Review: Monsters vs Aliens

hopeneverdies

Oct 1, 2008
I was dragged to see this. I went in knowing that I was going to be watching a crappy movie. And I was not disappointed in how bad it turned out to be. My parents paid extra to watch it in 3d. What they gave us was a pair of sunglasses and literally one 3d moment in the first 10 seconds.

So the story. Susan, the heroine of the movie, is about to get married to the local news anchor, Derek. Right before the wedding a meteorite falls on her. No problems, just a bit burnt. She is about to exchange vows with Derek when she glows green and becomes a giant. Everyone runs off in terror and the military who had been tracking the meteorite subdue her.
She gets taken to a containment center. There she meets other monsters. You have BOB, which stands for something but I didn't care to remember, a blue blob with an eye and no brain. The Missing Link, a fish man. And a cockroach who used to be a human until he fused himself with one, played by the actor who plays House on House. As well as giant grub that has no lines.
A giant robot from this squid like alien comes to Earth to leech the material from Susan that made her giant. The entire armed forces prepares to attack as the President greets it when it lashes out. Every thing the military throws at is ineffective so they call on the monsters to save the day.
They send Susan and Co. to destroy it, and succeed, however San Francisco is destroyed in the process. Obviously sense they are monsters even though Susan is still human, they all remain alienated. The alien that sent the robot comes directly to Earth to takeover. The group board the ship and try to stop him. And not to spoil this awful movie, I will stop there. I will say they somehow fit DDR in, but all I could think about was Quick Time Event.

The comedy factor was not at all entertaining. Most of it came from situational irony. Unfortunately it is all stuff that you are used to. In fact it's ironic that the irony is not ironic at all. You know exactly when it comes up, so it's boring. When I saw Stephen Colbert playing the President of the USA, I was hoping to get some of his trademark wit. Nope. They portray him as an idiot and a complete wuss. Possibly the only funny moment was what the President's advisors suggest they do to the robot.

Characters weren't that great. Derek remains a jerk, BOB is still stupid, Link doesn't really get developed, and the cockroach dude lost all credibility with DDR. Susan made no changes and the villain had the most annoying voice ever. I think Dreamworks attempted to make like a parallel to Glados with the villain's computer and tried to be funny.

Recommendation: Please don't see it, you'll save yourself money, for a game or something.

neuromasser

Jan 20, 2009
hopeneverdies said:
neuromasser said:
Best review I read here on Escapist, I don't know what to say about that either
Sorry I hit submit before I was ready.
Just kidding :) It was actually good review, except the story part, I don't like to know what the movie is about until I see it >.>

hopeneverdies

Oct 1, 2008
neuromasser said:
hopeneverdies said:
neuromasser said:
Best review I read here on Escapist, I don't know what to say about that either
Sorry I hit submit before I was ready.
Just kidding :) It was actually good review, except the story part, I don't like to know what the movie is about until I see it >.>
Well, I thought it was kinda rushed, but w/e. Thanks.

WaterSnake

Mar 24, 2009
I agree. I really only watched the movie because of the voice actors. Really, this movie was depending on it's voice actors to save it. You can tell because even some of the very small, insignificant parts have big celebrities to play them. All of the humor seemed forced (the dialog went completely off topic just to fit in a one liner) and the 3d was not memorable.

Great review. I agree with you completely!

Shapsters

Dec 16, 2008
Meh, people are always so critical of kids movies, IGN reviewed Madagascar 2 and gave it like a 3/10, I didn't mind it at all. I wasn't planning on seeing this in theatres anyways but it couldn't have been that bad. Especially when you go in knowing that your going to hate it.

GyroCaptain

Jan 7, 2008
I saw this was coming on io9 almost a year ago and figured it had potential, but was worried it might not be done right. I'm sad to hear that.

Cortheya

Elite Member
Jan 10, 2009
hopeneverdies said:
And a cockroach who used to be a human until he fused himself with one, played by the actor who plays House on House.
I may have to see it just for that....Hugh Laurie RULES

Sergeant M. Fudgey

Mar 26, 2009
Well, the voice actors seemed like the only good point, but honestly, I think that Dreamworks' time has come and gone. It was rather short lived, though.

Anarchemitis

Dec 23, 2007
The story was stereotypical of a Child's movie; if you want a good story, go see the Watchmen. The characterization I thought could've been pulled off stronger, but then I'm biased by the insurmountable quality of Pixar. That tied in with the visuals makes me want to say it's half way inbetween The Incredibles and Shrek, with fantastical cartoon aspects and slapstick style.
The visuals although they got the overall details in the cartoony, but still had features clinging for dear life to photorealism, which kind of turned it off for me. It evokes from me a resounding "Meh".
My greatest annoyance would be the Robot battle on the bridge; half the time Reese Witherspoon sounds like she's in labour.

Dark Shroud

Mar 18, 2008
Broloth is dead on. The OP and many of you have no idea what you're talking about. It's not Dreamwork's fault you didn't get the references. This was also far better than Shrek 3.

I enjoyed this movie. And to give some reference I saw the midnight opening (no kids) after watching the last IMAX showing of Watchmen two hours earler (my local just got imax so they only had Watchmen for a week). I think Monster vs Aliens could have been amazing Rated R instead of being a kids film. But it was good none the less. I'm glad I saw it in IMAX, the 3d wasn't needed yet it did not hurt the film. I also enjoyed seeing HD quality in the theater. I usually wait for the Blu-ray release at this point.

Nigh Invulnerable

Jan 5, 2009
Dark Shroud said:
Broloth is dead on. The OP and many of you have no idea what you're talking about. It's not Dreamwork's fault you didn't get the references. This was also far better than Shrek 3.

I enjoyed this movie. And to give some reference I saw the midnight opening (no kids) after watching the last IMAX showing of Watchmen two hours earler (my local just got imax so they only had Watchmen for a week). I think Monster vs Aliens could have been amazing Rated R instead of being a kids film. But it was good none the less. I'm glad I saw it in IMAX, the 3d wasn't needed yet it did not hurt the film. I also enjoyed seeing HD quality in the theater. I usually wait for the Blu-ray release at this point.
Part of my problem with Dreamworks' stuff is the constant need to reference popular culture. I realize that Pixar does this too, but their references seem a little more subtle (most of the time) and imbedded in the story or a character, not thrown out as a punchline for an obvious laugh attempt. Shrek was good, but I have yet to see anything else by Dreamworks that even comes close to Pixar's best.

hopeneverdies

Oct 1, 2008
Broloth said:
My take on the movie and this review:

A lot of the jokes were above a lot of the red neck's heads. I found myself laughing when most of them were scratching their heads. It WAS funny, just because you didn't get the joke doesn't mean it wasn't funny. I beat not many here can name where the monsters even came from. Their existence was in itself pure comedy. Stephen Colbert? Amazing. This movie is a huge parody. It's parodying bad aliens movies that were made, and it's parodying bad monster movies that were made.

The Fly
The Blob
The Creature for the Black Lagoon (who was a "Missing Link") (Lemme guess OP, you didn't laugh at or get the "Inconvenient Truth" joke Link said?)
The Attack of the 50 Foot Woman (oh and Derek was still a douche just like the 50 foot woman's husband was still a douche)
Godzilla's Mothra
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Spaceballs

If you didn't see these things in the movie, than it's your fault you couldn't find the humor.

Stephen Colbert was in it and to say you didn't see his wit and charm is just a false statement. He parodied everything he makes fun off in a President. Sorry he wasn't the Super President you were hoping to see.
HOUSE WAS IN IT
Seth Rogan was in it
Reese Witherspoon was in it
All these people, make the movie worth watching. Was it as good as Kung Fu Panda? In my opinion, no. Was it good nonetheless? Absolutely.

I'm sorry... Since when did Portal make female robot voices original? Incredibles had one, Spaceballs had one, plenty of movies had one, to say it was ripped off from Portals is just a false statement based off being less cultured.

Disclaimer: Besides the last part about Portals, none of the "yous" were actually directed at the OP.

Recommendation: If you're a little more cultured than your average dullard/redneck/ignorant gamer than go see this movie. It was funny and a good time. 3-D wasn't necessary, but it was still cool.

If you're any of the thins I mentioned above, than you will not like this movie because all the good jokes will go over your head, and hell, even the bad jokes will too.

I did get the Inconvenient Truth, but I don't like the whole in-your-face my political idea and sorry about the Glados thing, she genuinely tried to be funny, I will give her that. Most of that stuff was just to make it seem longer. I'm sorry my review isn't to your taste. Hugh Laurie was credible until you know DDR at least.

Could I get a Mod to kill the topic, I really don't feel like thinking about it, or having people stare at my awful writing any longer?

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
Broloth said:
Stephen Colbert was in it and to say you didn't see his wit and charm is just a false statement. He parodied everything he makes fun off in a President. Sorry he wasn't the Super President you were hoping to see.
yeah the only bad thing was he never said "nation ..."

I'm sorry... Since when did Portal make female robot voices original? Incredibles had one, Spaceballs had one, plenty of movies had one, to say it was ripped off from Portals is just a false statement based off being less cultured.
yeah also i do believe Star Trek also had a female computer voice, not totally sure but i think that was before Portal

as for the movie, it was rather entertaining for a kids movie and the 3d was pretty good. also there was more than just in the first 2 mins, 3d doesn't mean coming out at you all the time, if you noticed everything had depth to it, which anything on film doesn't have

as for storyline, it's mostly aimed at kids for story with some humour aimed at adults so they can enjoy it a bit too