Review: Shadow Complex

Silly_Billy

Jul 29, 2009
I don't really like 2.5 D games but if I had to get one this would be it. I liked this review but I just don't feel you said anything negative that makes me wary of hidden problems. I also loved the Jesus Lizard reference.

Silk_Sk

Mar 25, 2009
I did not read this review. I got about 2 sentences in and am currently downloading it and will be playing it all night.

Jul 9, 2008
I played the demo and thought it was kind of meh. I might download this if I wasn't so pressed for cash, but as it is, I'm choosing between this and the new DLC for Mass Effect.

KazNecro

Jun 1, 2009
Good game! I especially liked how the designers made getting some the hidden items a test of 'lateral' thinking. But my favorite thing was the foam. It's AWESOME stuff. I was reminded of Magic Sand when I was using it, and some of the weird stuff you can sculpt with it. When I got unlimited foam towards the end of the game, I was making foam sculptures everywhere I went. Ah, such wonderful childhood memories...

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
I'm glad to see someone else has seen Cliffy B's blatent anti-subterranian humanoid (we will not use their HATE name, Locust) sentiments. The audacity of such a racist game where these noble creatures are portrayed as world destroying monsters simply because they live underground, torture their prisoners and like the taste of the other other other white meat is sickening.

cthulhumythos

Aug 28, 2009
im a HUGE metriod side scroller fan, so i loved this game, one problem is the aiming, which is fine for everyone unless they're besides you were you just gotta hope the auto-target locks on to them.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
orannis62 said:
I played the demo and thought it was kind of meh. I might download this if I wasn't so pressed for cash, but as it is, I'm choosing between this and the new DLC for Mass Effect.
Get Shadow Complex - it'll last you longer and the Mass Effect DLC is terrible. It's just arenas you've already fought in with various targets to meet - it gets old after 10 minutes (theres no mission or really any story element at all), and, as reviews have stated just really shows the blatant flaws in Mass Effects combat system.

Jul 9, 2008
D_987 said:
orannis62 said:
Get Shadow Complex - it'll last you longer and the Mass Effect DLC is terrible. It's just arenas you've already fought in with various targets to meet - it gets old after 10 minutes (theres no mission or really any story element at all), and, as reviews have stated just really shows the blatant flaws in Mass Effects combat system.
Black Lincon told me it was good and besides, you know me. How can I pass up ME DLC? So long as we aren't talking alternate paint jobs for the Normandy (what I picture as ME's version of horse armor), I have to get it. And yes, I'm very much aware of the fact I'm a fanboy.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
orannis62 said:
D_987 said:
orannis62 said:
Black Lincon told me it was good and besides, you know me. How can I pass up ME DLC? So long as we aren't talking alternate paint jobs for the Normandy (what I picture as ME's version of horse armor), I have to get it. And yes, I'm very much aware of the fact I'm a fanboy.
You'll regret it. Let's just say I was shocked at how poor it was, possibly because they are working on Mass Effect 2. We are in a sense talking about Horse Armour because your getting next to nothing new, just timed battles in small environments you've already fought in. Oh and by the way I've sent you a fried request on Xbox Live.

Jul 9, 2008
D_987 said:
orannis62 said:
D_987 said:
orannis62 said:
You'll regret it. Let's just say I was shocked at how poor it was, possibly because they are working on Mass Effect 2. We are in a sense talking about Horse Armour because your getting next to nothing new, just timed battles in small environments you've already fought in. Oh and by the way I've sent you a fried request on Xbox Live.
I'll keep that in mind, but it's very likely that it will be a moot point, as, due to my situation I'd rather not explain, MS Space Bucks are hard for me to come by.

Also, cool. Don't be insulted if I don't accept it right away, I'm going away for a few days starting early tomorrow.

Razorback0z

Feb 10, 2009
Giantdragon said:
If you're going to mention that Orson Scott Card is against gay marriage, I think it would be fair to mention things like he's a prolific, excellent sci-fi/fantasy writer. He wrote Ender's Game. If that was all he ever did, he would still be deserving of some respect; suming him up as a guy fighting against gay marriage is like referring to Thomas Jefferson as "that guy who endorsed slavery."
But he was...

Just like Einstein was the guy with the funny hair.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
I downloaded it and have loved playing it. Having said that I love the castlevania titles... althought the upcoming 3d adventure style CV fills me with dread.

I don't care about Cards views on homosexuality, the same way I don't care if the guy in subway is a member of the BNP, jus gimme my game/samij!

G1eet

Mar 25, 2009
I don't see why people are complaining about Card's background; just talk about the game. We have more than enough threads already devoted to that controversy.

After seeing many reviews by Susan and Funk, it's nice to see other members add their two cents on games. Great review Jordan; nice humor throughout.

Hehehe, "like a Jesus Christ lizard".

Dhatz

Aug 18, 2009
even from the videos, I can tell the game lacks any realism of animations, and that will cause unpleasant feeling in persons such as me. Then it has 2D gameplay, there is so much more possibilities than with 3D ,because controlling two of them is much simplier than 3. I just can't play games that can't surprass what I am expecting to be there. I mean I don't want to play this game, or not any othjer of it's type, because I got bored of such things years ago and it would require awesome story, gameplay and cinematics to attract me to it again.

FROGGEman2

Queen of France
Mar 14, 2009
L.B. Jeffries said:
I'll separate the artist from his work when he's dead. Alive, I can still hold him accountable.
I'm loving this ^.^

I just wish I had an xbox360/PC-that-didn't-make-me-vomit-with-shame so I could play this.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
First game I played on my x360 (just finished dark sector and Resident evil 5), can't believe how much fun I had with this game, considering I'm quite bad at games like castlevania etc ...

SomeUnregPunk

Jan 15, 2009
Dhatz said:
even from the videos, I can tell the game lacks any realism of animations, and that will cause unpleasant feeling in persons such as me. Then it has 2D gameplay, there is so much more possibilities than with 3D ,because controlling two of them is much simplier than 3. I just can't play games that can't surprass what I am expecting to be there. I mean I don't want to play this game, or not any othjer of it's type, because I got bored of such things years ago and it would require awesome story, gameplay and cinematics to attract me to it again.
what games has true realism in animations?

joystickjunki3

Nov 2, 2008
I love this game and can't stop playing it.

I don't generally like to bring other topics into comments about a game and the review thereof, but I'm sick of this shit about condemning the game because you don't agree w/ Card's stance on gay marriage. I understand not wanting to fund an anti-gay marriage outfit, but hating him for having a belief is unjust. What's more is that Card barely had any involvement w/ the development of the game.