Review: Kirby's Epic Yarn

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
Erana said:
I guess the thing that's bothered me about Kirby lately is the distinct lack of a true evil since Kirby 64. I mean, a evil yarn guy doesn't have quite the same effect as a bleeding eye that embodies suffering and hatred. Zero was a great antagonist for Kirby 'cause it pushed you a bit out of your comfort zone and made you have to rethink the entire game when this thing's hemorrhaging from your magical pom-pom happy lasers of love and friendship.
Traditionally, Kirby's final antagonist is always a bait-and-switch. Remember how many times DeeDeeDee has been set up as the final encounter, only to be a (tough) mid-boss? It wouldn't surprise me in Yin Yarn is never actually a boss, or summons a Yarn-ized version of Zero/Zero2/Nightmare for you to battle. It could be like a sheet of creepy, black-and-glossy fabric with jagged edges and skull-designs over it, with a single eye that appears to "bleed" strands of thin red cotton...

I dunno, maybe not. That'd be too creepy.

Caradinist

Nov 19, 2009
Now. I'm a man, and i eat rocks and shit lightning.

But, given that i played Kirby's Adventure when i was a kid, i feel genuinely sad that i do not have a Wii to play this game.

dex-dex

Oct 20, 2009
The game is deceiving because it looks like a craft store and it looks like it is for a lot younger children but hell any game that let's you play as a fire truck is AWESOME!!!!

snowman6251

Nov 9, 2009
Swifteye said:
snowman6251 said:
You can't die in this game. A big part of gaming for me is exploring a hostile environment and making it out alive, hence why I like the horror genre and Demon's Souls is my favorite game this gen by leaps and bounds, as well as being my second favorite game of all time.

Kirby is therefore really not my thing.
Please excuse me saying this but your a little weird. You only enjoy a game when your constantly under the threat of defeat? You must not play many games then cause usually games aren't interested in grinding you into the dirt unless you have there hard modes on which lots of games and probably this one has as well. Personally games that constantly beat you into the dirt like demon's souls are terrible games because unless you like punishment how can you enjoy yourself playing it when you are constantly losing from whatever thing happens to hit you?
I don't really know what YOU'RE talking about. Every game in the world tries to kill you. Even Mario has the threat of imminent death looming around the corner. Practically every game ever made lets you die.

The only I can think of that don't are this Kirby game and that colorful Prince of Persia.

Without any risk there is no adrenaline, no excitement, and no motivation to perform well. Also no, this game does not have a hard mode. There is literally no way to die in this Kirby game. A major part of gaming for me is having that thrill of your life being on the line without really having your life on the line. That's why I love Demon's Souls so much. Its you vs the world and if you want to defeat it you're going to need to do shit right. That thrill of narrowly escaping death to kill the big boss is unmatchable for me.

Kirby doesn't offer that. Not at all.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
snowman6251 said:
Swifteye said:
snowman6251 said:
You can't die in this game. A big part of gaming for me is exploring a hostile environment and making it out alive, hence why I like the horror genre and Demon's Souls is my favorite game this gen by leaps and bounds, as well as being my second favorite game of all time.

Please excuse me saying this but your a little weird. You only enjoy a game when your constantly under the threat of defeat? You must not play many games then cause usually games aren't interested in grinding you into the dirt unless you have there hard modes on which lots of games and probably this one has as well. Personally games that constantly beat you into the dirt like demon's souls are terrible games because unless you like punishment how can you enjoy yourself playing it when you are constantly losing from whatever thing happens to hit you?
I don't really know what YOU'RE talking about. Every game in the world tries to kill you. Even Mario has the threat of imminent death looming around the corner. Practically every game ever made lets you die.

The only I can think of that don't are this Kirby game and that colorful Prince of Persia.

Without any risk there is no adrenaline, no excitement, and no motivation to perform well. Also no, this game does not have a hard mode. There is literally no way to die in this Kirby game. A major part of gaming for me is having that thrill of your life being on the line without really having your life on the line. That's why I love Demon's Souls so much. Its you vs the world and if you want to defeat it you're going to need to do shit right. That thrill of narrowly escaping death to kill the big boss is unmatchable for me.

That's perfectly valid reasoning, and it sounds like you wouldn't enjoy Kirby. But I want to amend one thing: "Without any risk there is no adrenaline, no excitement, and no motivation to perform well"...for YOU. A game does not have to have these things in order to be good. It's perfectly fair for you to say that a game must have those qualities in order for you personally to enjoy it, but it's not a universal truth, or anything.

2fish

Sep 10, 2008
A wii game I would actually want to own... having trouble with this give me some time. Does this game have hypnotic powers over girls it may have multiple uses. Pity I lack a wii then.

snowman6251

Nov 9, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
snowman6251 said:
Swifteye said:
snowman6251 said:

That's perfectly valid reasoning, and it sounds like you wouldn't enjoy Kirby. But I want to amend one thing: "Without any risk there is no adrenaline, no excitement, and no motivation to perform well"...for YOU. A game does not have to have these things in order to be good. It's perfectly fair for you to say that a game must have those qualities in order for you personally to enjoy it, but it's not a universal truth, or anything.
At no point did I claim Kirby was a bad game, nor did I claim that no one else should play it. I personally look for different things in a game than what Kirby has to offer. That was all I was saying.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
When I hear epic yarn I can't help but think of a yarn as in a old man story but completely epic.
"When I was your age I had to walk uphill 3 miles in the snow to to get to school and we had to fight off ninjas and punch sharks along the way too!"

Nice review!

Exliam

Sep 22, 2010
snowman6251 said:
Swifteye said:
snowman6251 said:

Braid. Wario land II and III . A large number of adventure games. and quite a few others that I can't exactly name off the top of my head. Anyways, it's not that big a deal. You're making a mountain out of a molehill.

mr_rubino

Sep 19, 2010
Why are you PMSing ladies fighting in the thread about Yarn Kirby?! This game is full of dangerous levels of "D'awwwwwwwwww :3", and Kirby gets a bachelor pad.

Reagus

Apr 1, 2009
WHY is the release date for the UK next BLOODY YEAR?!?!?!

It's not even like there's language translation, parring American English to English English (aka color to colour, favor to favour, etc..), and I bet they don't even do that. My only guess is that they need more releases for the first quarter of 2011, and if that IS the case, its utter bullshit

anaphysik

Nov 5, 2008
Electrogecko said:
Moriarty70 said:
I still can't help but think this wasn't a Kirby game when it was pitched, but they tied it in for an easy sell.
Yea.....they announced this.
And it's not like it isn't a perfect fit for Kirby.
Incidentally, why does nobody seem to like Yoshi's Story? I fricken loved that game! It was hugely replayable, was loaded with secrets, made for great alternating coop, had good music and great visuals, had challenging platforming, navigation, and boss battles, and appealed to all age ranges. What was the problem?
I too loved Yoshi's Story (it was my first N64 game :] ). My primary problem with it was the life system: I want to play with light-blue Yoshi, but if I fall off the stage, I'll lose him! I guess I'm sentimental in a weird way like that.

This doesn't look bad, but it does have a franchise add-on feel, like Dinosaur Planet->Starfox Adventures (which I actually played and finished recently; it's not bad, particularly some of the puzzle elements, but it has some serious design issues).

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Et3rnalLegend64 said:
Not G. Ivingname said:
Must... resist... urgde... to... randomly... hug... things...
Don't resist! Embrace the urge to embrace things!
RAAAAGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!

*Crushes Et3 in monster sized hug*

CLOTH KIRBY IS SO CUTE AND CUDELY. I WANT TO HUG HIM, AND KISS HIM, AND MAKE HIM A SWEATER :D

SovietX

Sep 8, 2009
The physics applied to the material surprised me. This game looks good for a Wii game.