Review: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Blanks said:
I still don't think "oh the cutscenes are too long" has ever been a viable argument.
How do you figure? Being forced to watch a game for an excessive amount of time, as opposed to being allowed to play it, is valid complaint.

Adzma

Sep 20, 2009
Cyrstal Chronicles was always a poor Final Fantasy series. Squenix should stop bothering to develop for Nintendo's consoles and just stick to their handhelds.

Voltano

Dec 11, 2008
eva243 said:
I was initially looking forward to this game, but it has gotten so many bad reviews that if I ever do get it I will for the bargin bin price sigh :/
I just took a quick look at Game Rankings [http://www.gamerankings.com/wii/928447-/index.html] seem to point mixed reviews for this game. Though I noticed Nintendo Power is giving it a high score.

Then again, I don't trust Nintendo Power anymore after their review over "Fighting Fantasy: Warlock on Firetop Mountain".

Tharticus

Dec 10, 2008
Crystal Chronicles has been a curse since Square Enix reconciliation with Nintendo after FF6.

And it still continues.

Donrad

Aug 21, 2008
"we have failed"
was that intentional? lmao.
if you dont know what i mean its the last line in the cut scene right before the video ends.
this game has had so many commercials on tv its sad to see the advertising gone to waste on a game that COULD have been so much better.

paralost

Aug 7, 2009
man when will final fantasy end. how many times can you play the same story before you realize it's the same shit on a different day. there is nothing FINAL about this fantasy.

Kuchinawa212

Apr 23, 2009
Looks like this one is a total pass for me. I'm not much into the series all the cut scene just made the game seem longer then it should of.

And wait what? You just got to out last them until a bell sounds? That's easy XD

Nerdfury

I Can Afford Ten Whole Bucks!
Feb 2, 2008
I remember, back in my day, that cutscenes were coveted rewards for getting to a certain point in a game. You'd get to a cutscene and sit, holding in every drop of soda you'd drank to get to that point, and watch in awe. And then tell everyone you know about the awesome scene you just saw.

Today's kids are too 'gimmie gimmie gimmie! now now now!' to appreciate cutscenes anymore.

paralost

Aug 7, 2009
a. yah they're almost always exactly the same story

b. as long is it took you to be a jackass about it

coolbluex

Nov 19, 2009
Crystal Chronicles has always been Square-Enix's way of selling their experimental crap to blind die-hard fanboy/girls
best part is, it's not like it helps make FF any better these days

On another note, i love the review. Concise and humorous at the same time =p

I bet unskipable could do a whole month of this game but that would probably be too much of a torture to make

DragonWright

May 25, 2009
So, the only gameplay is basically the vinewhip from Dawn of Mana? Is there some reason you can't keep the Dragon Buster Cannon? Maybe it's powered by freefall.

WTF @ throwing cats off bridges. Jerk.

And does Layle's Crystal mark look to anyone else like someone **** on his face?

LolitaBelle24

Jan 8, 2010
I've been playing it since it came out on the 26th and I have to say as far as Final Fantasy goes this game is a disappointment. Heck, as far as RPGs and video games go this is a disappointment. It's as though the developers thought that sticking the Final Fantasy label on the box would be enough to make up for the poor effort done. However, a ten dollar shine on 10 cent shoes still leaves you with shoddy footwear. It's a thousand years too early to even come close to what Final Fantasy was meant to be. Final Fantasy has gone down hill since Square became Square Enix. Come on developers, get it together and remember what Final Fantasy was supposed to be.

k-ossuburb

Jul 31, 2009
Kinda apt that they ended on the line: "we have failed."

Yes you have Sqeenix, yes you have.

comet5002

Mar 27, 2009
Is it really a surprise to anyone that this game fails? The Crystal Chronicles spin-off has sucked since the very first one, I don't see why they keep making sequels to it.

DeathByTheSword

Sep 9, 2009
I think Crystal Chronicles is Square Enix's way of making up for Nintendo for bailing out on them after FF VI. But they should just accept the fact that they'll never make another Final Fantasy that even reaches VI's feet.