Review: FIFA 11

fundayz

Feb 22, 2010
Brainplant said:
*sigh* I was expecting this.

Yes I have seen a real soccer game, and I do know how to play FIFA. I've been playing soccer games since the Sensible Soccer days on the Amiga.

My complaint isn't that it's too hard. My complaint is that once you figure out the one tactic that works, it's p*ss-easy.
Naah you just don't know how to play. Constantly passing won't work against a good player. You'll need good dribbling, passes, crosses, and through balls.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
JourneyThroughHell said:
I'm sorry, Greg, I completely misunderstood why you are the one to review this game.

It's pretty obvious that, well, you don't like soccer that much, which is okay, but I bet you that Fifa 11 is really really different in the hands of a football fan.

For me, it was as different as I could ever imagine it being - refined passing, controls, penalty system, Be A Goalkeeper.

Also, more red cards does not equal better.

Just saying.
Because the other football fan in the office is me, and I mean the American type :p

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
John Funk said:
JourneyThroughHell said:
I'm sorry, Greg, I completely misunderstood why you are the one to review this game.

It's pretty obvious that, well, you don't like soccer that much, which is okay, but I bet you that Fifa 11 is really really different in the hands of a football fan.

For me, it was as different as I could ever imagine it being - refined passing, controls, penalty system, Be A Goalkeeper.

Just saying.
Because the other football fan in the office is me, and I mean the American type :p
Huh...
Well, that's a problem.

I have nothing against non-football fans (despite them obviously being WRONG) but I do think that a guy who reviews football games should actually like football, otherwise it'll be incredibly difficult for him to spot the differences and the gameplay aspects.

Also, sorry for constantly saying "football", I guess calling it "soccer" would actually be a far fairer option, but it's hard to switch.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
JourneyThroughHell said:
John Funk said:
JourneyThroughHell said:

Just saying.
Huh...
Well, that's a problem.

I have nothing against non-football fans (despite them obviously being WRONG) but I do think that a guy who reviews football games should actually like football, otherwise it'll be incredibly difficult for him to spot the differences and the gameplay aspects.

Also, sorry for constantly saying "football", I guess calling it "soccer" would actually be a far fairer option, but it's hard to switch.
On the other hand, you could also consider it in the light that a person who doesn't like soccer might consider picking up the game, and shouldn't a review be equally valuable to them as well? You might argue that someone coming in who isn't a huge soccer fan might be more likely to judge a game on its own merits.

Tito likes sports games, and he volunteered. So he got it :)

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
John Funk said:
On the other hand, you could also consider it in the light that a person who doesn't like soccer might consider picking up the game, and shouldn't a review be equally valuable to them as well? You might argue that someone coming in who isn't a huge soccer fan might be more likely to judge a game on its own merits.

Yeah, I guess I see the possibilites but I just don't think that a person who is thinking of picking up his first soccer game should go by the reviews of people similar to him.

Example - as a person who knew literaly nothing about American football, I tried out the demos for Madden and Backbreaker. Guess which one I liked more and guess which is the acclaimed superior game?

But, hey, if Greg volunteered, I'm cool with that.

A non-fan perspective is valuable too, just not as valuable in eyes.

Brainplant

Jun 7, 2010
fundayz said:
Naah you just don't know how to play. Constantly passing won't work against a good player. You'll need good dribbling, passes, crosses, and through balls.
*shrugs* It's worked for me so far.

MonsterZero74

Jun 22, 2010
I play a lot of FIFA. I have a habit of taking a crap team and getting them promoted to the premiership. Last year it was Bournemouth, this year it's Southend United.

Then I play a player career as one or both of my sons so they can see themselves on the video game screen. They love it.

The extras added this year have been subtle but it plays smoothly and I always love EA's soundtrack choices for the FIFA games.

Edit - It also cracks me up when Brits get annoyed at Americans when the term "soccer" is used when the Brits are the ones who invented the word as slang for "Association Football" back in the 1800s.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
I like football. Great game, I'm not particularly good at it, but i do play every week or so at school. A ball to the face or balls just what keeps the happiness factor down a bit, but still...getting a goal is a great feeling....
I think i played FIFA 04 or 05 or something like that once, but i couldn't get the idea of the game and got bored quickly. I doubt I'd get bored with this.

Zapperdude

Mar 19, 2009
Greg Tito said:
I signed as a key player for the Norweigan Kongsvinger team and I'm currently leading them in scoring.
Psst, it's Norwegian not Norweigan :p

OT: Nice review although we all knew that ANY (insert sport here) (insert year here) will be very different from the one year older version.

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
capacollo said:
Yah. I wholeheartedly agree with the review. Clean design, nothing totally innovative however but enjoyable. If you have FIFA10 don't think you'll need the upgrade but its a nice to have.
I respectfully disagree. I bought FIFA 10, having being thoroughly disappointed by FIFA 08 and it's sticky controls. However, FIFA 10 felt much of the same, and FIFA 11 in comparison to it's immediate predecessor feels like it's gliding in air. In short: FIFA 10 sucked. FIFA 11 much, much better.

MonsterZero74 said:
Edit - It also cracks me up when Brits get annoyed at Americans when the term "soccer" is used when the Brits are the ones who invented the word as slang for "Association Football" back in the 1800s.
It's not only the Brits....

Excludos

Sep 14, 2008
I'm a bit confused as to why you didn't mention the "be a goalkeeper" feature, which is one of the new big things for Fifa 2011.

tunderball

Jul 10, 2010
Fifa 11 is the perfect game to invite your mates round for a few beers and discuss what really matters..... Will Liverpool get a new owner soon enough to make an impact on the season? Have Newcastle got the man power to survive in the Premiership? And why can't Man Untd keep up with Chelsea this season?

It is the best social game I've ever played.

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
Excludos said:
I'm a bit confused as to why you didn't mention the "be a goalkeeper" feature, which is one of the new big things for Fifa 2011.
Because he admitted he isnt 100% on the FIFA title.

Bought it three days ago and I find it hard to put it down!

Vainglory

Oct 18, 2008
OK, so first off, Be a goalkeeper mode sucks bad. i played one match. you stand at the back doing nothing and waiting for your team to give away the ball. Some times it took so long to get the other team on the ball that i would encourage them to pass it until they got intercepted. I only once got properly called into action, and that was a penalty.

Speaking of which, the change to penalties was completely un-needed. Surely there's a better way of adding tension to the penalties than with a complicated mechanism which is never explained.

Buying players is really frustrating. Sure, some players would never leave their club (talking captains and long-term players), but thats not everyone. History itself has proven that rival clubs do exchange players, so having that as an excuse isn't good. Also, trying to build up a new young team for the only club in game from my country (New Zealand) is practically impossible. No one wants to leave, no matter how much i pay them, mainly because my club is such a small one.

The manager mode in general has been simplified too much in other areas. I don't get why they removed half the features. They made the experience more deep. Though the interfaces are a lot better.

As far as gameplay goes, its a bit frustrating at times, and the fact that strikers lurk around after the ball goes out is realistic, but it's annoying when you get caught out, but it is genuinely the best gameplay in a football game to date. The only thing keeping me from going back to FIFA10 is the gameplay.

Aiberg

Oct 2, 2009
let's just forget all about multiplay and game menus and sleek design, when you and your buddy get gamepads on your hands for an exhibition, isn't gameplay in pes 2011 better?

Corpse XxX

Jan 19, 2009
hahaha.. How on gods earth did you ever come to think of choosing Kongsvinger IL as your team? Its a tiny football team in a tiny city in a tiny country.. Its amusing to me seeing as i am Norwegian myself..

I want this game, but has so many other things to spend money on at the moment its sickening..

junkmanuk

Apr 7, 2009
John Funk said:
JourneyThroughHell said:
John Funk said:
JourneyThroughHell said:

Just saying.
Huh...
Well, that's a problem.

I'll accept that, if you get Ben Croshaw to review the next Madden release ;)

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
Short review: Its Fifa 10 but you can now play as the goal keeper.
If youre liek me and dont like football much, youll properly just play it for the achievments or when some friends are over.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
You know what would be really awesome/funny? Watching the Escapist review a game based on a sport they know absolutely nothing about [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_rules_football]. Sports games don't interest me in the slightest, but I would very much like to see that.