Review: Red Dead Redemption

Uncompetative

Jul 2, 2008
I just received my copy this morning and I am enjoying it immensely. The first Rockstar game that hasn't felt fantastically awkward and clumsy.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Fantastic single-player. I've just arrived at Mexico...and don't have a SINGLE CRIME on my in-game crime stats menu. I'm as honorable as they come.

I hate the online, though.

Everyone just kills each other in free roam...and there's no "Friendly fire off" option. Even playing with friends, we accidentally pistol whip each other to death in close quarters fights against bandits.

And the actual multiplayer modes are...terrible.

Although, I do like how your character auto-runs in MP. I'm sick of holding A for pretty much the entire game to run...GTA IV did that, too. Pissed me off.

Dr. Awesome Face

Jan 11, 2010
i got this last week and still haven't been able toi play it because the first time i put the disc in my damn 360 died. I can't even send it in to get fixed until Friday.

This review has not helped my situation.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
Red Dead Redemption is an amazing game. The only problem was choosing between it and Alan Wake... RD:R won the day in that battle. There's so much to do it's not even funny. It's just an overly fun game that one could play for hours on end.

Also, when the review said 'Mount A Horse,' my mind went to a bad place. XD

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
Oh, a Rockstar game again. What, no cousin? Pre-ordered this yesterday. GTAs never managed to win me over. Westerns? Ooooooh yeah, I get to be a Marshall! God, I love that badge. Do you get to wear one?

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
Kapol said:
Also, when the review said 'Mount A Horse,' my mind went to a bad place. XD
You dirty dirty person (Glad I'm not the only one)

Both the bad taste left by GTA4 and the fact I've never been a big fan of westerns means I'll save this for the Summer Lull when I will hopefullybe able to pick it up a bit cheaper.

Acalla

Dec 21, 2009
So the Editor-in-Chief got to review the coolest game to come out in a while... I guess its good to be king! The review was right on target. This is a great game.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
My only real issue is that I get very annoyed with the main character.

It's not fun to play as a guy who gets ordered around 99% of the time. I had the same problem with GTA 4.

And practically all GTA games I've played.

Still, great fun.

Uncompetative

Jul 2, 2008
I'm glad I went straight into free roam. I thought the controls were well worked out, although (A) could have been swapped with LB, so it was far easier to sprint and deliberately harder to draw your weapon as you would have to move your thumb off the stick and back again thereby making some dextrous players "quicker on the draw".

After spending a 'night' through to the break of dawn clearing a bandit hideout, I realised what this game reminded me of...

Oblivion.

...only with guns and a far larger, multiplayer, environment.

Anyone who disputes this comparison on the basis that Red Dead Redemption doesn't have any magic in it hasn't seen the sunset.

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
Awesome, I feel like I've been waiting ages for this review. It's a definite buy for me now, though I'm still gonna try and complete my Big Boss Extreme playthrough of MGS4 first, will probably end up leaving FFXIII for a while, in favor of Red Dead. Looking forward to it!

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
The tutorial is only half-an-hour? Wow, big improvement over GTA4 already. Looking forward to playing this thing when it gets to PC.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I have completed main story, and it was epic throughout. Its just amazing! UI love everything from looks to the design, to the characters.

Real Golden Game!

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
DaxStrife said:
The tutorial is only half-an-hour? Wow, big improvement over GTA4 already. Looking forward to playing this thing when it gets to PC.
I'm afraid it's more of an 'if' than a 'when' at the moment. I hope Rockstar will announce the game for PC, because quite frankly the controls would be far better on a keyboard, in addition to amping up the graphics even more...

But anyway, the review is spot on, but there is one very fun feature that was notably absent: Treasure Hunting! Come on, name one game where you get treasure maps that don't outright tell you where to look?
But yeah, definitely recommend this game. It pretty much takes all the good bits of GTA, removes the bad bits, adds a great story (and STUNNINGLY BEAUTIFUL terrain), and hogties your fucking cousin and leaves him on the train tracks (which you incidentally can do. quite fun...).

Poomanchu745

Sep 11, 2009
Better than GTA because you can actually kill the baddies without a fucking entire squadron of cops coming down on your ass. As long as you keep to killing bad guys at your own discretion, no one really gives a damn and that's what makes the game so much better than GTA. The game is amazing even if the story seems a little disjointed at times due to the way the quests are set up.

soapyshooter

That Guy
Jan 19, 2010
Jaredin said:
I have completed main story, and it was epic throughout. Its just amazing! UI love everything from looks to the design, to the characters.

Real Golden Game!
Were you disappointed with the ending? It seemed to be less grand than the rest of the game :/
Still a great game nonetheless, it has its flaws but still achieves greatness.