Review: Second Skin

Gunner_Guardian

Jul 15, 2009
This is now my favorite documentary of all time. My only complaint is that it focused too much on extreme cases and never the casual players (or at least to people who play MMO *only* 2-4 hours per day).

Erlec

Apr 14, 2009
Gunner_Guardian said:
This is now my favorite documentary of all time. My only complaint is that it focused too much on extreme cases and never the casual players (or at least to people who play MMO *only* 2-4 hours per day).
That true, however the media focus on these extreme players whenever there is a news story about it and not about the people who play it very shortly.
I found my self interested in the statistic, but does anyone know where it actually comes from? Which game? When?

Nov 5, 2007
Thank God there's a site that let us watch it outside of the evil galactic empire... eh i mean the States.

Emperorpeng

Jun 29, 2009
Gunner_Guardian said:
Well, that wouldn't make for very interesting viewing, now would it?

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
DamienHell said:
"did you know that one out of every three female MMOG players will start a relationship with someone they've met in-game?"
Problem is there is ONLY 3 female MMO players.
Actually, no. That's another thing you'd learn in the documentary ;)
I laughed. My Guild-masters in WoW actually met in Diablo II and are now in a happy relationship. I'm gonna have to pick this up and see what it's like. If there's a part about broken in-game dice I will be hooked.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
ShadowKirby said:
Thank God there's a site that let us watch it outside of the evil galactic empire... eh i mean the States.
We are generous like that. Plus nobody really knows who really is in charge here. MWAHAHAHAHA! >:)
==Posted by Bob the Janitor==datestamped 08102009
Edit: Crud! That wasn't supposed to do that!
==Posted by Bob the Unemployed==datestamped 08102009

Seriously, that does sound interesting, will definitely take a lookylooky. 1 in 3, eh? Hmmmm

Woem

May 28, 2009
The toilet paper scene at 21:00 is priceless. "Can't you air-dry?" "Did you poo?"

Dahemo

Aug 16, 2008
One of the best documentaries I've seen this year, which is an acheivement given my current Louis Theroux addiction. Brilliantly insightful and quite moving in a lot of ways, couldn't help but feel sorry for the guy with the lip piercing in the house of four gamers, he seemed very affected by his two friends moving away.

I agree with the previous point that it was very well balanced, exploring not only the addiction but also the concepts of society, escapism, relationships, friendship and also some incredibly troubling statistics. I've never been an MMO subscriber, I've played several free to plays at one time or another, and trialled WoW but even I felt the pull into that game, it is addictive.

Really thought provoking, thankyou for alerting us to this...

Destal

Jul 8, 2009
I was not surprised, but quite shocked at the people who literally threw their life away for a game. Admittedly, for those kinds of people if it hadn't been WoW, I'm sure it would have been the bar or something else to occupy all their time.

VZLANemesis

Jan 29, 2009
Just saw it, Awesome movie. What's the song at the end?
The "I just can't seem to grow up" rap thing.

Chimaera

Niche Game Fangirl
Oct 28, 2005
Rather thought provoking watch over the weekend, and filled with itty bitty facts even I wasn't aware of. The extreme cases were sad, but I enjoyed the 'non-judgemental' approach the documentary took, allowing us to decide for ourselves how strange/pathetic/laughable some of the situations presented were.

Diddy_King

Jul 9, 2009
Though I quit WoW about a year ago I decided to give this a watch. It was actually really interesting and it had it's moments where a shiver went down your spine when you hear what some of these people went through because of gaming. There were also moments that caused your heart to warm when you hear what some of these people accomplished through gaming, such as the handicapped kid who feels that gaming has made him a better person. Overall it was a great watch and I reccomend it to gamers and non-gamers alike.

cocoadog

Oct 9, 2008
i got as for as world of war craft then stopped and got angry enough to post a comment. shudder*