Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Review: FIFA 11

In FIFA 11, you kick a ball into a net.

Read Full Article

capacollo

Nov 17, 2009
Yah. I wholeheartedly agree with the review. Clean design, nothing totally innovative however but enjoyable. If you have FIFA10 don't think you'll need the upgrade but its a nice to have.

Tigurus

Apr 14, 2009
I'm poundering of getting it, though I always dislike games which are sold for 50?.
I liked fifa 10 though. (Played at friend's house)
Maybe buy this when it is a bargain.

I hope fast ^_^

Toasted Nuts

Feb 17, 2010
Good review, it is definately a superior game to FIFA 10, however I think its a game that shows its quality over time so for some people it needs to grow on them before they can truely appreciate how much better it is. Worth the full price though? That depends if you truely love football and want the most upto date game.

Deathninja19

Dec 7, 2009
It's interesting to get a yanks view on a Fifa game I can never tell if Americans like the series or not. Anyway has anyone noticed freezing during matches? I'm really hoping for a patch soon.

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
I used to like the FIFA games, but I don't think I've played one since 04 or something... I may pick this one up. Should have a job soon, so money and stuff. And it sounds like they improved them. I've always liked that you can improve your teams, instead of having these static players, who never seem to get better at kicking the damn ball, even with all that practice.
Oh, and Tito? Red cards are bad.

junkmanuk

Apr 7, 2009
Yeah you lot should be banned from reviewing football games...

I keed! ;)

The one big step for this years Fifa was proper, and I mean proper, PC support. Previous incarnations have been an embarrassment. The PC version doesn't have personality pro but then - who really cares. In multiplayer I want to play against the other player, not against an overpaid primadonna and in single player I prefer to take a lower league team to greatness than just cling to the coattails of the 'big four'. Many "serious" football players stuck to Pro Evo for years with non-licensed players, this has always been secondary to gameplay for the real football fan.

When you have a good group of players to enjoy the game with it comes alive - they've restricted the PC version to max 10 players but the drop out rate for 20-a-side, presuming you could actually get enough people to stay long enough to kick off, was appalling so this is no bad thing at all.

I'm interested to know where the reviewer thinks the game is lacking to have it receive only a four star review. A few of the comments made in the article lead me to believe the author doesn't really care too much, or properly understand the game. Football is a team game so in all modes positional play and working into space is a big factor of the game. It's not always about being on the ball but about moving into a position to break the defence or create gaps. Fifa does this better than any other game in the past. Pro mode further accentuates this when you are locked to the individual player and have to be very careful to play that position effectively and not play it like a schoolboy continuously chasing the ball!

You also are not restricted to one position as such, this is a nice feature in that you play where the manager puts you. My preferred position is right midfielder but was selected for left midfield or central at times which was a real test of my ability to adjust.

Certainly when you look at the competition, which consists entirely of the stalled franchise that is Pro Evolution Soccer, it's blown it out of the water continuously over the past three years. I'm glad to be back on Fifa - and even more pleased to be able to play with my PC gaming pals.

Boemmel

Jan 1, 2009
Um, a Macintosh version of FIFA 11 (it is mentioned in Platforms)? When did that happen? I know there is one for iOS devices, but iPhone, iPad and the lot are still kinda different from a Mac ;)

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
What. Was that. At the end.
Never really got into Football games, despite being British, so this kind of thing isn't for me.

Brainplant

Jun 7, 2010
While I do think this year's FIFA was better than last year's, for me it still has most of the same problems as before. Its play feels a bit one-dimensional, as you're basically using the same tactics as before to win... pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, one-on-one with the keeper. Long balls and crosses rarely work, dribbling is pointless unless you use the flick-it trick system (and even using that rarely works), and defending is a bit too over-powered. You'll only ever use one tactic to win games cos it's the only one that works.

Of course this is just my own opinion, and if that make me a so-called PES fanboy despite its plummet from grace, then so be it. But I did enjoy FIFA 10 and I do believe that some games only need tweaks instead of needless overhauls. My personal opinion however, is that FIFA 11 hasn't been tweaked enough.

gilthanan

May 25, 2008
Or you just don't know how to play the game. Crosses do work, and I score off long through balls all the time, and I dribble all the time. Have you ever watched a real soccer game?

junkmanuk

Apr 7, 2009
Boemmel said:
Um, a Macintosh version of FIFA 11 (it is mentioned in Platforms)? When did that happen? I know there is one for iOS devices, but iPhone, iPad and the lot are still kinda different from a Mac ;)
Not convinced about a mac release but they've produced a quite spiffy online version [http://fifa-online.easports.com/web/guest/welcome] - nowhere near the quality of the full game but still was a nice game which filled the gap until the full PC release!

Brainplant said:
While I do think this year's FIFA was better than last year's, for me it still has most of the same problems as before. Its play feels a bit one-dimensional, as you're basically using the same tactics as before to win... pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, one-on-one with the keeper. Long balls and crosses rarely work, dribbling is pointless unless you use the flick-it trick system (and even using that rarely works), and defending is a bit too over-powered. You'll only ever use one tactic to win games cos it's the only one that works.

Of course this is just my own opinion, and if that make me a so-called PES fanboy despite its plummet from grace, then so be it. But I did enjoy FIFA 10 and I do believe that some games only need tweaks instead of needless overhauls. My personal opinion however, is that FIFA 11 hasn't been tweaked enough.
Interesting read about transitioning between Fifa 10 and 11:

http://www.ea.com/uk/football/news/playing-fifa-11-like-its-fifa-10-is-not-a-good-idea

"There?s much more skill involved, and so tons more satisfaction, in building an attack with clever movement, accurate passes and well timed-runs, than there is in just pressing the pass button four times in a row."

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
I'm sorry, Greg, I completely misunderstood why you are the one to review this game.

It's pretty obvious that, well, you don't like soccer that much, which is okay, but I bet you that Fifa 11 is really really different in the hands of a football fan.

For me, it was as different as I could ever imagine it being - refined passing, controls, penalty system, Be A Goalkeeper.

Also, more red cards does not equal better.

Just saying.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
In my country, soccer is a HUGE thing, it's even an obsession here. Many people breathe, eat, crap and sleep soccer and despite that, I hate socce and sometimes I feel like an outcast because of that.

Anyways, good review, I may get it for the PC, but only if it supports the 360 pad, if not, then, it won't hurt if I pass this one out, as I've passed FIFA games since '98 and they all look the same to me, only with prettier graphics.

Boemmel

Jan 1, 2009
junkmanuk said:
Boemmel said:
Not convinced about a mac release but they've produced a quite spiffy online version [http://fifa-online.easports.com/web/guest/welcome] - nowhere near the quality of the full game but still was a nice game which filled the gap until the full PC release!
Ooh, nice, I think I should check that out later :)

But what I meant was that maybe the review itself has a little error: At the very end where all the supported platforms are mentioned, one of the supported platforms given there is Mac, which, unless the Escapist reviewers know something we do not, is not a supported platform right now, as there is no Mac version of FIFA 11 as far as I know.

On the other hand, I know that EA is doing iOS releases of a lot of their games now and I think FIFA 11 for iPhone/iPad/iWhatever is actually already out as well, together with all the other versionsl. But then the supported platform should be iOS or iPhone and not Mac, because although they are all made by Apple, they are still a different platform :)

sonofliber

Mar 8, 2010
SupahGamuh said:
In my country, soccer is a HUGE thing, it's even an obsession here. Many people breathe, eat, crap and sleep soccer and despite that, I hate socce and sometimes I feel like an outcast because of that.

Anyways, good review, I may get it for the PC, but only if it supports the 360 pad, if not, then, it won't hurt if I pass this one out, as I've passed FIFA games since '98 and they all look the same to me, only with prettier graphics.
soccer?, i thought that it was called that only in the USA.

on another point, i will try this, specially after trying PES 2011 and not liking it.

Brainplant

Jun 7, 2010
gilthanan said:
Or you just don't know how to play the game. Crosses do work, and I score off long through balls all the time, and I dribble all the time. Have you ever watched a real soccer game?
*sigh* I was expecting this.

Yes I have seen a real soccer game, and I do know how to play FIFA. I've been playing soccer games since the Sensible Soccer days on the Amiga.

My complaint isn't that it's too hard. My complaint is that once you figure out the one tactic that works, it's p*ss-easy.

Zamn

Apr 18, 2009
It sounds like you think of controlling one player as the primary game mode and the entire team as a side-feature. You have it rather backwards I'm afraid.

adderseal

Nov 20, 2009
The best thing to do with Fifa 11 is to get 3 or 4 mates to all contribute to the price, then play it together. We did this for uni and it cost £7 each. It's already given us dozens of hours of fun.