Review: Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Review: Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X.

H.A.W.X. might not quite let you live up to all of your Top Gun fantasies, but it will let you buzz the White House and U.S. Capitol without getting arrested or shot down.

Read Full Article

Headwuend

Oct 27, 2008
I've played the demo and didn't really care for it after half an hour. I mainly blame this on Falcon 4.0, which I admittedly never mastered, but had fun nonetheless with. Of course Falcon is much more of a simulation (pretty much the simulation in fact), but you could set it up close to an arcade-like gameplay without feeling any less in control of your plane. Every enemy plane shot down is an accomplishment.

HAWX on the other hand just can't give you the feeling of anything like the true air combat of Falcon: Where you have the option of starting up your jet in hangar right after having hopped into the cockpit or jumping into the scenario while being ready for take-off or even being airborne, already on your way to your objective or even already there and ready for the action, all you can do in HAWX is the very latter. Where you have to carefully choose targets while constantly requesting intel from an E3 Sentry, you have a pack of enemy planes that are to be shot down. Where you have to even more carefully outmaneuver opponents, you just jerk around your flightstick and are behind them. Where you have to put your multitasking abilities to the limit (at the maximum reality setup) in order to lock on your target, HAWX does it for you. Where you're tensely waiting for the 'SHOOT' appearing on your HUD while you barely manage to keep the enemy in front of you and finally let loose a pair of sidewinders, all HAWX gives you is a *beep, sh00t missle nao*. And where you can bring yourself safely home again up to the point where all that's left is climbing out of the cockpit or just quit the mission after fulfilling your objective, again HAWX only lets you do the latter.

If you want Top Gun, you'll want Falcon. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6olATcv364] ;)

But Falcon with HAWX's graphics and voice command feature would be über.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
Did that A-10 just break the sound barrier while doing a flip?
Hmm... It's a toss between this game, or a copy of Axis and Allies...

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
I'll be renting this game next time I'm at the video store. I was really exited for this one but still it seems like an alright game.

bencedars

Mar 19, 2009
anyone out there who's played the game, would u recommend it. im toying with the idea of a new 360 and im wondering which games to get. ive never played any kind of flying sim or anything like that. is it difficult to pick up and play or is there a fair amount of ardous learning and skill requirement to play it well enough to enjoy?

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
bencedars said:
anyone out there who's played the game, would u recommend it. im toying with the idea of a new 360 and im wondering which games to get. ive never played any kind of flying sim or anything like that. is it difficult to pick up and play or is there a fair amount of ardous learning and skill requirement to play it well enough to enjoy?
This is definitely more of an arcade-y game than a flight sim. It's been ages since I last exercised my flight muscles and I was still able to pick it up very quickly. Rent it if you're not sure :)

Lightnix

Mar 19, 2009
I noticed in the review it states that when you blow things up, nothing gets left behind, no shell, no nothing. That's with the 360 version, as indicated by the footnote of the article. That seems kind of weird, I was playing the PC demo last week and I could swear I saw things blow up when you machine gunned them, and shells of planes fall as I shot them down. It's probably a discrepancy between the settings used on the 360 and the settings I used on my PC, still, odd nonetheless as I wouldn't have thought that would be very resource intensive, it seems like a strange thing to leave out.

That said, I quite liked it. I'm not really a fan of flight simulators (I dislike learning curves), but I love the 'feeling' of arcade style flight combat games (I loved Lylat Wars, although that was on-rails and released donkey's years ago). I really liked the HAWX demo, for whatever reason, but the three planes in the demo, like you said in your full review for the 360, did handle exactly alike. Still, I liked it, and am getting it for the PC tomorrow. The demo was much more fun with a flight stick than the keyboard, though. No idea how it plays like on a pad.

I'll probably end up playing it a bit and getting bored of it, but whatever.

Lt. Dragunov

Sep 25, 2008
I kindda sortta played the demo. As in loaded the game, looked at the controls, went like O_O, they played killzone 2.

reaper_2k9

Keeper of the Beer
Oct 22, 2008
Played the demo and the only thing I didn't like about it was the free mode just because of the camera angle and in the assisted mode the game felt sluggish.
But Its a game I will pick up because I love these kind of flying games.

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
I was hoping it'd control a little more like Blazing Angels then I would be owning the skies but since it doesn't you all don't have to worry about getting shot out the sky 5,000 times

xormentor

Mar 23, 2009
hey every one look at this awesome video i made of Tom Clancy's Hawx!!!!!!!!!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtSHlVDHvmM

Dthincrnte

Mar 29, 2009
I thought it was an awesome game. I could have played it forever. And yes assistance off mode takes a few levels to get used to fighting in it completely but once I did, I hardly flew any other way. As for the review itself I thought it was very detailed but the video review was kind of boring. I think if I had watched this review before playing the game I never would have played it in the first place.

notyouraveragejoe

Dehakchakala!
Nov 8, 2008
I got H.A.W.X and I personally loved it. I have never played a flying game yet this one seemed interesting. I got it and haven't regretted it. I find it is a great deal of fun and just good for a quick muck about 1000 metres and climbing. I also really liked Assistance off, it was cinematic and pretty darn fun.