Review: New Super Mario Bros. Wii

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
ZippyDSMlee said:
*headdesk* no thanks...this is what you call milking...... give me a proper #D, 3rd person or FP mario game with proper power ups and exploring (mabye tweaked to be more adventure friendly vrs action platformer) and I will eat it up off the wall crap like sunshine and Galaxy I do not want....
Good sir, Galaxy was most certainly not crap. Easily one of the best games this console generation.

Richard Hannay

Nov 30, 2009
Glefistus said:
I don't think co-op mode is worth 50 bucks.
Fair enough.

Glefistus said:
Besides, the co-op mode makes it an easier game by giving you more slack in deaths, making the game a title for scrubnubs.
By my (and the reviewers') experience, you actually die more in multiplayer.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
CantFaketheFunk said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
*headdesk* no thanks...this is what you call milking...... give me a proper #D, 3rd person or FP mario game with proper power ups and exploring (mabye tweaked to be more adventure friendly vrs action platformer) and I will eat it up off the wall crap like sunshine and Galaxy I do not want....
Good sir, Galaxy was most certainly not crap. Easily one of the best games this console generation.
I am over stating of coarse because I haz a puny ego, but still I found both sunshine and galaey annoying its not the pure mario adventure I dreamt about and have wanted done( RIGHT!!) since Mario 64 got it half right........

Tharticus

Dec 10, 2008
The New Super Mario Brothers Wii is going back to it's roots among adding more stuff to it.

However, there's one thing I like to point out is the controls. The controls on NSMBW on Wiimote sideways feels a bit a pain in the butt and the classic game controller should fix that.

And yes, it's frustrating. Much to the Lost Levels.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
The tilting platforms don't bother me, but the fact you have to move the controller to use the propeller thing dose. Feels so unnecessary.

Sewblon

Nov 5, 2008
I fear that I must disagree with your assessment of value, I never really liked Little Big Planet, the controls were not responsive enough for me and I kept switching depth levels when I didn't want to. I guess deep down I will always be a Nintendfan.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Glefistus said:
Richard Hannay said:
Glefistus said:
If you want to play Super Mario Bros. Wii by yourself, go buy a previous Mario platformer. It will be exactly the same, and probably easier to play than with a wiimote.
Fixed.

But yeah, if you're gonna play alone, then I'd say there's nothing to merit dropping the amount on the price tag for it. You're right, but I think the co-op multiplayer distinction is an important one.
I don't think co-op mode is worth 50 bucks. Besides, the co-op mode makes it an easier game by giving you more slack in deaths, making the game a title for scrubnubs.
I think we can all see that co-op is actually more difficult, also is specifically states that in the review. Also, "co op is for scrubs"? Really, did you really just say that? I don't suppose it could've possibly been put in there for I dont know...FUN?

But yes OT: Maybe I'll force my mate to steal his wii back from his mother and buy this.

pneuma08

Gaming Connoisseur
Sep 10, 2008
There's something I don't quite like about Mr. Dream's reviews, and I can't quite put my finger on it. Maybe it's because he goes on to ramble a bit (how does Mario and Sonic's rivalry 17 years ago really affect the current market and justify the $50 price tag now?) or how he shifts gears somewhat abruptly from paragraph to paragraph. Or how he waffles a bit, in this case he spends the first half of the review praising nostalgia factor, with new and fun additions but compared to Little Big Planet somewhat lacking or how it has "moments of genuine inspiration" and "novel additions" and "never feels phoned in, just familiar" but at the end implies that the series is not fresh and calls it "a $50 trip down memory lane" in a negative sense.

Sorry, I didn't mean to turn this into a mini-rant. I don't normally pay much attention to who writes the reviews, but this isn't the first time I've stopped midway to ask myself, "Who wrote this?" only to find out it's Mr. Dream.

Jon Etheridge said:
I want to play it but I'll wait until the price drops to about $25 - $30. It looks awesome but it does render itself to the "been there, done that" feeling in my brain.
You'll be waiting a long, long time then. New Super Mario Bros DS is still going at full price and it's over 3 and a half years old (!).

Aura Guardian said:
Casual Shinji said:
When all else fails, aim for the nostalgia.
When were they failing?
Since Wii console sales started dipping.

Jon Etheridge

Appsro Animation
Apr 28, 2009
Aura Guardian said:
Jon Etheridge said:
I want to play it but I'll wait until the price drops to about $25 - $30. It looks awesome but it does render itself to the "been there, done that" feeling in my brain.
Good luck seeing that price tag. (Unless its a sale but it's rare for a Mario game to be discounted)
In the store, yes. On craigslist or a local game trading site, no. A lot of the times I will do a trade. I get a game I want and someone else gets a game they want and there's normally no cash involved. Sometimes someone will do a trade a newer game for an older game and they will ask for $10 or $20 depending on how new the game still is.

But yeah, in stores like Gamestop the price will stay the same for a good while.

evilartist

Nov 9, 2009
tbh New Super Mario Bros. for Nintendo DS was a real letdown. I'm still pretty skeptical about the Wii edition.

Arcane Azmadi

Jan 23, 2009
Ah, stop whining about the price, damn you! We Australians get gouged for $80-$100 on EVERY new game. I'd say WE'RE the ones who have something to complain about, thank you very much!

Hat of Controversy

Nov 11, 2009
Considering that this is basically nothing more than a slightly spruced up console version of the New Super Mario Bros DS, and that the only real addition is the co-op, AND also considering the fact that I have no friends, I'll have to let this pass...

Byers

Nov 21, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
3D Mario is not Mario.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Byers said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
3D Mario is not Mario.
Whatever helps you sleep at night, champ.

Byers

Nov 21, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
Byers said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
3D Mario is not Mario.
Whatever helps you sleep at night, champ.
Science has proven that the link between vocalizing opinions in the field of Italian plumbers is directly linked to one's nocturnal comfort. You should try it.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
"(Except for Super Mario Bros. 2, of course - Nintendo would rather forget about that abomination.)"

YES! I say we officially rip the Mario gift wrap over the turd known as Doki Doki Panic and send it back to the abyss where it belongs. Just remember Nintendo, you can wrap a turd in whatever pretty wrapping paper you want, but it's still a turd.

Donrad

Aug 21, 2008
everyone i ask says its just "fun"
i mostly game alone so i think i'll skip this one