't work at the moment.

You see, I'm in college at the moment. One friend lives 3 hours away, which I'm not going to ask him to drive all the way down here for that, and I doubt he would anyway.

My other friend got a job up north in the next state over, so he definitely not going to be stopping by.

But, we were able to do some of the co-op achievement stuff over Live. But still, my point stands, some people don't have friends that own a 360 and Fable 3 and they might not live next to the people so they can't help.

It is the one thing I hate about some of the games these days, they are getting more and more achievements that can only be completed if you have a buddy. My problem right now is that some of the co-op achievements I didn't get yet, my friends already got with each other because they met up at a time on Live that I couldn't and didn't know they were, and they got them. Now they don't really want to help me get them, understandably, because there are a few of them in Fable 3 that take a good deal of time, like the earn a 1000 gold in another hero's world. You would think that that doesn't take long. That all you have to do is kill some baddies and such, but no, it gives you gold periodically for how long you have been in your friends world. I spent almost an hour in my friends world on night, and I didn't earn near to 1000 gold. I'd probably have to spend at least 2 hours playing in his world with him.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
NKnight said:
Can you instead of marrying your friend just hu.. er... do your bussines with his wife/ girlfriend? Please say yes :p. this sort of thing that makes a good co-op RPG xD
Nope, there are several cross world achievements. One that you get when you get married to a friend over Live, and another for having a kid with said friend. Then you also have the earn 1000 gold in their world achievement, and the co-op Demon Door, plus there is the get all the weapons in the game, which can't be done by yourself, because in each play through you will only get random weapons, so you don't know what you are going to get and you won't get them all just by yourself.

My friends and I are close; there are three weapons out of the 50 that we don't have, and this is 4 people playing the game together, starting up many many new games and trying randomly to get them all. It is one of the most time consuming and stupid achievements I have ever encountered.