Review: Risen

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Review: Risen

This could have been a really awesome game ... if it were still 2002.

Read Full Article

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
The graphics aren't THAT bad, you really are exagerrating a bit there. However, what is bad is that the game has trouble running on a machine that plays Crysis due to a poorly coded engine and the use of PhysX.

Beyond that, while the points in the review ARE technically true, it's not as bad as it sounds. The timing based combat does take a bit to get used to, but it also means that once you get a handle on it you can face enemies beyond your level. Granted, it also means a porcupine is going to rape you if you suck at it.

Overall, it just feels like the game simply didn't sit well with you and you haven't given it a fair chance. I've had that with some games such as Burnout: Paradise and proceeded to dismiss them after barely scratching the surface. However, I don't write reviews for a serious gaming site.

There's plenty to like and dislike about Risen, it's just that this review never gets to any of that stuff. This is more like a "First look at Risen"...

Hallvard

Apr 15, 2009
Hmm, well I completely disagree with this review. I finished Risen yesterday and I loved every moment of it. Comparing Risen's graphics to a 2004 game? Spoken like a true graphics whore.
Combat works great when you get used to it. No idea how you managed to die so much, hold down parry/block untill there's an opening and do a couple of attacks. And stay away from enemies that are obviously to hard to kill at a early stage in the game.
And agree with Jandau, this is not really a review, more of a "First look" from someone who apparently failed completely, got pissed off and went to write a "review"

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Jandau said:
The graphics aren't THAT bad, you really are exagerrating a bit there. However, what is bad is that the game has trouble running on a machine that plays Crysis due to a poorly coded engine and the use of PhysX.

Beyond that, while the points in the review ARE technically true, it's not as bad as it sounds. The timing based combat does take a bit to get used to, but it also means that once you get a handle on it you can face enemies beyond your level. Granted, it also means a porcupine is going to rape you if you suck at it.

Overall, it just feels like the game simply didn't sit well with you and you haven't given it a fair chance. I've had that with some games such as Burnout: Paradise and proceeded to dismiss them after barely scratching the surface. However, I don't write reviews for a serious gaming site.

There's plenty to like and dislike about Risen, it's just that this review never gets to any of that stuff. This is more like a "First look at Risen"...
Technically, no. The graphics aren't that bad, but the models and animations more than make up for them. Haven't given it a fair chance? If I played the game for an hour and shut it off, you'd be right. If I sink hours into a game and don't enjoy a single minute of it - if I try to get to the meat of the game and can't due to a poor combat engine, a rather slow beginning, and just a general lack of polish - I think that's more than a fair chance.

The combat isn't timing based; it's awkward and reaction based, and means that I spent time actively trying ways to get around playing the game as it should be - figuring out that if I dash to the side right as I end the third hit of a combo, I can start a new combo quicker, unequipping my weapons because human enemies can't recover in time to block like they can if I'm using a sword or a mace.

Warning people that they'll have to sink hours into this game to even start getting to the stuff that "might" be good is a perfectly valid conclusion.

domicius

Apr 2, 2008
10 hours? Really? Dude, you're not even trying. Come back when you've done at least 50 hours... it's an RPG!

Although you have, cogently, explained why I myself wouldn't buy an RPG. I mean, who has 10 hours?

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
I'm a big fan of the Gothic series but I have to agree with the reviewer that the model graphics and character animations are sub-standard.
The combat of Gothic-style games has always been a difficuilt point for newcomers. But I thought combat in Gothic 1 and 2 was excellent, Gothic 3 was terrible, and Risen seems to be somewhere in between.

Still, I think that most RPG fans will be able to look past the shortcomings to enjoy a deep RPG experience. And Risen only costs 38? in Germany, which is 25% less than the usual 50? pricetag, so I guess the devs are aware of the fact that concerning graphics, they aren't offering an AAA title.

Wolcik

Jul 18, 2009
If the game is good enough by itself than there will be patches (not neccesary official) that will fix some of texures or animations - but that's only if the game is good...

I never could get myself into the world of Gothic as it has diffren stering style than I'm used to and enjoy - it's a game in which expert player can kill monsters at least 10 lvls stronger, while someone that doesn't posses such skill will die by the jaws of beasts 10 lvls lower.

The biggest question for me would be "How much like Gothic is it?" because from what I see and hear it's not a game for me...

ObnoxiousPotatoe

Aug 5, 2009
The best thing about the game is that you can finally have your vengeance on those goddamn wild boars.
Cookie to the person who knows what I'm talking about.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
Jandau said:

Technically, no. The graphics aren't that bad, but the models and animations more than make up for them. Haven't given it a fair chance? If I played the game for an hour and shut it off, you'd be right. If I sink hours into a game and don't enjoy a single minute of it - if I try to get to the meat of the game and can't due to a poor combat engine, a rather slow beginning, and just a general lack of polish - I think that's more than a fair chance.

The combat isn't timing based; it's awkward and reaction based, and means that I spent time actively trying ways to get around playing the game as it should be - figuring out that if I dash to the side right as I end the third hit of a combo, I can start a new combo quicker, unequipping my weapons because human enemies can't recover in time to block like they can if I'm using a sword or a mace.

Warning people that they'll have to sink hours into this game to even start getting to the stuff that "might" be good is a perfectly valid conclusion.
As I said, you get to not like the game, and I agree it has its flaws. However, I was criticizing your review, not your oppinion. It's like you went out of your way to put a negative spin on everything in it.

For instance, you say how voice acting is great, writing is solid and characters are interesting, but how it's all ruined by a somewhat limited selection of arm movements during conversations. Seriously? Limited gesturing capability is enough for you to discount all the other stuff?

Combat IS timing based. You time your clicks correctly and you get faster attacks, or you get parries, or you time your dodges just when the enemy attacks so you get an opening and bash his head. If you time your clicks correctly and pull off a fast combo, more attacks will land before the enemy gets to defend. Also, it's supposed to be hard and you're supposed to get better at it as the game goes by. Your argument is that you can't pwn faces straight from the get-go...

And finally, you top it all off by saying the JUMPING was the breaking point. Really? That's what ruins a game for you? Somewhat inaccurate jumping mechanics in a game where jumping only plays a minor role? And then you say that it's also bad when the character dodges fast...

I'm not saying you have to like the game. You have an oppinion just as we all do. All I'm saying is that the review sounded nitpicky and unprofessional.

Khada

Night Angel
Jan 8, 2009
the gothic games shared many similar downfalls (including the bad jumps lol) yet were still wonderfully imersive titles that never left me bored. that said, this game does seem to fall short of gothic 3 which isnt a great sign.

ps. if u like rpgs/shooter.. get mass effect, played about 15hrs so far and LOVING EVERY BIT OF IT.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
i tried the demo and i found the dialog to be forced, and not just because you cant skip it(i know the dialog is an important part of any role playing game, but sometimes i just dont need a a 2 min motivational speak to go to the next city), but its so awkwardly written, it all seemed repetitive "i will not follow you, because my legs are tired, and the fire is warm, and im cold, also my foot hurts so i will not follow you, but i might later, because i need to go to the city, because i need food, and a place to stay, and some new clothes, so leave without me", and the combat and animations truly are, well not horrible but below adequate, the female character you find on the beach really looks weird, as she is an possible love interest her breasts needs to be huge, but they just look weird, as im she putted two t shirts in her bra.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Yeah, to be fair the demo made me think of Age of Conan; in a bad way. Especially the start point, washed up on a beach in a 'bleh' foresty area. Same as AoC.

Geamo

Aug 27, 2008
I tried out the demo, and I have to agree. The combat system, to me, was quite badly implemented; i'm able to hold down parry whenever a bird hits me, but with a porcupine? I couldn't find a way of blocking any of its attacks, and resolved to hitting it whilst it took down my health.

Also, it took me about ten minutes after sitting on a damn bench to figure out how to get up again; space to sit, but both mouse-clicks to stand up again? Madness!

I was also wondering about the skill points; I looked around everywhere for something to happen with it, but got no response. A meh game, I won't be buying it.

odifire

Oct 8, 2009
Beat the game "for the don" the first time and tried being a mage the second time around.
After the first 5 mins I quit playing, the jumping thing got me and I imagined the rest of the game would be subpar. Boredom (and memories of Diablo) made me give it another chance.

The combat is a bit quarky at first because it's not intuitive. It doesn't flow, it is more effective to trade barrages of blows or blocks. But the reviewer is right, I did find my self trying to exploit combat (mostly by quick save/quick load). There are fights that you are not suppose to win. Like that one in the video with Alric, but there is also a mini quest to get him drunk and switch his sword with the lowest damage weapon in the game.

The game can be punishing if things are not done in order the maker intended.

The story is interesting enough to keep me going. Once you are powerful enough or mastered the combat dungeon crawling/exploration is rewarding. But the last boss seems like something out of the newest Prince of Persia.

swaki: right click advances dialog

hansari

May 31, 2009
Man, I wanna try this game now just to see whats up with all the complaints on combat.

Cause it sounds good in theory...doesn't require simple timing like in Assassins Creed.

TurtleBlob

Sep 17, 2009
My only gripe was that battles were incredibly unfair. I take something like 20 hits to kill Alric and he takes 3. With a club. A club that (for me) does 8 dmg. Come on!.

Now, I get the whole he's so much better than you thing but it wasn't like I was playing out of my league, this was strictly storyline stuff, with all the staff training available and a bunch of STR.

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
I love combat in this game, do you know why? IT IS HARD!!! You cant just pew pew! It has a steep learning curve and I think for some people that makes games bad. Well I am sorry but yes! This game may not be for you!

The Story is good, the faction system ( a little borked sure ) is fun and intuitive plus it has an awesome crafting system and environment.

I dont think the reviewer really gets this game. A true RPG player doesnt care about graphics, shit we use our imaginations to play D&D. But arm movements have blown this game for you? Really? Jumping? WTF?

Did you mention how all the quests were fun and non grindy and that the array of weapons, armor and skills leads to an obscene amount of character customization?

Lost a little respect for you today Funk. This should be retitled from review to opinion.