Review: Left 4 Dead 2

comadorcrack

The Master of Speilingz
Mar 19, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
CyberKnight said:
One thing I miss is the interaction between characters from L4D1. That game was almost worth playing alone for the elevator dialog in No Mercy, and for Francis's constant griping. Ellis is a hoot, but I hoped for more than a one-man show.
I guess to each their own, but I've loved the interaction between the characters here, too. All of the characters have had their little moments. Like "Oh hey, Whispering Oaks! I used to go there all the time when I was a kid!" "Great. So we can die there as adults. Sounds like fun."

Coach and Nick have some really funny back-and-forths. I like Nick's sense of snark in general.
Perhaps My Favourite quote.

"I can't believe you Shot the Pilot Nick." "He Was a Zombie!" "True, I'd say that was the definite Low point of the Journey"

Bato

Oct 18, 2009
The AI was ramped up a LOT.
When going particularly well one game, I had a smoker drag me off, a hunter pounce another guy, a jokey another guy and a spitter incapped the last guy who was near the hunter pounced dude. While the jokey moved the third guy into the acid close to the hunter pounced guy.

That was one hell of a coordinated attack.

MercenaryCanary

Mar 24, 2008
Laura. said:
The only thing I didn't really enjoy that much were the characters. I find them bland. Rochelle and Nick have no personality whatsoever, and Coach could have been a lot better.
Well, Nick did has some personality. However... Rochelle and Coach are... meh.
I miss the original gang...

MercenaryCanary

Mar 24, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
Jaranja said:
It gets old really quickly. It's far too easy. It's monotonous.
Really? The general consensus among the people who played the first game (who I've talked to, anyway) seems to be that the game is a lot harder than the first one. Special infected come in waves of three at a time, the Director 2.0 doesn't go as easy on you as in the first game.
Yeah, it is a lot harder in than the first one... It almost makes you happy to see a Tank though, because then you know there isn't anything else for a short amount of time.

Shamus Young said:
No broom? Alas.
Lol Shamus, maybe you should start that "Left 4 Dumb" up again?

Zefar

May 11, 2009
Anyone who claim L4D2 is just a DLC have not played it. Or at least refuse to accept it's good.

Seriously, when did ANY DLC for you add.

5 new campaigns. Around 23 maps total just for Campaign. Scavenge and Survivor have also maps.
4 new characters (Who are quite chatty this time around. More so than the other survivors.)
2+ Rifle/auto shotgun/Pistol and 1+ on sniper, SMG and shotgun.
3 New Class monster types.
New Game mode (Scavenge is actually pretty fun)
10 Melee weapons that are completely new to the game.
New type of Crescendo events
50 New achievements

Go ahead, DO try to prove me wrong. Halo 3 got some maps for 10$ and you call this a DLC? Greedy bastard is what you are.
Oh and TF2 is no where near this amount of DLC. If all of this was thrown into L4D it would change the game too much. It just wouldn't work out.

Btw claiming this is easy? Far from it.

Try Dark Carnival or Dead Center on Expert. Dark Carnival being the most brutal one of them all according to people on the forum.
They even go so far to claim it's TOO HARD and you claim it's easy?

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
Jaranja said:
Ok go for expert realism i would like to see you breeze through that in 20 minutes

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
Internet Kraken said:
Jaranja said:
Internet Kraken said:
Jaranja said:
Internet Kraken said:
Jaranja said:
Caliban1972 said:
Jaranja said:
Jiraiya72 said:
Jaranja said:
Too easy? I think you're full of shit. This game is easily twice as hard as the first. Killing zombies never gets old and the whole point of constantly killing zombies is the POINT, not monotonous.
Well maybe you just can't play it as well as some. Killing zombies does get boring, very quickly, in fact. Saying something is twice as hard as another isn't really that smart either; Double 1 is 2 and it's still a small number. I'm really nitpicking now. I'll stop.
Nah, I really think your just full of it.

I played L4D on Expert as a matter of course, and L4D2 is much harder than L4D1 on Expert.

It just sounds like you are one those guys who has to brag about how good they are at things they haven't really done. You probably just played through it on Easy and got bored after one play through.
You're one of those people who thinks they always know exactly what's going on. I have played L4D2 on Expert and I found it easy. Just because you find something hard doesn't mean it's hard for everyone.
Out of curiosity, which campaign did you play? And did you try it with realism enabled?
Played at a friends house so I can't remember the campaign and no, realism was disabled.

I seem to have Dead Center stuck in my mind, that a campaign?
Yes it is. But I seriously doubt that you beat a campaign on Expert if you don't even own the game. Even if you were incredibly good at it, you would need to have incredibly good team mates as well.

Also realism does increase the difficulty.
I'll have to try out realism mode, thanks for the tip.

Really the main reason I don't like the game is because it just always feels like a mod to me. An overpriced mod at that.
Left 4 Dead 2 or Left 4 Dead in general?

And don't expect to much from realism. Yeah it makes the game harder, but there is only one major change between it and campaign that I really noticed; the lack of the highlights surrounding team mates and items. That does have a significant impact on game play, but with properly communication and good observation you can still manage it. I feel that Valve could have done a lot more with realism. Hopefully they'll improve it in the future.
wait, so there's no problem with making headshots almost every time u have to kill a zombie unless you have melee?

Jaranja

Jul 16, 2009
lax4life said:
Jaranja said:
Ok go for expert realism i would like to see you breeze through that in 20 minutes
It's all been said before, I did have a go on Expert and it was still easy. Not tried realism yet.

baconfist

Sep 8, 2009
Great game but I wish they had balanced the versus mode a bit more. You will rarely ever be evenly matched in a versus PUG, and since not many people wanna champion a lost cause whole teams will just quit after half a round. I'd have liked to see something like, if team A has 600 more points then team B spawn 2 tanks next time for team A, or team A gets %50 less zombies.

Rogun11

Apr 10, 2009
Jaranja said:
lax4life said:
Jaranja said:
It's all been said before, I did have a go on Expert and it was still easy. Not tried realism yet.
So let me guess your friend told you how to use cheats you put on noclip and shited pills and guns while killing all zombies in your path. Only way i can see this game as being "Easy" seeing as tank takes 1 hit to down and takes more bullets than Gorden browns career.

KingTiger

Nov 6, 2009
Jaranja said:
What the hell?? Have you even played it? On normal its so hard to survive with the bots, Dark carnival is insane.

I doubt you have even played the game. I played L4D 1 and its was no where near this difficulty. There is always a constant stream of special infected. as well as the walking witch appearing twice in some missions.

Jaranja

Jul 16, 2009
Rogun11 said:
Jaranja said:
lax4life said:
Jaranja said:
So let me guess your friend told you how to use cheats you put on noclip and shited pills and guns while killing all zombies in your path. Only way i can see this game as being "Easy" seeing as tank takes 1 hit to down and takes more bullets than Gorden browns career.
I'm no pushover when it comes to games, you know. I can actually play survival games like this.

JugglerPanda

Apr 23, 2009
Jaranja said:
I'm no pushover when it comes to games, you know. I can actually play survival games like this.
I understand where you're coming from when you say that the sequel is far too easy just from playing Dead Center, but believe me when I say that all of the campaigns are very unique and different in terms of gameplay. I completed Dead Center on expert single player in a little over an hour, but I gave up on Dark Carnival after three hours. There are a lot of different gimmicks for the campaigns that greatly change gameplay, and Dead Center is probably the easiest of the campaigns just because it lacks these gameplay elements.

Rachet922

Jun 24, 2009
Expert+ Realism = Pain.

espically on hard rain, got jockey'd into a witch at least twice, and smoked while a spitter went to town dissolving my shoes. Don't remember where but a charger shot me thru a window for an insta kill.

To the guy saying this is easy, maybe if you don't do it on easy it won't be easy?

ultracheeser

Jul 2, 2009
Personally, I FUCKING HATE THE SPECIAL INFECTED. They ruin the game for me, especially on realism. Me and my friends are having a good time desperately fighting for our survival when a spitter splits us up and a charger tackles someone. It totally ruins the experience.

MBurner 93

Mar 26, 2009
ultracheeser said:
Personally, I FUCKING HATE THE SPECIAL INFECTED. They ruin the game for me, especially on realism. Me and my friends are having a good time desperately fighting for our survival when a spitter splits us up and a charger tackles someone. It totally ruins the experience.
It's kinda the point of the Special Infected to kick your ass. WAY too easy without them.

ultracheeser

Jul 2, 2009
MBurner 93 said:
ultracheeser said:
It's kinda the point of the Special Infected to kick your ass. WAY too easy without them.
There's a difference between kicking ones ass and removing it. The specials are way overpowered. On realism, or even expert or advanced, you can barely kill the tank. It's ridiculous.

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
I have to admit that I wasn't into L4D2... Until I heard about melee weapons.

Honestly, why would you use anything else? I want to reenact that 28 Days Later baseball bat scene!