Review: FIFA 11

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
Deathninja19 said:
It's interesting to get a yanks view on a Fifa game I can never tell if Americans like the series or not. Anyway has anyone noticed freezing during matches? I'm really hoping for a patch soon.
Yanks? Are you from the south or are you like some sort of english person that calls americans yankies from time to time? I'm just wondering cause being in the south yanks is usually a term applied to new yorkers or people living in the northern part of the country.

Oh uh the soccer game. It's a nice game I would never play it. or buy it. or watch it. But actually doing soccer like playing soccer for reals. I don't play it often cause people insist I play a game more becoming of my size(football).

clubdrift123

Oct 9, 2010
I love the sport to death. Die hard Soccer (real Football) fan. I love the Fifa series and buy it every year. I love the fact that in FIFA 11 you can play as the goalkeeper (that is the position I play in real life). My only negative thing about this was the team AI when playing as a goalkeeper, my strikers always just run straight into the other teams keeper and don't shoot or pass off. I wish they would fix this so it can be that much more enjoyable. overall i would give it an 8/10.

ottenni

Aug 13, 2009
Hehe this game is such good fun to play with friends.

Partially because its hilarious to watch the AI run into a wall time and time again and partially because it is a really fun game.

Also, try scoring with the goalie. The AI will not attempt to tackle you unless you get extremely close to you so you can nearly walk the entire field unopposed. Its a foolproof plan.

SLaai_SouS

Oct 21, 2009
tunderball said:
Fifa 11 is the perfect game to invite your mates round for a few beers and discuss what really matters..... Will Liverpool get a new owner soon enough to make an impact on the season? Have Newcastle got the man power to survive in the Premiership? And why can't Man Untd keep up with Chelsea this season?
Or how Arsenal always tries to walk it in

OT: Awesome review cant wait to get my hands on the game :D

-Drifter-

Jun 9, 2009
SupahGamuh said:
In my country, soccer is a HUGE thing, it's even an obsession here. Many people breathe, eat, crap and sleep soccer and despite that, I hate socce and sometimes I feel like an outcast because of that.
You probably shouldn't eat the same thing you crap, so maybe being an outcast is for the better.

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
GOOOOooooOOOOOoooooooo bibliotecaaa!!!

I missed the joke!. why would anyone say "Library" at the end of a "GOAL" scream???

anywhay, i might buy this game,i liked the review and it looks fun enough

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Vainglory said:
OK, so first off, Be a goalkeeper mode sucks bad. i played one match. you stand at the back doing nothing and waiting for your team to give away the ball. Some times it took so long to get the other team on the ball that i would encourage them to pass it until they got intercepted. I only once got properly called into action, and that was a penalty.
Well, believe it or not, this is how goalkeeping works.

Also, which difficulty level?
Vainglory said:
Speaking of which, the change to penalties was completely un-needed. Surely there's a better way of adding tension to the penalties than with a complicated mechanism which is never explained.
This should help, somewhat.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
kman123 said:
Oh for Gods sake. Can you please just call it Football? FOOT-BALL. FOOT. BALL. IT IS NOT FUCKING SOCCER.

If you just replaced every instance of 'soccer' with football, I'd say this is a very good review.
Sorry, I was raised in a place where everyone calls it soccer and has no respect for the sport.
Communist kickball! Say it right!

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Souplex said:
kman123 said:
Oh for Gods sake. Can you please just call it Football? FOOT-BALL. FOOT. BALL. IT IS NOT FUCKING SOCCER.

If you just replaced every instance of 'soccer' with football, I'd say this is a very good review.
Sorry, I was raised in a place where everyone calls it soccer and has no respect for the sport.
Why communist? Coming from an ex-commie country myself, we fail at football pretty hard. If anything, it should be Royal Kickball.

murphy7801

Apr 12, 2009
JourneyThroughHell said:
Souplex said:
kman123 said:

Why communist? Coming from an ex-commie country myself, we fail at football pretty hard. If anything, it should be Royal Kickball.
Or imperial kick ball

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
JourneyThroughHell said:
Souplex said:
kman123 said:

All the modern communist countries love it though. Communist = Not American. Ergo, since America doesn't like it, it's communist.

Vainglory

Oct 18, 2008
JourneyThroughHell said:
Vainglory said:
OK, so first off, Be a goalkeeper mode sucks bad. i played one match. you stand at the back doing nothing and waiting for your team to give away the ball. Some times it took so long to get the other team on the ball that i would encourage them to pass it until they got intercepted. I only once got properly called into action, and that was a penalty.
Well, believe it or not, this is how goalkeeping works.

Also, which difficulty level?
Vainglory said:
Speaking of which, the change to penalties was completely un-needed. Surely there's a better way of adding tension to the penalties than with a complicated mechanism which is never explained.
This should help, somewhat.
Yeah, i know how to do them, after i tried out a few in the arena. still didn't need to change.

soilent

Jan 2, 2010
I'm glad that I'm not the only one obsessed with huge afros on my characters in FIFA games.

I'm quite happy with 09 but I might pick this up after new vegas.

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
One thing that I forgot to mention in the review that really needs to be said: the soundtrack is actually pretty fucking awesome. The older games always had some real cringe-worthy pop songs, but I'd say i dig about 90% of the music in FIFA 11.

Even that semi-annoying song in the penalties tutorial that JourneyThroughHell posted really start to grow on me. It's such a weird sound.