Review: Music Game Roundup

Steve Butts

Jun 1, 2010
Review: Music Game Roundup

It's a true battle of the bands as the season?s biggest music titles go head to head against each other.

Read Full Article

Elesar

Apr 16, 2009
Well Rock Band has been doing it better than everyone else since it first came out, so that's no surprise. It even did single band games better than anyone (*coughBeatlescough*)

Dorkmaster Flek

Mar 13, 2008
Rock Band 3 all the way for me. I've been a RB fanatic ever since Harmonix gave up the Guitar Hero brand name. They've simply been doing it better since day one. RB3 is absolutely fantastic, and pro mode is the best thing to happen to the music game genre since the original Guitar Hero as far as I'm concerned. Everything I've been hearing echoes your sentiments on the Mustang pro guitar controller; namely, it's alright, but if you're serious about pro guitar you should wait for the Squier. I am impatiently waiting. :)

twm1709

Nov 19, 2009
I would have liked to see a mention of Rythm Zone. It's an Indy game in the same vein of Audiosurf where the you upload a music and the game processes the notes for you to play. It's a long way to being as polished as these other games but it's a cute alternative.

khaimera

Perfect Strangers
Jun 23, 2009
I'd buy all of them, but first I need to get a second job.

And are there really people out there who care about the story modes? How many ways can we tell the "unknown band/person rises to stardom" through awfully rendered cutscenes?

I'm most excited for DJ hero 2 because I've heard that you can play vocals. That sounds like just the injection of fun that these stagnant games need. I don't think pro mode will appeal to a wide audience that plays these games for fun, not as a learning tool. Thats my opinion anyways.

Srkkl

Apr 1, 2009
Can't wait for my pro drums to get in the mail so I can play pro drums. I've been playing regular Rock Band guitar and it's fantastically fun.

solbadguy37

Sep 27, 2010
guitar hero has gone waaay down hill after GHII, i would rather play the crappy graphics than play shite songs :p

wastaz

Mmm...brains...
Nov 16, 2009
I had a lot of fun with the old DJ hero, however I got the general feeling that the controller couldn't really keep up with the songs. It started glitching pretty early on (which is strange since I'm -really- careful with my videogames and accessories) and playing on higher difficulties with it is currently an exercise in rage and frustration. I heard around and apparently I'm not the only one with this problem. Some guys recommended that I take it apart and modify it a bit, but I'm not really -that- technical...

My question is, is the controller to DJ Hero 2 any better?

Steve Butts

Jun 1, 2010
I don't have much experience with the original DJ Hero controller, but this one was pretty responsive once you got the hang of it. I've been playing with it off an on for a couple of weeks and it's held up so far.

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
Rock Band 3 was the only way to go for me since I have at least 2 games worth of downloads in addition to previous editions. Pro mode isn't really an issue for me cause at most I'm Hard drummer that can play some songs on Expert.

What bothers me is it seems like not many people are playing normal drums or vocals. Too many tracks that I 3 star on hard where I come to be #1-5 on leaderboards.

latenightapplepie

Nov 9, 2008
In theory, I'm not sure I approve of an adversarial, 4-way, 'versus' review like this one. That said, in practice, it didn't bother me so much. I have to think a bit more about this...

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
Am I the only one who thinks the end result of this review is a little unfair? The writer outright stated that he loved Rock Band before 3, so I think it's a bit of a given (though not guaranteed, of course) that he would prefer the latest Rock Band title over the other entries.

But all in all, it's of no consequence to me. I'll just continue to wait patiently for DJ Hero 2 to get restocked up the street so I can "tear it up on the 1s and 2s".

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Oh, dear. That sound. How can you even play that Power Gig game if the guitar sounds like that?

Also, are you dissing Losing My Religion, Steve? Sure, it doesn't really belong in Warriors of Rock... scratch that, R.E.M. belongs everywhere. Everywhere!

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
I like how they are actually trying to impliment use of a real guitar. That might improve it's appearance to those(it sucks because you never really play any music) people which include musicans who refused to add music the games in the past.

daftnoize

Aug 23, 2010
Old music games, umm Amplitude, Frequency, Gitaroo man, Electroplankton... I could go on

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Wouldnt it depend on your music taste? I mean... It seems like DJ Hero 2 is for a semi set audience (at least hardcore fans wise).

tautologico

e^(i * pi) + 1 = 0
Apr 5, 2010
I liked this review format. I was curious about the Power Gig "real guitar" and Rockband Pro mode. I think Rockband 3 is in my wish list now, for sometime in the future (considering that I don't even own a xbox360 or ps3). It would be cool if you could just plug a real guitar and play pro mode :)